Luepke "going to be a big part of our offense"

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
None of that disputes what I said. McCarthy is on the final year of his contract; in all that time he hasn't favored using a fullback, despite what his tendency was in Green Bay.
Can't favor what you don't have. Last year, Luepke was a rookie. This year, he might be our second-best option among the TEs/FBs.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
My blood pressure just went up reading your post. Imagine me at the time it actually happened. I was at my aunt's house. There were little kids running around. I had to stay silent.
Oh No! :muttley:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Can't favor what you don't have. Last year, Luepke was a rookie. This year, he might be our second-best option among the TEs/FBs.
Nothing stopped him from having it other than not wanting it. You seem so desperate to be right, you refuse to see what actually has been while MM has been with the Cowboys. Nothing is going to change at fullback.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm really tired of these coaches talking about fullbacks and then only getting them 1 play a game. Well see if they actually have a plan to get leupke on the field with offense or not..
I understand your disposition after dealing with Garret for a decade but MM was one of the last people in the NFL to still be using a FB before he came here.

I can see him trying to develop an F. Let's see if he is worth a flip and can hold onto the ball.

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand your disposition after dealing with Garret for a decade but MM was one of the last people in the NFL to still be using a FB before he came here.

I can see him trying to develop an F. Let's see if he is worth a flip and can hold onto the ball.
One bad handoff does not warrant your last statement.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
One bad handoff does not warrant your last statement.
So him fumbling does not warrant a concern about more fumbling?

Seeing that the coaching staff buried him after I do not find your statement remotely credible.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-august-2024

I've thought ever since we signed Freeman and Zeke (and drafted Beebe with the idea of converting him to center) that we would use the fullback more this season. Since our run game coordinator and offensive line coach prefer the inside zone running game, the backs we've added are better between the tackles and our two best linemen are the left and right guards, it makes sense that we'd use the fullback more to lead the way. I would assume that if Luepke is used more that would mean less two-tight end, so more 21 and less 12 personnel.

Of course, this is Jerry speaking, so it could mean nothing. We'll see how it plays out.
I have nothing against Hunter Liepke. He’s a great story and does bring some interesting qualities to our team. But thinking HL is ”going to be a big part of our offense” is crazy. He is a guy who at best should get 2-3 touches per game. If that’s considered a “big part of our offense”….ok.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

This isn't leupke's 1st year. Let's not pretend he saw much action last year. I'm just saying these guys aren't good enough to have players on their roster who barely get used they need to have a plan implement that plan and be willing to make changes if things don't work out but I don't want to just keep him and then he rides the bench and doesn't do anything and it makes sense

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This isn't leupke's 1st year. Let's not pretend he saw much action last year. I'm just saying these guys aren't good enough to have players on their roster who barely get used they need to have a plan implement that plan and be willing to make changes if things don't work out but I don't want to just keep him and then he rides the bench and doesn't do anything and it makes sense
Sure it is his second season where most players see their most significant improvement.

And as I pointed out, MM used a FB to success at his last stop and now that he has taken over the offense, it makes sense that he might want to develop another. He has talked about his emphasis on perimeter blocking every year and uses a lot of 12 as it is.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Define "Huge"..so far ( and kinda like last year) we need to get the ball to how many players? Lamb (if he gets paidf better believe he will get those touches), Cooks, Fergie, Tolbert, Turpin, Zeke, And Hunter who is going to be a "Huge" part..its gonna be a good year boys we are going to set a record for offensive plays...Im not even saying he shouldn't be I'm just wondering who will be the "Small" part of the offense..

slick325

Reaction score
Always feels good to hear the owner/GM talk about who is going to play what role in the offensive or defensive system. As opposed to hearing the HC or specific coordinator discuss who makes the team and the role they may play.

Jerry Jones. We appreciate you always being Jerry Jones.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Always feels good to hear the owner/GM talk about who is going to play what role in the offensive or defensive system. As opposed to hearing the HC or specific coordinator discuss who makes the team and the role they may play.

Jerry Jones. We appreciate you always being Jerry Jones.
dont worry Bill Belicheat is coming to shut that stuff down next year...yeah right..lol

gimmesix

Reaction score
I have nothing against Hunter Liepke. He’s a great story and does bring some interesting qualities to our team. But thinking HL is ”going to be a big part of our offense” is crazy. He is a guy who at best should get 2-3 touches per game. If that’s considered a “big part of our offense”….ok.
Well, Jerry said it ... so he knows crazy.

I don't really take big part of our offense to mean the number of touches. I take it more as number of snaps. Luepke is going to be in there more blocking, running routes and occasionally catching or running the ball. Now, Jerry could be delusional and referring to touches.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Nothing stopped him from having it other than not wanting it. You seem so desperate to be right, you refuse to see what actually has been while MM has been with the Cowboys. Nothing is going to change at fullback.
You can want it but not have the players for it. Before this year, it could be argued that we had better options for extra tight ends than we did for fullbacks. Luepke started getting some of those snaps last year as a rookie. There's no reason to be surprised if he gets more this year.

You seem desperate to say this isn't going to happen when neither of us knows.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You can want it but not have the players for it. Before this year, it could be argued that we had better options for extra tight ends than we did for fullbacks. Luepke started getting some of those snaps last year as a rookie. There's no reason to be surprised if he gets more this year.

You seem desperate to say this isn't going to happen when neither of us knows.
I will remind you of the fumble on the goal line against Miami. Is that some of those snaps last year as a rookie? :laugh:

gimmesix

Reaction score
I will remind you of the fumble on the goal line against Miami. Is that some of those snaps last year as a rookie? :laugh:
So you are going to base his future off one fumble? I think we can see who is being the extremist here.

The team has been saying he's had a nice camp and he's showing up everywhere. What that translates to, I don't know. I expect him to have a bigger role, partly because of the run scheme/running backs we're using (which would seem to benefit from a blocker out of the backfield instead of on the edges) and partly because he may be better than our second TE candidates. Jerry has also said he's going to be "a big part of our offense," but Jerry is full of hyperbole, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

McCarthy has shown in his career as a play-caller that he's not shy about using a fullback if he's got one worthwhile. It will be up to Luepke to prove that he does.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/updates-august-2024

I've thought ever since we signed Freeman and Zeke (and drafted Beebe with the idea of converting him to center) that we would use the fullback more this season. Since our run game coordinator and offensive line coach prefer the inside zone running game, the backs we've added are better between the tackles and our two best linemen are the left and right guards, it makes sense that we'd use the fullback more to lead the way. I would assume that if Luepke is used more that would mean less two-tight end, so more 21 and less 12 personnel.

Of course, this is Jerry speaking, so it could mean nothing. We'll see how it plays out.
Sounds good running up the middle, except you left out the part that sounds bad - losing our starting C and playing the UDFA backup C from last year.

The greater threat up the middle should let us get *more* productivity in the run game from Lamb and Turpin. Conceivably Vaughn, though I suspect he's headed for the PS this year.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Sounds good running up the middle, except you left out the part that sounds bad - losing our starting C and playing the UDFA backup C from last year.

The greater threat up the middle should let us get *more* productivity in the run game from Lamb and Turpin. Conceivably Vaughn, though I suspect he's headed for the PS this year.
That is a big question mark, as are the backs who will be running up the middle. One reason I was hoping Beebe would win the center job is because of the power we'd have between the tackles, especially with backs like Elliott and Freeman who can do little outside the tackles.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So you are going to base his future off one fumble? I think we can see who is being the extremist here.

The team has been saying he's had a nice camp and he's showing up everywhere. What that translates to, I don't know. I expect him to have a bigger role, partly because of the run scheme/running backs we're using (which would seem to benefit from a blocker out of the backfield instead of on the edges) and partly because he may be better than our second TE candidates. Jerry has also said he's going to be "a big part of our offense," but Jerry is full of hyperbole, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

McCarthy has shown in his career as a play-caller that he's not shy about using a fullback if he's got one worthwhile. It will be up to Luepke to prove that he does.
Did I say that's all I base his future on? NO, I did not. Hunter is bust, wasting the time of this coach and team.