LVE's ceiling = Dan Connor, Cam Lawrence, Andrew Gachkar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap12

Reaction score
Right now as it sits we have NO Middle linebacker. Jaylon is being moved outside to join Lee where he should have been all along. LVE will fit in nicely in the middle of that defense.
Yep!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Against the Run. PFF graded him 6th best LB in the country. I think on another team he may have a high ceiling. I just don't see it with our team. We need playmakers on defense that create turnovers not another person who has tons of tackles. Evans is a playmaker, and can line up anywhere and be effective.

Evans
0 interceptions,
3 passes defended,
1 forced fumble,
1 fumble recovery

Vander Esch
2 interceptions,
5 passes defended,
4 forced fumbles,
0 fumble recovery

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/rashaan-evans-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/leighton-vander-esch-1.html

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I'd just like to stop the run this season. Last year we looked pathetic in patches. Evans right now is not an every down player. He was not asked to do much in coverage and he would only likely be effective at Wil (where we have an All-Pro caliber player already). I don't see Evans as a 4-3 Mike... at least at this point in his career (too light and short). I like LVE better in this regard.
If we really want to stop the run we need to invest in a big DT. Evans can play inside and jaylon was also supposed to take over the Mike spot. But who knows with our staff. It could be im a little jaded with boise state players from the past. We do have one good one in d law but the others ugh. If we draft him I hope he proves me wrong. Like when I was wrong about Manziel. But I was also right about Byron Jones not being a first round talent and Dak being the 3rd best QB in that draft.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Evans
0 interceptions,
3 passes defended,
1 forced fumble,
1 fumble recovery

Vander Esch
2 interceptions,
5 passes defended,
4 forced fumbles,
0 fumble recovery

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/rashaan-evans-1.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/leighton-vander-esch-1.html
I was mistaken. Depending on who is left at 19 will determine what's the right pick or not. I was right about Carl Lawson last year as well that I claimed was a first round talent. Whoever we take I hope is a future HOF. I just dont get the vibe LVE is it. But opinions are like a*****.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Players that dominate lesser competition I am ok with. I dont think LVE "dominated" at boise state. Romo was not a "Great" player. And back in the day doesn't count it is not like it is nowadays with recruiting and everything.
We will just have to agree to disagree. Those players I mentioned (along with many, many others I could mention) did dominate their competition, and Romo was a great player.

Cap12

Reaction score
I'd be okay with Evans, but would prefer LVE. Evans would need to bulk up some to play Mike though.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
By the way - the big knock on LVE is that he's not good at shedding blocks. Brett Kollmann broke this down on his pre-draft show last night, and explained that that is very fixable.

What LVE does is dip his shoulder into contract because he's trying to get in the backfield and slip past the blocker. A lot of times, of course, he just ends up getting bodied up and taken out of the play. But he has freakishly long arms, and as soon as he learn how to use them, he's going to dominate.

Kollmann broke down Zach Cunningham last year, who has these just abnormal LT-length arms. He's kind of a spindly guy, but he made a ton of plays in trash because he knew how to use his length to keep blockers off him and no one could get two hands on him. And that's carried over to the pros too, he had a great rookie season. LVE's got almost that kind of length (96th percentile among MLBs), plus enormous size and some jumps that point towards freakish lower-body explosion. Kollmann thinks that dropping his shoulder is a very coachable issue, and once he learns to stack and shed, he could be a plus-plus run stuffer.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
By the way - the big knock on LVE is that he's not good at shedding blocks. Brett Kollmann broke this down on his pre-draft show last night, and explained that that is very fixable.

What LVE does is dip his shoulder into contract because he's trying to get in the backfield and slip past the blocker. A lot of times, of course, he just ends up getting bodied up and taken out of the play. But he has freakishly long arms, and as soon as he learn how to use them, he's going to dominate.

Kollmann broke down Zach Cunningham last year, who has these just abnormal LT-length arms. He's kind of a spindly guy, but he made a ton of plays in trash because he knew how to use his length to keep blockers off him and no one could get two hands on him. And that's carried over to the pros too, he had a great rookie season. LVE's got almost that kind of length (96th percentile among MLBs), plus enormous size and some jumps that point towards freakish lower-body explosion. Kollmann thinks that dropping his shoulder is a very coachable issue, and once he learns to stack and shed, he could be a plus-plus run stuffer.
Yeh that is the biggest knock on him in general, is that he is huge but plays small and not that physical. Maybe it can be coached. They say that about everything.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Yeh that is the biggest knock on him in general, is that he is huge but plays small and not that physical. Maybe it can be coached. They say that about everything.

To be honest, I doubt he'll ever be a banger. He just doesn't have that dog.

That's fine by me. Sean Lee's not a banger. You'd always like a violent, physical linebacker, but more than that, you want a guy that gets to the ball and brings players to the ground.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

That's fine by me. Sean Lee's not a banger. You'd always like a violent, physical linebacker, but more than that, you want a guy that gets to the ball and brings players to the ground.
I just think at his size not being a banger is worrisome.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. It was just bad luck. You can't call a draft selection a bad pick simply because a player ends up getting hurt. I'm not aware of anyone being able to foretell the future.

Uh, have you read the posts and threads on here. :lmao:

A player gets injured but is considered a horrible pick...just ask the usuals that posts it...:muttley:

Cap12

Reaction score

Yeah, we didn't have enough of that last season. We got badly exposed against the run in a bunch of games.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Same people who are hating on LVE will probably watch his YT highlights and suddenly think we got a steal. Everyone's an armchair analyst.

We should withhold grades on anyone drafted the next three days until they have a year or two under their belt. Easier said than done, but nobody wins a draft on a name alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.