Losing out

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
A lot of my friends ask if I think Garretts job is in trouble and I always say no, seems like majority here feel the same. But if he doesn't win another game for the rest of the season without Romo, does that spark change?

Carolina looked great last night and I don't blame that on any one thing. This is a going forward question. And I realise he got a new contract, but no wins with out Romo should be an official Cowboys stat: WWR.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A lot of my friends ask if I think Garretts job is in trouble and I always say no, seems like majority here feel the same. But if he doesn't win another game for the rest of the season without Romo, does that spark change?

Carolina looked great last night and I don't blame that on any one thing. This is a going forward question. And I realise he got a new contract, but no wins with out Romo should be an official Cowboys stat: WWR.
Things could get interesting if Payton gets fired

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I just can't see Jerry reversing course so hard after just extending Garrett's contract. I don't think it matters what happens the rest of the year as long as the team doesn't totally quit on him.

Now, if they quit and totally start mailing it in like they're doing down in Philly these last couple of weeks? I think that could raise some questions, but even then, I'm not getting my hopes up.

canters

Reaction score
Garrett will get a pass. If Romo remained healthy AND we lost out, then I would agree that JG was in trouble.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Things could get interesting if Payton gets fired

I'm on the Payton bandwagon for sure. I think I'd keep Linehan though, he and Payton could do wonders for an offense.

Sadly, we just gave knucklehead, no IQ Dez a big contract. I would love to see him walk.

vaturkey

Reaction score
I would ditch Garrett in a second for Sean Payton. Payton is innovative. Garret not so much. The only problem Payton has had lately is a lack of focus on the defensive side of the ball. That is why NO has played poorly this year. Well, that and the fact they have an aging QB (sound familiar).

ghst187

Reaction score
seems a lot like the Wade Phillips scenario, team had a fantastic season and should've made it to the SB losing a playoff game they definitely should've won. Then the team basically quits on him a season or two later and he gets canned. This team is not playing hard, they haven't mailed it in like philly has but the true test will be next week, hard to imagine them not mailing it in. Frankly, we need the high draft picks anyway.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I'm on the Payton bandwagon for sure. I think I'd keep Linehan though, he and Payton could do wonders for an offense.

Sadly, we just gave knucklehead, no IQ Dez a big contract. I would love to see him walk.

If Payton were to come here, I'd want him having full say over the offense.

Ugh. Imagine Payton being here and drafting a QB to groom in his system from the beginning. That would be amazing.

And it will never happen.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I just can't see Jerry reversing course so hard after just extending Garrett's contract. I don't think it matters what happens the rest of the year as long as the team doesn't totally quit on him.

Now, if they quit and totally start mailing it in like they're doing down in Philly these last couple of weeks? I think that could raise some questions, but even then, I'm not getting my hopes up.

That would be the only way. If the team quits and the home fans boo like crazy that would do it. Other than that, he'll be back next year.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Let whoever they bring in choose his entire staff- enough of Jerry's dream team assemblages whith a yes - man figure head at the top, and nobody in charge.

fifaguy

Reaction score
JG is not going to get the Cowboys to a SB, either with or without Romo. If Jerry really wants another ring, he needs to find a new HC pretty soon given that he is getting to be an old man. But, on the other hand, if the plan is to continue to roll out the fantasy-teaser bull that Jerry has been feeding the fan base for years, then JG is just the man for the job...

KB1122

Reaction score
If you think you have a good coach, you shouldn't fire him based on a bad record. We can debate whether or not Garrett is a good coach. But the Cowboys just gave him a contract, so they must think so.

Hailmary

Reaction score
If Payton can get out of his contract and not cost a team any draft picks, then there's going to be a lot of teams fighting for his rights. Just in the NFC East alone, we have a 70yr old Coughlin who's on the last year of his contract along with Kelly and Gruden who've been in the hot seat all season long. The worst case scenario would be for Jerry to give Garrett a pass because of Romo's injuries and one of our divisional rivals locking up Payton for the next 5+ yrs.

If we continue to struggle under Garrett next year and beyond and Jerry decides to make a switch, we've most likely lost an opportunity to bring on board Payton. The window to sign an elite head coach is very, very small as one becoming available is rare, so if the organization believes that he would be an upgrade, they should jump at the opportunity.

fifaguy

Reaction score
If Payton can get out of his contract and not cost a team any draft picks, then there's going to be a lot of teams fighting for his rights. Just in the NFC East alone, we have a 70yr old Coughlin who's on the last year of his contract along with Kelly and Gruden who've been in the hot seat all season long. The worst case scenario would be for Jerry to give Garrett a pass because of Romo's injuries and one of our divisional rivals locking up Payton for the next 5+ yrs.

If we continue to struggle under Garrett next year and beyond and Jerry decides to make a switch, we've most likely lost an opportunity to bring on board Payton. The window to sign an elite head coach is very, very small as one becoming available is rare, so if the organization believes that he would be an upgrade, they should jump at the opportunity.

I'm pretty sure that JJ could afford to jettison Garrett and eat the remaining salary amount. More a question of pride for him...

Gaede

Reaction score
Someone will be fired but it won't be JG. He's been through this before and somehow always emerges untouched.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cassel is playing better than Romo was at this point so I can see us winning a couple, maybe a skins and Jets. Hopefully Gruden will contact Jerry and then all bets are off.....wishing.

Gaede

Reaction score

Bottom line-Jerry wants to sell tickets. Above all else, making money is his goal.

If Garrett cant field either a competitive or exciting team, his time should be nigh. Payton, even if he doesn't always win, gives the fans something exciting -- and that helps drive ticket sales.

However, Garrett's political skills are so strong that he will find a scapegoat for this season and that person will be fired in his place.