LVE continues to be weak link

Toro9

Reaction score
I need to pay more attention to Linebackers. To me, LVE is average but not bad. Could be wrong.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Its not about being an all pro he plays scared, timid, and soft in the run game. Just replay todays game and just watch him. Thats all i ask of anyone just watch #55. Its embarrassing hes playing tbh. My sons hs team MLB plays tougher

I hate to oversimplify things as I feel it often is a crutch to overlook things that are important, but I was taught that there was always two types of linebackers.

First was the type who thought, embraced and strategized for playing towards the front of the jersey.

The second did the same things, but always played towards the back of the jersey.

All LBs want to do number 1, but some LBs only have #2 in them for whatever reason. Physical limitations, mental processing, fear, etc.

The issue I see with LVE is he is a bit one dimensional, and I think the OCs try to game plan his dimensionality.

On play action and passing plays I think he reads things very well and he moves with authority to do his job.

On running plays and screens he gets a bit lost, and part of the reason why is he shies away from front of the jersey contact. It is rare to hear an announcer highlight LVE on a play where he attacks a lineman, pulling or moving to the second level, and hits him head on with the intent of maintaining gap integrity or gaining the gap beyond the block.

I would not refer to him as a stout "Shock" and Shed LB. At least with Sean Lee you would see him run head long into a lineman and you would wonder, "What in the heck is he doing?" He was manning up and taking on a blocker to maintain gap integrity, and he would do it with violence.

LVE is not a violent guy. IMO OC's know this and they will game plan a blocker to his gap knowing he can be moved out of the gap.

Last year was a real low point for LVE. I don't think he put up some very good tape last year. Hopefully it was the injury, but we need to see him not be an All Pro, but rather take on his job in the run game with more authority and plug those gaps. Don't get caught up in the wash, and shed some blockers to make plays.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My bad, I did however just punch myself in the face for the misunderstanding.
Oh, was there something you were actually asking me? I thought you were asking a rhetorical question.

Last edited:

Starstruck22

Reaction score
There were some good FA linebackers we could have had but Capboy was tight with his money. Now we're stuck slow and plodding LVE.
Bingo, many on here see the light. The bargain basement, thrift store hand me downs with tobacco stains approach is not working and cannot work.