Luepke "going to be a big part of our offense"

Proof

Reaction score
What? It bounced off the chest plate of his shoulder pads. You began by placing all the blame on the FB.
Now, it's "sure, but still..".
It is the QBs responsibility to properly place the ball
in the FBs gut. Simple as that.
uhh. there's nothing contradictory. it wasn't "textbook" and the runner should have still taken possession and is more at fault. it's also the qb's responsibility to properly place a ball to a receiver, and yet and still they manage to catch them in all manner of ways if not delivered "textbook"

RoboQB

Reaction score
uhh. there's nothing contradictory. it wasn't "textbook" and the runner should have still taken possession and is more at fault. it's also the qb's responsibility to properly place a ball to a receiver, and yet and still they manage to catch them in all manner of ways if not delivered "textbook"
So now you're implying a handoff and a pass should be viewed equally. They're not. I've already gone 'round and 'round with some MaloneVI dude on this.
Every coaching clinic I've been to says I'm right.
Among others, I defer to Joe Gibbs who won 3 SBs with 3 different QBs.
Placing the ball high up in the chest of the runner is highly probable to result in a fumble. You want to blame the FB, fine, I'll say 10% fault for the FB and 90% on the QB who was taught since he was eight years old to stick in the gut of the runner. As a youth coach probably told him, "I want you to hear the RB grunt as you stick the ball into his gut."
It's amazing how many supposed fans don't know this very basic fact that is the first thing a QB and RB practice as kids.

Proof

Reaction score
So now you're implying a handoff and a pass should be viewed equally. They're not. I've already gone 'round and 'round with some MaloneVI dude on this.
Placing the ball high up in the chest of the runner is highly probable to result in a fumble. You want to blame the FB, fine, I'll say 10% fault for the FB and 90% on the QB who was taught since he was eight years old to stick in the gut of the runner. As a youth coach probably told him, "I want you to hear the RB grunt as you stick the ball into his gut."
It's amazing how many supposed fans don't know this very basic fact that is the first thing a QB and RB practice as kids.
no i'm not implying anything. i'm directly stating that a professional fullback / runningback should be able to accept an imperfect handoff. period.

you're arguing something different and deferring to expertise about something no one is arguing and running it into the ground. I hadn't seen your back and forth with malone prior to responding, if i had, i wouldn't have. all good. nothing more to be discussed or convinced.

RoboQB

Reaction score
no i'm not implying anything. i'm directly stating that a professional fullback / runningback should be able to accept an imperfect handoff. period.

you're arguing something different and deferring to expertise about something no one is arguing and running it into the ground. I hadn't seen your back and forth with malone prior to responding, if i had, i wouldn't have. all good. nothing more to be discussed or convinced.
I said it starts with the QB. The fault starts with him.
Same as a relay race. The one handing off is responsible because the one getting the baton (or football) is
looking straight ahead. Could he have adjusted? Sure.
But why is it not the QBs fault? Rhetorical question.

RoboQB

Reaction score
105 comments (too many from me...lol)
Does Hunter Luepke get 105 carries... in his career?
Probably not.

John813

Reaction score
Just wild to me they decide to use Luepke vs a good team like Miami and not at the end of a blowout vs the Giants or Skins.

Reactions: CWR

RoboQB

Reaction score
Just wild to me they decide to use Luepke vs a good team like Miami and not at the end of a blowout vs the Giants or Skins.
Thing is, he did well until, well, you know.
He had a 4th down carry and a 3rd down carry.
Both successful in advancing the drive.

He also had a catch where, I believe, he got the wind knocked out of him but didn't leave the field. It may, or may not have played a factor in the goal line play.

Reactions: CWR

Proof

Reaction score
I said it starts with the QB. The fault starts with him.
Same as a relay race. The one handing off is responsible because the one getting the baton (or football) is
looking straight ahead. Could he have adjusted? Sure.
But why is it not the QBs fault? Rhetorical question.
sounds good.

kskboys

Reaction score
That was one of the worst handoffs I've ever witnessed. Dak should be embarrassed.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Johnston was a second-round pick for a reason. But we could go back to using the fullback much more if Luepke is a better option than our backup tight ends. Right now, with Schoonmaker nursing another injury especially, that would appear to be the case. When we are not in three-receiver sets, there's a good chance we will be in 21 (two backs, one tight end) instead of 12 (one back, two tight ends), especially if our running game is geared toward running between the tackles (which seems to be what our running game coordinator and OL coach prefer).

Not saying in any way that Luepke is going to get a bunch of touches per game, but he could receive a dive or two and a pass or two if he's out there more than the second TE.
I never said he wouldn't get a couple of plays per game. He's just not going to be a big part of the O.

RoboQB

Reaction score
That was one of the worst handoffs I've ever witnessed. Dak should be embarrassed.
Thank you! My goodness, I was beginning to go crazy.
Nothing worse than having a discussion thinking this can be explained with civility and understanding.
Instead, I get complete nonsense. Felt like I was on a college campus defending the fact that 2+2=4 while
some fool tells me numbers are completely biased.
Ugh!...lol

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I never said he wouldn't get a couple of plays per game. He's just not going to be a big part of the O.
I think he will be out there quite a bit, but that doesn't mean he'll get a lot of touches. I think on early downs, we'll primarily have Ferguson and Luepke on the field with Elliott, Lamb and Cooks.

There seems to be more and more evidence of Luepke being used as a fullback, H-back and even at tight end. But it's hard to say how much of that is because Schoonmaker is nursing an injury. McCarthy showed in Green Bay, though, that he's not opposed to utilizing a fullback.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think he will be out there quite a bit, but that doesn't mean he'll get a lot of touches. I think on early downs, we'll primarily have Ferguson and Luepke on the field with Elliott, Lamb and Cooks.

There seems to be more and more evidence of Luepke being used as a fullback, H-back and even at tight end. But it's hard to say how much of that is because Schoonmaker is nursing an injury. McCarthy showed in Green Bay, though, that he's not opposed to utilizing a fullback.
Luepke was pretty impressive as a receiver out of the backfield in college.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Luepke was pretty impressive as a receiver out of the backfield in college.
And as a runner. What he wasn't was a blocker, which is probably the main reason he didn't get drafted late. In this run scheme IMO, we really need a blocker coming out of the backfield with our inside-running backs. If Luepke can't do that well, then he probably won't get the playing time I envision. If he can, then his ability to be a threat to run or receive puts more stress on the defense.

kskboys

Reaction score
Thank you! My goodness, I was beginning to go crazy.
Nothing worse than having a discussion thinking this can be explained with civility and understanding.
Instead, I get complete nonsense. Felt like I was on a college campus defending the fact that 2+2=4 while
some fool tells me numbers are completely biased.
Ugh!...lol
Can't talk to someone who is a huge fan of any particular player.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

None of that disputes what I said. McCarthy is on the final year of his contract; in all that time he hasn't favored using a fullback, despite what his tendency was in Green Bay.