LVE changed this defense. Dak still a liability

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
So throwing for 2 yards is not dink and dunk?

Or better. You are using YPA to determine if somebody throws it long which is false.
Trying to use any single stat is going to give a skewed view, even using a few stats never give the whole picture. YPA looks better when QBs throw for high completion percentage and yes YAC benefits every QB, especially those with good pass catching RBs. Having a higher air yards per attempt is not necessarily a good thing, because it generally means you're having to throw longer passes and there's always more risk involved in longer passes. It's more important to be efficient.

I posted a few stats about Brees in the off season, In 2017, Brees had fewer yards passing than any other year as a Saint, had his lowest yds/game in his Saints career, his air yards/attempt was one of the lowest of his career, his TD pass % was the lowest of his career, makes it sound like he was awful. The fact is he was just more efficient and wasn't put into the position to have to pass more often. He led the league, in YPA and completion %. He wasn't airing it out, he throws a high number of short passes, especially to RBs and let them get YAC, it keeps down and distance more manageable. Brees isn't thought of as a dink and dunk QB, but that's actually a big part of his game when they are successful. They try to establish the run, throw short routes to RBs, WR screens to force teams to guard them wide to set up deep shots. Brees is a great deep ball passer, but it becomes less efficient the more he has to throw them. That's where Dak has to improve, hit those deep shots when it's open. I think it may also be a limitation in our play calling, the only deep routes we see are the 9 or double move. We never see a deep post or crossing routes, but hard to say how much of that is Linehan, Dak, our inconsistent pass pro or a combination.

It's about being balanced, being able to run the ball and pass efficiently.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Its simple, draft a QB in the early rounds

If that doesnt work out, fire your scouting department
If it was that simple, every team would have have a great QB. Fire the scouting dept if they miss on a pick, regardless of hitting on Fredbeard, Byron(eventually), Zach, LVE etc. Sounds like a solid plan. :facepalm:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
If it was that simple, every team would have have a great QB. Fire the scouting dept if they miss on a pick, regardless of hitting on Fredbeard, Byron(eventually), Zach, LVE etc. Sounds like a solid plan. :facepalm:
QB is the most important position in sports, without one you cant win

If im a GM and I package picks to move up and grab a “cant miss prospect” according to my scouts, and he busts, im getting rid of that staff.

The Deadskins scouting department convincing the front office RG3 was a franchise qb was a fireable offense considering what they gave up

Donut

Reaction score
Give it a rest. Dak gets blamed for everything. Good gracious granny, can't everyone just enjoy the win. We get that people don't like Garrett, Dak, Linehan.

Dak carried the team to the play-offs as a rookie. The team had a ton of adversity last season. This year the team cut Dez, lost Witten and Frederick. The team tried to upgrade the line coach which was an obvious failure.

Jerry and Garrett fire the O-line coach.
Jerry trades for Cooper.
Dallas starts winning consistently with Dak as the QB.
Dallas beats the best team in the NFL.
Most fans enjoy their day and basked at how this team rallied as a team with all 46 players contributing to the team win.

Dak had a rating of 115.5 and completed 86% of his passes.

We did win, right? Am I missing something?
You tell em Blackhorn. Well done.

Donut

Reaction score
We all "Dig" LVE....
We all Dig Zeke...
We all Dig Martin....
We all Dig Cooper...
We all Dig Jaylon....
But.....we DO NOT all dig Dak.....yo dak zoids answer why this is?

P.S. Using Romo and Hate won't cut it unless you have a forest Gump level IQ....
LMAO at your sig. That's funny I don't care which side of the Dak you're on.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

If im a GM and I package picks to move up and grab a “cant miss prospect” according to my scouts, and he busts, im getting rid of that staff.

The Deadskins scouting department convincing the front office RG3 was a franchise qb was a fireable offense considering what they gave up

The problem is there are also a bunch of other teams vying for those picks and fewer willing to give up those picks. There's still too few can't miss prospects and some of those top picks are still busts or never as good as the picks involved to get them. It also requires an organization and system that can develop them. It's always easier after the fact to say if a QB or player is worth the capital to get him especially when you have to move that high on the board. People act like this is Madden and it's really that simple to go and get what you want and know what you're going to get.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

You have a fool proof plan!
I’m with you!

Wait, we are talking Madden, right?

Ken

Reaction score
I can pull up several clips this season when Dak wouldnt pull the trigger.

Cherry picking a few plays where Dak made a decent read/throw proves nothing.

These clips exist for Bortles, Tebow, Weeden etc
Lol.

We are talking about this game and these plays are a big reason why we won.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
i mentioned about a week ago, with some blowback, that our D is borderline top 5 and could heat up near the end of the season. I didn’t think they would look THIS good, but we may have just mentally broken the Saints.

LVE is the #1 reason for this, he has changed the entire way this defense plays, which is becoming far more aggressive with tackling and getting takeaways. While I’m still not completely sold on our secondary, Awuzie and Brown stepped up last night.

The offense is a different story - this is reminding me a lot of what we saw last year with the Jags. Yeah, it was great we dominated the clock, but we put up 0 points in the second half and topped out at 13 points.

I don’t like Dak, but there were some positives - that run where he broke two tackles for the first, that got me pumped up....then goes on to miss Gallup who would have the game clinching TD and proceeds to fumble in the red zone. You gotta make those plays, dude.

You can win a Super Bowl with the level the D is playing at right now - but the missed opportunities that we had last night and the turnover, most of the time great offenses will take advantage of these and luckily our D broke the Saints.

Some kudos needs to go to Garrett - I think he feels his seat pretty much on fire right now and he had this team prepared against the most dangerous team in the league. Jerry, see what happens when you don’t allow your coaches and players to ever feel they have job security?

Time for that big Dak extension. Sorry troll. :muttley:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
The problem is there are also a bunch of other teams vying for those picks and fewer willing to give up those picks. There's still too few can't miss prospects and some of those top picks are still busts or never as good as the picks involved to get them. It also requires an organization and system that can develop them. It's always easier after the fact to say if a QB or player is worth the capital to get him especially when you have to move that high on the board. People act like this is Madden and it's really that simple to go and get what you want and know what you're going to get.
Im not acting like this is madden

What are you really suggesting?

Be content with Dak?

Deep down, every Cowboy fan knows this team is a legit SB contender with better QB play. We need to find a way to get a real franchise QB in here.

Wasting the primes of Dlaw, Zack, Tyron, Zeke etc waiting for Dak to hopefully improve isnt a good plan.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
@Roadtrip635

These are my exact feelings on our qb situation and what should be done

Most of this fanbase think the same way @cowboystats feel. Any of the QBs available at the top of the draft cant be worse than Dak imo

You might want to re-read the response that @cowboysstats made to Joey's "regardless of costs to solution" "I'm not sure I want to buy this lottery ticket"

Probably the smartest solution is to continue to build the rest of the team, wait until after next season to evaluate where we stand with Dak on whether to extend him or move on if we think we can realistically move up to grab a true blue chip prospect. If we decide to move on from Dak we need to make sure as much of the other positions have already been addressed since it will cost picks/players to make an aggressive move. Taking a rookie QB will delay us at least a year or two, even if he pans out,as well, it's extremely rare for a rook QB to legitimately be a day 1 starter. While it's debatable if Dak can guide us to a title, it's not until 2021 that we could realistically expect a 2020 rook QB be able to be a true contender and that's assuming we hit a homerun, longer if he doesn't develop until year 3 or 4 or ever. Like it or not, there isn't a simple solution.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
I can pull up several clips this season when Dak wouldnt pull the trigger.

Cherry picking a few plays where Dak made a decent read/throw proves nothing.

These clips exist for Bortles, Tebow, Weeden etc
You do realize qbs get better....right?

Brees at 25 is trash compared to Brees at 28,29