Lost interest in winning

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes I don’t like the way he handles the two minute drill. I’ve watched many of his games. I am not a fan. So

2 minute drill? Well he beat us twice in the playoffs with that kind of thing. But ok, I will take note.

Anything else?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
2 minute drill? Well he beat us twice in the playoffs with that kind of thing. But ok, I will take note.

Anything else?
Yeah because it was him on the field. I’ve seen him blow football games by making the wrong choices more than once. Look I’m willing to give the guy a chance more than what you gave Jason

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Anything else?
So how many losing seasons do we have to have before you say he sucks And if we come out like champions I’ll be the first want to say I was wrong. That’s integrity my cowboy brother

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would much rather have a coach that the league hasint already scrutinized. How many more teams is going to give this guy a chance.

Look, I definitely would have liked a guy like Bellicheck or Sean Payton, ect…..ect…

But McCarthy was NOT a bad choice in my opinion. He definitely checks the box of a "non puppet". Has the experience you want.

He has control over the entire team, not just the offense like what Garrett had.

Not sure I understand your stance that the league has already spit him out. McCarthy was wanted by several team the past two years and he was waiting for the right opportunity. He turned down interviews with several clubs.

SSoup

Reaction score
IMO Jerry wants to win more than ever. It just has to be on his terms. He would rather lose doing it his way than letting someone else do it for him.
He doesn't really want to win or he would stop this "dressing up and playing pretend" game he's been playing as if he's a football man.

It was one thing when he was doing it in the '90s. You could forgive him for not realizing the reality of it after he'd accidentally stumbled onto some success. He was thrashing around, making a big show of trying to win, and you could credibly claim that he sure wanted to win but he just hadn't had enough evidence yet to convince him he was bad at this. That he was now the major obstacle to us winning.

But after decades of failure now, he's got enough data to realize the team is limited by his own inabilities.

He didn't want to be wrong about Jason Garrett, but after a decade, hefinally decided he had too much evidence that it wasn't working out. Why was 10 years of failure enough to move him in that case but 24 years of failure isn't enough to move him in this case?

It's because he fundamentally doesn't consider it failure for him to oversee the team not winning. Because he doesn't particularly care if we win or lose.

Sure, it'd be *nice* to win if he blindly stumbles into it again. But he's just as happy with us not winning. His actions prove this.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah because it was him on the field. I’ve seen him blow football games by making the wrong choices more than once. Look I’m willing to give the guy a chance more than what you gave Jason

Ok, fair enough. And even though I am fine with the choice, he will have to show up or I will be all over the guy as well.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Look, I definitely would have liked a guy like Bellicheck or Sean Payton, ect…..ect…

But McCarthy was NOT a bad choice in my opinion. He definitely checks the box of a "non puppet". Has the experience you want. I hope you’re right. I hope he can manipulate Jerry better than Jason

He has control over the entire team, not just the offense like what Garrett had.

Not sure I understand your stance that the league has already spit him out. McCarthy was wanted by several team the past two years and he was waiting for the right opportunity. He turned down interviews with several clubs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That’s doom and gloom. LOL now you’re just being combative But I’m doing and gloom because I don’t like McCarthy. Stop it

Pal, I have been pro Dak for the last 4 years. I have been anything but doom and gloom. But whatever.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok, fair enough. And even though I am fine with the choice, he will have to show up or I will be all over the guy as well.
I can’t say I’m not frustrated. It makes it difficult to have a intelligent conversation. There’s not a lot of positive things coming out of last season. Other than the coaching change. If you can pick special teams I’d be happy with just that

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Pal, I have been pro Dak for the last 4 years. I have been anything but doom and gloom. But whatever.
Only on Jason. I believe in Prescott also I think he’s a winner I think it’s the scheme. I just know you’re touchy when it comes to the coaching conversation. And you have a right to be

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Can you believe we started inside our own 20 more than any other team out there. We actually have to travel thirty extra yards a drive on average. It’s like almost impossible to reach the end zone . San Francisco I think coach and blew the Super Bowl at the end. They should’ve run the ball. We can get a second guess anyone right

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So how many losing seasons do we have to have before you say he sucks And if we come out like champions I’ll be the first want to say I was wrong. That’s integrity my cowboy brother

I judge a HC on how he coaches, not just wins. Its an easy analysis really.

We will know right away with the offense based on formations, play calling, use of personnel. Two minute drill, clock management, scheme, how well the team is prepared, game planning...……...ect…….ect……….

I already like that they are letting Jones walk. That is what I would have done.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I judge a HC on how he coaches, not just wins. Its an easy analysis really.

We will know right away with the offense based on formations, play calling, use of personnel. Two minute drill, clock management, scheme, how well the team is prepared, game planning...……...ect…….ect……….

I already like that they are letting Jones walk. That is what I would have done.
For me it’s going to be all about the scheme. Do we have the players that match what he’s going to run. If I’m starting a team I’m starting with the coach. If I already have a team in place I have to hire a coach that fits my players. I’m not sure what’s going to happen. But you’re right he’s not a puppet

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO Jerry wants to win more than ever. It just has to be on his terms. He would rather lose doing it his way than letting someone else do it for him.
^ Exactly.

Some people apply their way of thinking onto others. Unfortunately, everyone does not think the same as others do. Jerry Jones has definitely been and will always be one of those "other people".

cowboyec

Reaction score
I Embrace The McCarthy Era.
We Will Kick ALL THEIR CANDY @#%^&.
:starspin:THESE COLORS DON'T RUN:starspin:

:flagwave:'MERICA'S TEAM:flagwave:

75boyz

Reaction score
He doesn't really want to win or he would stop this "dressing up and playing pretend" game he's been playing as if he's a football man.

It was one thing when he was doing it in the '90s. You could forgive him for not realizing the reality of it after he'd accidentally stumbled onto some success. He was thrashing around, making a big show of trying to win, and you could credibly claim that he sure wanted to win but he just hadn't had enough evidence yet to convince him he was bad at this. That he was now the major obstacle to us winning.

But after decades of failure now, he's got enough data to realize the team is limited by his own inabilities.

He didn't want to be wrong about Jason Garrett, but after a decade, hefinally decided he had too much evidence that it wasn't working out. Why was 10 years of failure enough to move him in that case but 24 years of failure isn't enough to move him in this case?

It's because he fundamentally doesn't consider it failure for him to oversee the team not winning. Because he doesn't particularly care if we win or lose.

Sure, it'd be *nice* to win if he blindly stumbles into it again. But he's just as happy with us not winning. His actions prove this.

I wish you would post more often. You made an outstanding insightful post regarding the failures of all the defensive line personnel that have been shuffled in and out over the years and this post is as equally outstanding.

For me personally, I enjoy reading the fact based present and historical posts that go a little deeper than the surface of most topics.

You accomplish that talent quite well.

Keep up the quality posts man.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I been a fan going back to 1974. No ones fandom is above anyones. Its not romper room pal. We have opinions,like it or not. Not everything has to jive with what you think, nor does it with me. We are all individuals capable of thought. Its not a think tank.

All I'm saying is for those that just whine about what the Cowboys do or don't do they could find another team to be a fan of that do the type of things they like.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I can’t say I’m not frustrated. It makes it difficult to have a intelligent conversation. There’s not a lot of positive things coming out of last season. Other than the coaching change. If you can pick special teams I’d be happy with just that

Dak had his best season passing for almost 5000 yard and a total of 33 TD's. Passing game took a big step in the right direction and Moore proved that he was more than capable. Deep ball was a strength last year. Other then that, I am not sure what else positive you could take from it.

But for a guy like me that saw Garret and the coaching staff as the biggest problem, then its looking up for me.

And every scrub that I didn't like is pretty much a FA this year. And we have tons of cap space to fill in the holes with better players.

The 8-8 down year finally got Garrett fired, so I am fine with it. This team was getting nowhere with him.

They finally are recognizing that DT is very important and already talking about liking huge guys in there. Some of the biggest issues have been or seem to be addressed.

We also have the 17th pick which isn't too bad. Should be able to get a quality defensive player there.

Special teams cant get any worse. I would love to see them sign Zuerline.

Kwyn

Reaction score
It's been tough to see Jerry Jones degrade into senile Al Davis. He has simply lost interest in winning. He is no longer willing to make the moves or pay the money. He has the 6th most cap space and he stands pat. This team in no where near a superbowl, not even close. Baltimore, San Francisco, and KC are the new NFL. I don't know what Jerry is anymore, certainly not the Maverick
Anyone who thinks Jerry doesn’t like to win hasn’t been paying attention. Getting another super bowl consumes him and is likely a key factor in why he hasn’t stepped aside for Stephen. If he didn’t care, he wouldn’t still be doing Jerry stuff.

Jerry is ultra-competitive

He may not always make decisions that we agree with but calling him senile or questioning his desire to win is dumb.