Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Wouldn't that just be WAY too funny!

Meetings notebook: Bills looking to deal Losman
By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
March 29, 2006

Charles Robinson
Yahoo! Sports Exclusive
ORLANDO, Fla. – Teams in search of a quarterback on the trade market could be in line for yet another young talent in the coming weeks: J.P. Losman.

Two league sources indicated Tuesday that Losman hasn't gained the confidence of the Buffalo Bills' new regime. Both sources expect the team to put the former first-round pick on the trade block before the start of the 2006 season – if he isn't already there.

Bills general manager Marv Levy declared the quarterback position an open race last week after signing Craig Nall to a three-year contract, and it was widely believed the former Green Bay Packers reserve QB would compete with Losman for starting duties. But one personnel man familiar with the situation said he expects Levy to put out trade feelers for Losman in the coming weeks.

"I think it's going to be something that boils down to Nall as the No. 1 and (Kelly) Holcomb as the backup," he said. "If you went through the locker room and people were honest, (there would be) a lot of people who aren't sold on Losman as a leader."

When asked if Losman could still win the support of Levy and teammates in the coming weeks, the source painted the situation as "doubtful."

ADVERTISEMENT
click here
"The biggest advocates of (Losman as a starter) are gone, but he's still a guy who has trade value," he said. "If Nall ends up being the starter and Holcomb is a solid backup you can rely on, why would you have Losman sitting at the bottom (of the depth chart) when you can still get something out there for him?"

The advocates that were mentioned are ex-general manager Tom Donahoe and ex-head coach Mike Mularkey. Interestingly, Mularkey is now the offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins – a team that is actively seeking a backup quarterback and exploring a possible trade for the Detroit Lions' Joey Harrington. However, the Dolphins also are looking for a veteran backup who has a generous amount of starting experience, and Losman doesn't seem to fit the profile.

If there is any inclination to move Losman, the Bills haven't shown it publicly – outside of bringing Nall in to vie for starting honors. New head coach Dick Jauron has been supportive and complimentary of Losman so far, and said Tuesday he's hoping Nall's acquisition will spur some healthy competition.

"(Losman has) had two years now to develop," Jauron said. "He had to play a lot last year. It was thrown on him early. It was a difficult situation to be in for a young guy. So he's got a real chance (to improve in his third year). He's got all that physical talent. He can run. He's got a strong arm. He's a smart guy. He's not afraid to work. He's got a lot of upside to him. We've got to give him a chance to get it out. Hopefully those other guys competing will force the hand a little bit and make them all better."

"(Nall) obviously doesn't have a lot of playing time. But when he's played he's performed well. He's been accurate with the football. He's a good decision maker. He's got experience. We're not teaching the guy how to play. All he has to do is transfer information. He should be able to step up and compete. He's got good size (6-foot-3, 230 pounds). I like his size – his height in the pocket. I like his demeanor. I like the way he handled himself in interviews. He's a very competitive guy. He believes he can be a starter and should be a starter."

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Maybe they'll ask us for Julius Jones, Marcus Spears, and Sean Ryan for him.

Justis

Reaction score
That's awesome! If I were Drew Bledsoe I'd call up the Bills front office and laugh in their face, but he may be a bit more forgiving.

Bryan8284

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Maybe they'll ask us for Julius Jones, Marcus Spears, and Sean Ryan for him.

Don't forget we in turn got Bledsoe through them too.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
The one thing that would make this story perfect is if the Bills get rid of Losman and then sign Quincy Carter to be a veteran backup! The circle of life!

silver

Reaction score
They're just lighting the fire under Losman to see his reaction. Trying to push his buttons, that's all. Craig Nall is to Losman what Chad Hutchinson was to Quincy Carter.

wileedog

Reaction score
silver said:
They're just lighting the fire under Losman to see his reaction. Trying to push his buttons, that's all. Craig Nall is to Losman what Chad Hutchinson was to Quincy Carter.

If by that you mean they all stink, sure....

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Buffalo actually allowed for more sacks with Losman and Holcomb in 2005 than they did with Bledsoe in 2004.

Sure, Bledsoe does have a problem with getting sacked, but it's been clear to me for awhile that they never really had the O-Line that Bledsoe needed and he was hardly the cause for their offensive efficiencies.

It also helps that once you get a good O-Lineman in Jonas Jennings, you don't let the Niners snag him up in FA.

Rich.............

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
This is absolutely absurd. They're giving up after one measly year?? Even Harrington got a longer audition.

t.o.boys81

Reaction score
bbgun said:
This is absolutely absurd. They're giving up after one measly year?? Even Harrington got a longer audition.

I do agree that they should give Losman some more time. Carson Palmer took a while, and now look at him.

calico

Reaction score
Couldn't happen to a more arrogant, piece of ****, *******...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Its way too early to give up on him, but this typically happens when you just indescriminately throw a QB out there before they are ready. You see things you can't unsee, and you lose perspective.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Buffalo actually allowed for more sacks with Losman and Holcomb in 2005 than they did with Bledsoe in 2004.

Sure, Bledsoe does have a problem with getting sacked, but it's been clear to me for awhile that they never really had the O-Line that Bledsoe needed and he was hardly the cause for their offensive efficiencies.

It also helps that once you get a good O-Lineman in Jonas Jennings, you don't let the Niners snag him up in FA.

Rich.............

Thats one reason I hate stats, like someone said, there are lies and then there are stats. Thats plain wrong, since with Holcomb in, they had much less sacks. But Losman had way more sacks, which when combined with Holcomb for 16 games total, you get more sacks than Bledsoe.

So thats completely wrong statement, that Bledsoe was better at not giving up sacks than both of them combined.

Kelly Holcomb was sacked 17 times in 10 games for 230 attempts ( sacked each 13.5 attempts)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3873

While Losman 26 times in 9 Games played in 2005 for 228 attempts (sacked each 8.7 attempts)
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6781

While Bledsoe with Buffalo in 2004 was sacked 37 in 16 games for 450 attempts ( Sacked every 12.1 attempts), in 2003 49 times in 471 attempts (Sacked every 9.6 attempts)http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/2359

Anyway you slice it, Holcomb did better than Bledsoe with pretty much same line. Now Losman, obviously sucks and damn stupid decision to get rid of Bledsoe for him.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
I tried to warn people, but they didn't listen.....when Bledsoe left Buffalo the curse of the Bledstudsoe began and that franchise will be doomed for years to come.

I just hope a similar fate never afflicts this franchise....let's hope that Drew wins a superbowl and is never cut for some unproven rookie or bust. :bow:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
I tried to warn people, but they didn't listen.....when Bledsoe left Buffalo the curse of the Bledstudsoe began and that franchise will be doomed for years to come.

I just hope a similar fate never afflicts this franchise....let's hope that Drew wins a superbowl and is never cut for some unproven rookie or bust. :bow:

Great, so we haved a cursed QB...I knew it...:rolleyes: