Mac Engel: Talks about Glenn

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theogt;1738603 said:
We all knew that Carpenter wasn't the starter by the end of training camp. That's like saying Brad Johnson wasn't going to start.

It's not just that he isn't starting, he's not even a factor this season in any way. Engel said that Carpenter wasn't a good pass rusher, and a lot of you got all in a huff and insulted and ... it turns out he's not a good pass rusher. If he was, he would have at least spelled Spencer, who was taking an insane amount of snaps for a true rookie while Ellis was out.

Anyway, I think if there wasn't a sense that the Cowboys "owe" Glenn for having the lesser surgery that they would have already put him on IR. If he's not even casually running by Week 9, you can pretty much close the book on it. I feel bad for Glenn, he was willing to jeopardize his long term health because he wanted to play this year so badly and it looks like it may have been futile.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1738609 said:
It's not just that he isn't starting, he's not even a factor this season in any way. Engel said that Carpenter wasn't a good pass rusher, and a lot of you got all in a huff and insulted and ... it turns out he's not a good pass rusher. If he was, he would have at least spelled Spencer, who was taking an insane amount of snaps for a true rookie while Ellis was out.

Anyway, I think if there wasn't a sense that the Cowboys "owe" Glenn for having the lesser surgery that they would have already put him on IR. If he's not even casually running by Week 9, you can pretty much close the book on it. I feel bad for Glenn, he was willing to jeopardize his long term health because he wanted to play this year so badly and it looks like it may have been futile.
Actually, he didn't say that Carpenter wasn't a good pass-rusher. He just reported what he thought Wade said in his press-conference.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Well, Engel knows more than we do because he's around the team and the players every day.

I heard the spot Catch was talking about, and it was more Mac correcting himself because he'd said a couple of weeks ago that Terry might at least be running by now. So he wanted to update that he's at least a week or two behind that prediction.

And I don't think the team rushed anything on Terry. You notice that in a recent article, he said this injury wasn't related to the first one (unlike what he first claimed) except to the extent that he had to run differently. I think he was just frustrated when it first happened.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I know I heard all the stuff about Glenn being injury prone, but I would rather him have been healthy this year than last.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Im sorry but I dont buy anything that either Engels reports until its corroborated by another source.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
theogt;1738614 said:
Actually, he didn't say that Carpenter wasn't a good pass-rusher. He just reported what he thought Wade said in his press-conference.

Exactly, and lets not forget about his torn quad. He's got time to prove himself yet. Luckily, James has played some outstanding football, and there's no need to rush or push him too hard.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;1738569 said:
He's done...regardless of whether he plays or not...the guy is finished.

what does that mean? If he plays, hes obviously not done.

I'll agree in saying his time is running out but im not gonna say hes in the coffin even if hes on the field at some point.

Woods

Reaction score
I thought Glenn wasn't even going to start running for another 1-2 weeks as he was going to strengthen his quads?

After another 1-2 weeks, then he was going to start running.

burmafrd

Reaction score
frankly, I do not believe any of the mediots about a player coming back from a injury. And we will not really need him untill the playoffs anyway. We can beat everyone left on our schedule without him.

CoCo

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;1738569 said:
He's done...regardless of whether he plays or not...the guy is finished.

Oh, absolutely. He's definitively done. Just like Ellis was because of his achilles, or his contract, or his attitude, or...

We have the perfect vantage point from which to assess these things. ;)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theogt;1738614 said:

I don't remember him specifically saying that Wade said it in his press conference, but even if he didn't, Engel seemed to read between the lines rather well. Obviously, Wade doesn't like his outside pass rushing, because he's never had him do it.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
The team is 6-1 without him and one of the top scoring offenses in the league. Getting Terry Glenn back is like icing on the cake. If he is in football shape as a third receiver in January, that's good enough for me.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Actually, Norm had mentioned that Glenn was a very long shot to come back this season on his show and on the post game shows. Mickey has alluded to it on the pre game show as well.

So Terry may not make it back this year.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Nick Eatman on "The Lunch Break" yesterday said he thought TG would be back around the Giant game...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I still flash back that JJ and Cowboys drafted a IR press release on Glenn and posted it.

Then later retracted it. He's not playing this year, if ever again.

shame

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Nors;1738746 said:
I still flash back that JJ and Cowboys drafted a IR press release on Glenn and posted it.

Then later retracted it. He's not playing this year, if ever again.

shame

Yeah - after the first injury I was skeptical. After the second I really didn't expect to see him again.

Mansta54

Reaction score
I think he'll be back by the end of Nov. JJ isn't saving him a spot on the 53 for nothing. He knows TG is coming back, they're just keeping his info inhouse.. TO also hinted to the matter that TG would be back.. He's coming back this season..

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;1738548 said:
It sucks that the team didn't have more forsight to see this guy was done after last year.
BP repeatedley stated his knee problem was degenerative throught the season.
How good would Stallworth or Welker look in a Cowboy uni right now?
exactly...we have got to stop thinking we can't live without aging injury prone players....which is why we must say no to flo

Mansta54

Reaction score
bbailey423;1738766 said:
exactly...we have got to stop thinking we can't live without aging injury prone players....which is why we must say no to flo

I totally disagree with you. Flo may jump offsides a bit too much but you don't hear too much from the man he's blocking. He's done a fine job. It's hard to find a solid LT. Big Flo gets the job done...

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
The Cowboys ought to put him on IR, and then cut him in the spring.