Love Eli Harold ...

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
anyone else love this kid ? looks like a sleeper to me. He's more impressive than Shane Ray and even Gregory . Im hoping he's there at 27 !

tm1119

Reaction score
Yeah I'm with you....when you look at his size, workout #'s + his production compared to the guys more or less guaranteed to go top 15 and its hard to figure out how he's rated so much lower. Maybe his initial quickness isn't quite as great as a guy like Ray, but he's still pretty damn good in that department. Definitely worthy of the 27th pick

Last edited:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Love him to do what? 248lbs to play what? I dont get everybodies love for these tweeners. You people do remember this team plays a 4-3 right? They dont need olbs, they need SDE. 270lbs and up

VACowboy

Reaction score
I love Eli.. He's a nasty fast disruptive player. I don't know about weight, but if you're looking for a relentless presence off the edge, he's the prototype.

Max Valles has disappointed me a little bit. He looks a heck of a lot faster on the field than he ran.

tm1119

Reaction score
Love him to do what? 248lbs to play what? I dont get everybodies love for these tweeners. You people do remember this team plays a 4-3 right? They dont need olbs, they need SDE. 270lbs and up

270+ to be a 4-3 end? You really believe that? Wow....guess we used our 2nd and 3rd round picks on a LB last year then? 260-265 is plenty of weight for a DE in our system. We need guys who can rush the passer, regardless of weight

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lawrence can play the strong side. He plays bigger then his size and can set the edge on the strong side.

RDE is still a position we can look at IMO

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Some players that played DE in a 4-3 and their draft weights.

Lawrence showed that he would be OK on either side last year and has likely gotten much bigger since the draft according to reports.

Demarcus Lawrence 251
Mathis 6-2, 246
Von Miller 246 (played hybrid role as SLB/DE)
Dumerville 260
Freeney 6-1, 266

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
270+ to be a 4-3 end? You really believe that? Wow....guess we used our 2nd and 3rd round picks on a LB last year then? 260-265 is plenty of weight for a DE in our system. We need guys who can rush the passer, regardless of weight

Dallas isn't looking to add a rde. They are happy with Lawrence there. They're looking for a sde. Just look at how small Lawrence looks. Imaging somebody about 15lbs lighter. That's eli

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Some players that played DE in a 4-3 and their draft weights.

Lawrence showed that he would be OK on either side last year and has likely gotten much bigger since the draft according to reports.

Demarcus Lawrence 251
Mathis 6-2, 246
Von Miller 246 (played hybrid role as SLB/DE)
Dumerville 260
Freeney 6-1, 266

Spencers 265 selvie 270 who started?

VACowboy

Reaction score
Dallas isn't looking to add a rde. They are happy with Lawrence there. They're looking for a sde. Just look at how small Lawrence looks. Imaging somebody about 15lbs lighter. That's eli

I kind of agree with you in principle, but Harold is NOT 15 pounds lighter than Lawrence. What was his official weight, 248? He played at around 240 at Virginia, but I think his natural size as he matures and fills out will be somewhere between 255 and 260. He has the frame for it. He's naturally strong, athletic and disruptive as heck. He's a smart, high motor guy too, so I wouldn't be a bit afraid to stick him out there opposite Lawrence. I think that would mean we need a big 1-tech, though, which I am totally on board for anyway.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I kind of agree with you in principle, but Harold is NOT 15 pounds lighter than Lawrence. What was his official weight, 248? He played at around 240 at Virginia, but I think his natural size as he matures and fills out will be somewhere between 255 and 260. He has the frame for it. He's naturally strong, athletic and disruptive as heck. He's a smart, high motor guy too, so I wouldn't be a bit afraid to stick him out there opposite Lawrence. I think that would mean we need a big 1-tech, though, which I am totally on board for anyway.

But thats a few yrs down the road. He just magically isnt going to gain 20lbs in a few months with anything other than steriods. He gained weight for the combine, going thru the offseason and TC he will be back to 240 by august. All these players will be lighter then they are now come week 1. Only reason Lawrence gained weight was because he was limited to rehab for half the season.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I like Harold more than OO but he is more suited for a 3-4 team,he is not playing strong side for us.

VACowboy

Reaction score
If you are purely looking strong side, maybe Armstead is the guy.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Spencer was limited due to injury. This is not a very good example.

Spencer was healthy at the end of the yr, and selvie still started. Spencer was very good i the playoffs, but Selvie still started. the injury excuse is lame.

btcutter

Reaction score

I would argue that Dallas is looking for an impact edge rusher regardless of side. Do they prefer someone with bulk, sure. But I think they just want a DE that can rush the passer. They can figure out where to put the pieces later. Goal is get to the passer.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spencer was healthy at the end of the yr, and selvie still started. Spencer was very good i the playoffs, but Selvie still started. the injury excuse is lame.

They played a similar number of snaps at the end of the year regardless of who was "starting". Spencer played more snaps than Selvie in the playoff game against the Lions.

They likely made that decision based on having the best pass rusher (Spencer) of the two playing more on passing downs.

It was a bad example because Spencer is known to be a terrific player against the run when healthy.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

I tend to agree with you somewhat here but with the way Marinelli rotates linemen, they're all going to get around half the snaps anyway. A guy who is a little small but is an athletic edge rusher would get plenty of snaps in the nickle and have a lot of chances to get after the QB.

In the nickle, Mincey could move inside next to Crawford with Lawrence going to SDE and Harold (for instance) at WDE.

Still though, I agree with you in principle that Dallas would prefer a guy who is bigger than Harold even at WDE. I just think it is a possible early career option for a guy they really like who is a little too small. If the team loves a guys pass rush ability but thinks he might take a year or two to put on enough weight, they could still bring him in and let him raise hell on passing downs.

Having said all of that... Harold definitely isn't one of my favorites. Just seems too small and I question if he ever would get big enough. If Dallas goes with a tweener, I don't think it would be Harold.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
They played a similar number of snaps at the end of the year regardless of who was "starting". Spencer played more snaps than Selvie in the playoff game against the Lions.

They likely made that decision based on having the best pass rusher (Spencer) of the two playing more on passing downs.

It was a bad example because Spencer is known to be a terrific player against the run when healthy.

No they made the decision on the job priority of the SDE. To contain the run first and foremost. Its amazing how much you ignore the basic functions of this defense to try and push your ideas on people. Spencer is the pass rusher who can rush in a straight line but not much else. He's not very stout as a DE against the run. Thats why he wasnt in majority of the time on 1st and 2nd down. Spencer was good vs the run as a OLB when he had some protection with the DE and being wider then a DE is set, instead of bring right over the tackle. Only time Spencer had success this yr was when Dallas lined him up wide or stood him up. Other then that he was on the sideline.