Luepke "going to be a big part of our offense"

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Did I say that's all I base his future on? NO, I did not. Hunter is bust, wasting the time of this coach and team.
All right. We're not communicating well and clearly have different views on this. So good night.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Did I say that's all I base his future on? NO, I did not. Hunter is bust, wasting the time of this coach and team.
Maybe someone could teach the QB how to
properly handoff to the FB. They could send him to any little league practice in America. An 8 year old could tell
him to place the ball into the runners gut...lol/smh

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That is a big question mark, as are the backs who will be running up the middle. One reason I was hoping Beebe would win the center job is because of the power we'd have between the tackles, especially with backs like Elliott and Freeman who can do little outside the tackles.
I'm all for big, powerful C. I think C is one of the keystone positions.
Maybe Beebe could have been an ok starter. But that was just not the way to bet.

As for our between the tackles RBs, *maybe* we finally get my dream of a multirunner offense. Between the tackles runners should be paired with an outside threat. Lamb, Turpin, maybe Vaughn if he makes strides in route running.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-august-2024

I've thought ever since we signed Freeman and Zeke (and drafted Beebe with the idea of converting him to center) that we would use the fullback more this season. Since our run game coordinator and offensive line coach prefer the inside zone running game, the backs we've added are better between the tackles and our two best linemen are the left and right guards, it makes sense that we'd use the fullback more to lead the way. I would assume that if Luepke is used more that would mean less two-tight end, so more 21 and less 12 personnel.

Of course, this is Jerry speaking, so it could mean nothing. We'll see how it plays out.
Go Pet Cat!
Woohoo!

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'm all for big, powerful C. I think C is one of the keystone positions.
Maybe Beebe could have been an ok starter. But that was just not the way to bet.

As for our between the tackles RBs, *maybe* we finally get my dream of a multirunner offense. Between the tackles runners should be paired with an outside threat. Lamb, Turpin, maybe Vaughn if he makes strides in route running.
It's definitely not an easy transition. Snapping almost has to become second nature because you can't just focus on that when you have to make the snap and immediately get your hands in front to block.

I do think most of our outside running will come from our receivers, although Dowdle has a little more ability on the edges at this point than Elliott or Freeman. Plus, just based on last season, we seem to be committed to primarily running between the tackles.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-august-2024

I've thought ever since we signed Freeman and Zeke (and drafted Beebe with the idea of converting him to center) that we would use the fullback more this season. Since our run game coordinator and offensive line coach prefer the inside zone running game, the backs we've added are better between the tackles and our two best linemen are the left and right guards, it makes sense that we'd use the fullback more to lead the way. I would assume that if Luepke is used more that would mean less two-tight end, so more 21 and less 12 personnel.

Of course, this is Jerry speaking, so it could mean nothing. We'll see how it plays out.
Who Dat??????????????
A FB you say?
This has to be Luepke posting or one of his family members!!!! :muttley:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It's definitely not an easy transition. Snapping almost has to become second nature because you can't just focus on that when you have to make the snap and immediately get your hands in front to block.

I do think most of our outside running will come from our receivers, although Dowdle has a little more ability on the edges at this point than Elliott or Freeman. Plus, just based on last season, we seem to be committed to primarily running between the tackles.
One shocking fact about Dowdle - QB Rating When Targeted - 124.1.
Only 0.2 behind Lamb. 2.5 behind Turpin.
Next guy - Brooks at 111.1
Ferguson is at 103.

Only 22 targets, but that's not nothing either. Got 2 TDs.

kskboys

Reaction score
Nothing stopped him from having it other than not wanting it. You seem so desperate to be right, you refuse to see what actually has been while MM has been with the Cowboys. Nothing is going to change at fullback.
What? You blame this fiasco on Lupke not trying hard enough? What is your source?

Sounds to me like you are making stuff up.

kskboys

Reaction score
And again, what is your source?

For his college career, Lupke had 274 carries/1,665 yds/24 rushing TD's/9 receiving TD's. That's 6 YPC. 98 carries for 621 yds as a senior/6.3 YPC. All America 1st team.

Yes, it was for a small college, which easily explains why he didn't play a lot last year. Lots to learn.

No one is proclaiming him the next coming, but his projection is an all purpose player, rushing/receiving/blocking. Dude attacks the LOS like our RBs need to learn to do.

Exactly what makes you call him a bust?

For gawds sakes, he was a UFDA.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Ferguson is at 103.

I saw him have that one-handed catch in the end zone in a training camp video. Will be interesting to see how they use him. In the scrimmage, it looked like they were alternating him and Elliott every other play. And practically doing the same with Luepke and Schoonmaker. Of course, that more than likely was just by design to give them all some work with the first-team offense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Even that would be a lot for him, last year he had 6 carries and 4 targets. And as far as being used like Moose, in 151 games even he had only 232 carries and 313 targets. Or about 1.5 carries and 2 receptions per game.

Not saying it's not going to happen, but even he did what Moose did, it's not going to be much help.
When you have 63 players on a team like total on a roster there's always gonna be players like him that are gonna be role players and I get the word and you're taking Jerry's words out of context as usual because Jerry just says a lot of **** in when he says significant it just means that he sees him making the team and playing in games and contributing like most players do you know special teams there's a lot of guys that don't do anything but special teams they don't get a single carry or single target or a single catch and yet they could still be a good role player his word significant is just another miss use of what he was feeling during an interview...

It was a bad choice of words but I'm thinking he sees Luepke making this team in case people thinking he wasn't.... I agree with the people who said that he's not going to have a significant role because there's no way for him to be significant that doesn't mean he can't contribute...

I believe Mike McCarthy so caught up in trying to get his new offensive coordinator role in his offense installed missus his rotations and I don't think he used most of our players on offense correctly especially at running back I think with all the problems we had in short yardage him training use Tony Pollard like Ezekiel Elliott instead of using Rico and Luepke more in short yardage was a mistake from the beginning, he has to see that..

It's a little late because I see Ezekiel Elliott as our fullback slash short yardage guy this year and he's not going to be used like he was before but last year..

I do not understand why Dowdle and Luepke didn't get more snaps and also when you go to the wide receivers with doing things behind the line of scrimmage and motion and more slot why Turpin didn't get more use, I blame this solely on Mike McCarthy that we're sitting here having these debates because the guy didn't hardly get any snaps last year, well that's on Mike McCarthy, we needed some toughness and short yardage and just he didn't use hunter in a way he probably could have been...

And by the way my disclaimer is I'm not pulling for this guy and I can care less whether he makes the team or not I just seen a lot of pork choices last year and our running back rotation and some of our players who could have been more dynamic they weren't used... So whether he makes a team or not I don't care but I can see where if they saw the error in their ways this guy could be utilized better...

blueblood70

Reaction score
He's just supporting his team and schemes and growth aren't being revealed. Go on and just complain about the past. And Luepke has roles.
No I agree with you I believe he'll have some kind of role but I also agree with others saying this was Jerry in another poor choice of words.. It's simple they see some improvement in a larger role this year but that doesn't mean he's gonna be significant.. Yes the team is made-up of role players there's a lot of guys on the team that you don't even realize don't do much of anything except special teams they hardly get any snaps... I mean how little he was utilized and miss utilized by Mike McCarthy like the rest of everyone else last year in my opinion they messed up the running back rotation and didn't use Turpin correctly and probably could have utilized Vaughn more especially package but it seemed like Mike McCarthy just had a love affair we're trying to get Tony Pollard more carries in the wrong situations by the way that I think double should have took over zeke's role he's not like great zeke but he could have been last few years zeke and used hunter and short yardage more and he didn't this is on mike mccarthy..

But I think the blowback is coming from Jerry's poor choice of words as usual when he's put on the spot he has more brain farts at his age than most of us but we've all had moments where we say the wrong thing...

CWR

Reaction score
Ferguson is at 103.

I don't care what anyone says Dowdle flashed at times. I hope he somehow gets the starting spot or at least ends up getting the higher end of touches.