Love the Zeke pick, tap the brakes!

Reaction score
Screw tapping the breaks...Oh no, they say he's got to go....Go Go Godzekeil Yeahhhhhhhh

http://i18.***BLOCKED***/albums/b133/BrAinPaiNt/godzilla-1_zps597328cb.gif

Great gif and any reference to Blue Oyster Cult gets a like from me too,,,, :cool:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Gurley is explosive.. I don't kno if Elliot will be an explosive NFL player.

We just need him to produce and not leave meat on the bone like Murray.

Gurley is like Peterson. Big, fast, moves, all of it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Once again, Gurley didn't play much, if at all, in the first 4 games last season.

It doesn't matter how many games he played. It has to do with how many attempts he had with the ball. Gurley had only ten less carries than McFadden. Is ten carries really the difference between not respecting a player and thinking he was elite? I think not.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how many games he played. It has to do with how many attempts he had with the ball. Gurley had only ten less carries than McFadden. Is ten carries really the difference between not respecting a player and thinking he was elite? I think not.

You're right...as a rookie, Gurley didn't even see the field for the first several games, had 10 less carries, and produced a little bit more results in rushing (229 for 1,106yds 10 TDs vs. 239 for 1,088yds 3TDs)...all the while running behind that Rams O-line. So which is it? Is it that Gurley showed up as advertised for a highly touted rookie RB? Or is he overrated and McFadden is just as good as an RB and "Still has it" (did he ever really have it?)? Or is this really just a telling story about the differences in O-lines they ran behind?

So let's get down to brass tacks: Do you think Gurley wouldn't have benefited much behind the Dallas O-line than running in St. Louis? I ask that, because that's indirectly what you are stating in your position.

No one is saying that Zeke could break records behind any O-line he runs behind. What many are saying is that, behind this great line, he should make a decent splash immediately. He can pass protect, he can catch, he obviously can run and he is smart (Wonderlic of 32...unheard of for an RB). There's no reason he can't be a 3-down back from the first snap of the season. Unless an injury/Moly happens, it seems like a pessimistic stance to say that he definitely won't hit 1,200-1,400 yds his rookie season. I'd be completely shocked if he didn't.

JDSmith

Reaction score
288 carries, 1555 yards, 14 TDs, offensive rookie of the year.

I had him penciled in for 1846 yards, ORoTY and NFL MVP (losing Super Bowl MVP to Romo) so you may consider the brakes tapped. You're work here is done, congratulations.

He'll still lose Super Bowl MVP to Romo, but he'll be all right with it.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Exactly my point. Gurley had an outstanding season for a rookie and barely broke 1100.

Gurley played in 13 games, starting 12. Only had 6 carries that first game in which he didn't start.... averaged just over 90 yards a game in the last 12 games.
Prorate those games to a full 16 and he's well over 1400 yards.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Screw tapping the breaks ......... why should fans "tap the breaks"?

He is the best running back we have had since Emmitt ....... I will let him worry about the pressure of the game and trying to adjust.

This kid is gonna be great and I am not gonna worry about "over hyping" him to fellow fans.

Cause honestly I don't care if people jump off the bandwagon if he struggles like most rookies ....... I like the Cowboys players a lot more than Cowboy fans anyway.

My feelings exactly!

What is it with these "fans" who feel that we should be miserable and pessimistic about the very team we are supposed to get behind and support!?!
Along with those they-will-rue-the-day-they-didn't-trade-up-for-a-QB armchair scouts and those we-shoulda-drafted-Ramsey goofs and the Jaylon-Smith-will-never-play-a-down fools.

Maybe someone can create a I'll-never-be-happy-no-matter-what-they-do zone..... call it the "Bish" zone.

Zeke will be the new Face of Fear and Eater of Worlds... lol..... hype away!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You're right...as a rookie, Gurley didn't even see the field for the first several games, had 10 less carries, and produced a little bit more results in rushing (229 for 1,106yds 10 TDs vs. 239 for 1,088yds 3TDs)...all the while running behind that Rams O-line. So which is it? Is it that Gurley showed up as advertised for a highly touted rookie RB? Or is he overrated and McFadden is just as good as an RB and "Still has it" (did he ever really have it?)? Or is this really just a telling story about the differences in O-lines they ran behind?

So let's get down to brass tacks: Do you think Gurley wouldn't have benefited much behind the Dallas O-line than running in St. Louis? I ask that, because that's indirectly what you are stating in your position.

No one is saying that Zeke could break records behind any O-line he runs behind. What many are saying is that, behind this great line, he should make a decent splash immediately. He can pass protect, he can catch, he obviously can run and he is smart (Wonderlic of 32...unheard of for an RB). There's no reason he can't be a 3-down back from the first snap of the season. Unless an injury/Moly happens, it seems like a pessimistic stance to say that he definitely won't hit 1,200-1,400 yds his rookie season. I'd be completely shocked if he didn't.

IMO, there's little point in speculating about things that will never happen. Gurley will never run behind the Cowboy's superior O-line, thus we will never know how good he could be. Your point is well taken that we did see how McFadden benefited. The prospect of now having Ezekiel Elliott run behind the Cowboys veteran O-line is frankly, mind boggling. The sky is the limit except, it's not. He's a rookie. He's never done this before at this level. Will he adapt, yes. Will he be outstanding, yes. Expectations are justifiably high. My caution is that he and ever rookie RB worth their weight in gold had to acclimate to the speed of the NFL, because they've never seen it before. It may only take a few carries but it wouldn't be shocking for it to take a few games. He'll adapt and I agree with you, it does seem pessimistic to say he won't hit 12,000 yards his rookie season.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Seriously, how much of a stretch is it really to say he will do great here? We saw him run the ball plenty in college we know what he can do it. Then factor in the Oline here in Dallas. My god man, Darren McChicken ran for over 1000 yards last year with Weeden at QB and Romo out. Unless he gets hurt, Zeke running wild is as an easy call. If there were any doubts what so ever he never should have been drafted.
Mcchicken had more production in college and was also a 4th pick in the draft.

Cookoo cookoo