LVE changed this defense. Dak still a liability

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
They have done pretty well. But one Lael Collins has done absolutely terrible. Cameron Jordan ate his lunch. Hopefully when we get both Tyron and Fredbeard back everything is back to the usual. They've done well but not good enough.

I think, ideally, Le'el Collins is better suited to be assigned to play at LG, rather than at RT. He would be far better inclined to succeed at that position, due to his limited lateral movement being poor to pass protect at RT. Of course, it then leaves the staff to decide what to do with Connor Williams.

Connor's slightly shorter arms may not serve him ideally at tackle but that's for the staff to deal with. There's little doubt but what he has the mobility and lateral movement to fit the bill there, though. Getting stronger and gaining bulk would also be a necessary part of that -- just a thought.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
When you Dink and dunk, its easy to complete a high % of passes

There's no denying that, although, that's what we're likely to see as long as Dak's downfield accuracy isn't something he's too comfortable with. It seems quite obvious that Linehan is reluctant to call plays that allow for that, so he evidently agrees with limiting anything beyond 10 or 15 yards. We'll see what happens if and when the familiarity between Dak, Gallup and Cooper improves enough to allow longer downfield shots.

I'm sure we'd all relish seeing that come to fruition. In the meantime, it seems to favor Dak's passing % in a positive way, like it or not. Otherwise, if long balls are forced on him, some successful drives could be adversely affected. I'd venture to say it'll take some time for that to change, if at all.

Last edited:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think, ideally, Le'el Collins is better suited to be assigned to play at LG, rather than at RT. He would be far better inclined to succeed at that position, due to his limited lateral movement being poor to pass protect at RT. Of course, it then leaves the staff to decide what to do with Connor Williams.

Connor's slightly shorter arms may not serve him ideally at tackle but that's for the staff to deal with. There's little doubt but what he has the mobility and lateral movement to fit the bill there, though. Getting stronger and gaining bulk would also be a necessary part of that -- just a thought.

I think that Williams could be a bust. Unless he puts on more weight and strength. His height and his short arms are also a liability if he is made to play RT. But at least we remove Lael Collins from playing that position. Because he is god awful especially in pass protection.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think that Williams could be a bust. Unless he puts on more weight and strength. His height and his short arms are also a liability if he is made to play RT. But at least we remove Lael Collins from playing that position. Because he is god awful especially in pass protection.

If he's, indeed, god-awful as you say, the staff might adjust things with someone better suited at RT. I personally don't think he's totally horrible, although there's plenty of room for improvement, without question. La'el lacks the quickness vs. the speedy DEs. I'm hoping the draft or vet FA provides a solution for that. I'm no fan of La'el remaining at RT indefinitely and am anxious to see what 2019 has to offer in that respect. Williams needs time to develop. He'll either do so or fail to make the grade and be sidelined or released. It's far from hopeless, though, imho.

Last edited:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If he's, indeed, god-awful as you say, the staff might adjust things with someone better suited at RT. I personally don't think he's totally horrible, although there's plenty of room for improvement, without question. La'el lacks the quickness vs. the speedy DEs. I'm hoping the draft or vet FA provides a solution for that. I'm no fan of La'el remaining at RT indefinitely and am anxious to see what 2019 has to offer in that respect. Williams needs time to develop. He'll either do so or fail to make the grade and be sidelined or released. It's far from hopeless, though, imho.

Well I don't think he's that bad. But your right he has trouble with speed rushers. The staff can probably help by changing the snap count or do quick counts. Dak could also step into the pocket. All in all, our offense just makes it easy for passrushers to tee off on Dak. They know the snap count, they know the plays and where Dak is going to be when passing. Our offense doesn't make it easier on Dak and also our oline.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As long as Dak is a relatively inexperienced QB in the midst of his 3rd year, without the benefit of at least a year or two of seasoning beforehand, there will be problems that occur with his protection at times. He hangs in the pocket too long at times. He'll need time to overcome that.

Also, the current state of our OL is in a state of transition by adjusting to o-linemen who are backups and are subject to the problems that correspond to that unfortunate deficiency. Yes, the offense requires improvement and needs to get their starters healthy and ready to perform as need be, without question. Our OC, Scott Linehan, is an OC who makes highly predictable calls, although I expect it's quite possible he'll either be fired or be forced to make adjustments to prevent it from happening.

We also have an offensive playbook that is a throwback to the 90s. Blame that on Coach Garrett if it suits you but the fact remains that we have just finished beating one of the very best teams in the NFL (New Orleans) lately. Things could be far worse, imho. The defense is one of the best we've had in several decades. Let's simply see what the remaining games have to offer before going into a state of depression.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
LOL now it’s a “team sport”

Hey dumb dumb, you get I am looking at an individual performance and not even putting a W/L on him? I didn’t in 2016 when we were winning - I pointed out his flaws that YOU ALL NOW AGREE WITH.

In 2016, this board was comparing his rookie season to Tom Brady LOL I flat out stated, the team around him was elevating him and masking his flaws.

Now you agree with this and want to argue? Deactivate.
Ever get tired of being a dick?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Agree on Dak. He has many issues to fix.

I think one thing would help Dak a lot...

Learn how to throw the back shoulder fade.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

He can throw it. I'm not sure if it's the WR's, Prescott or the play calling recently, but he's made those throws in the past.

DStar22

Reaction score
Again, Dak was 24-28 with 8.9 YPA

If you’re criticizing that you’re not acting your age.
Dak and the offense played championship football in the first half. in the 2nd half it was back to dink and dunk, and no movement. they have got to figure out how to play the first half way for the entire game.

the defense played marvelously the entire game, but I guarantee you that won't happen all of the time and if we want a superbowl run they need to learn to squash the throat of the opponent once they have their foot on it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I am in full agreement with you here. I have been saying it for a while.....I hope this off season we move Williams to the RT and Collins to LG. Williams has lighter feet and better technique. not as strong, but an off season and lets see how it works out.

Flamma

Reaction score
They aren't getting open. Our routes goes right into the coverage and Dak has to wait. I swear our route tree is the dumbest in the NFL. Why do we run right into the coverage while other teams receivers run right to openings?

I don't know. But did you happen to notice how much time Ben had in last night's game against the Chargers? I know they still lost but holy crap. Then add the fact they have very good WRs.

Batman1980

Reaction score

Smith-Collins-Fredbeard-Martin-Williams works for me.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Smith-Collins-Fredbeard-Martin-Williams works for me.

I believe it's worth giving Williams a try at RT next season, provided he gets noticeably stronger and gains bulk.

It may or may not pan out in the long run, although, his fine technique and quickness should give him a chance.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Go through my history, dumbo. It’s right there, it’s public.

Do it or get out of my thread.

Aren’t you that dopey poster who came at me and showed you have reading comprehension issues? Deactivate, old man.

If you want an easier way to find it - go look at my discussion with Nav22 (he has disappeared) where I told him the one thing holding us back from top 5 defenses was in the turnover category. He tried arguing we were middling.

Come at me, boy. Put the dentures away early and sleep off the alcohol. I told you this before.
Figured as much.......crickets.

You are a whiny hack that has too much of your mommy in you.

Still waiting, Belichick..........tell us all about your arm chair QB skills .

Prove it girlfriend.......I'm waiting, liar.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Go through my history, dumbo. It’s right there, it’s public.

Do it or get out of my thread.

Aren’t you that dopey poster who came at me and showed you have reading comprehension issues? Deactivate, old man.

If you want an easier way to find it - go look at my discussion with Nav22 (he has disappeared) where I told him the one thing holding us back from top 5 defenses was in the turnover category. He tried arguing we were middling.

Come at me, boy. Put the dentures away early and sleep off the alcohol. I told you this before.
Crickets..........

jrumann59

Reaction score
Exactly right!!

Also, if Zeke has a 6 yard run a portion of that yardage is automatically awarded to the lineman most responsible for making it possible.
Show me that stat on a lineman's football card....

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's a big ask.

I'd settle for just anticipating routes and windows a little more. Instead of just only throwing the ball when a guy is already open. Which is why his throws are often late.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Figured as much.......crickets.

You are a whiny hack that has too much of your mommy in you.

Still waiting, Belichick..........tell us all about your arm chair QB skills .

Prove it girlfriend.......I'm waiting, liar.

This isn’t an argument - “crickets” would mean I didn’t respond, I did.

Are you mentally impaired? Stop taking your angry alcoholic fits out on members here.

“Prove it, girlfriend”

Dude, you’re just weird. Also, I referenced where I mentioned. You can go through the posts, i’m not doing the work.

Insane LOL