Twitter: Machota: Romo changed play on 3rd and goal play; Dez didn't know

superonyx

Reaction score
Sounds like you're just looking to make excuses for golden boy he never even looked to Dez while changing the play, no hand signal no nothing so it's all on Romo no matter how you try and spinn it. Dez didn't know the play cause Romo got tunnel vision and didn't bother signaling Dez cause he wasn't part of the play

Sounds more like you are trying to find a reason to blame Romo and any facts that hurt your agenda you dismiss. 10 out of 11 guys knew the play.

So explain how it's all on Romo? You are foolish enough to argue that he didn't audible out of his audible after he saw that Dez was now one on one. Somehow you know that he has the option to freeze the new screen formation yet change the play to go to the opposite side of the field. Please enlighten us on how you know so much about the formation and audibles available from each formation.

Ren

Reaction score
Sounds more like you are trying to find a reason to blame Romo and any facts that hurt your agenda you dismiss. 10 out of 11 guys knew the play.

So explain how it's all on Romo? You are foolish enough to argue that he didn't audible out of his audible after he saw that Dez was now one on one. Somehow you know that he has the option to freeze the new screen formation yet change the play to go to the opposite side of the field. Please enlighten us on how you know so much about the formation and audibles available from each formation.

I just did, but it seems your mind is already made up and nothing not even fact will change it so i am not going to waste any more time trying to explain this to you

superonyx

Reaction score
I just did, but it seems your mind is already made up and nothing not even fact will change it so i am not going to waste any more time trying to explain this to you

In other words you presented no actual facts.

You speak of facts.
Let's look at some facts.

Romo didn't audible out of a play where Dez was singled up on an island.
Romo audibles out of the play and then Dez became singled due to defense shift.
No facts exist which show he had the time, or option to audible again and hold formation.
Dez didn't know the play while 10-11 other players (and the entire chielfs defense did).

These are the facts. The rest is speculation. Much of which is based on peoples bias and agendas.

We're these the facts you speak of? Or are you referring to your "facts" that he could have given a quick signal and held formation yet changed the play target and routes/assignments of a player who was confused.

This isn't Madden. NFL offenses don't have their controllers set up with custom audible and hot routes that can be used on any play.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
In other words you presented no actual facts.

You speak of facts.
Let's look at some facts.

Romo didn't audible out of a play where Dez was singled up on an island.
Romo audibles out of the play and then Dez became singled due to defense shift.
No facts exist which show he had the time, or option to audible again and hold formation.
Dez didn't know the play while 10-11 other players (and the entire chielfs defense did).

These are the facts. The rest is speculation. Much of which is based on peoples bias and agendas.

We're these the facts you speak of? Or are you referring to your "facts" that he could have given a quick signal and held formation yet changed the play target and routes/assignments of a player who was confused.

This isn't Madden. NFL offenses don't have their controllers set up with custom audible and hot routes that can be used on any play.

Fact. Romo did not look over to Dez during whatever he was doing. I'm a very big Romo supporter, just bought my 2 year old a 60$ Romo jersey, he missed a golden opportunity by not seeing the field.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
10 pages in and only one person defending Romo.. haha. I think it is cut and dry who messed up.. and messed up badly on this play. We pay elite money to Romo not to mess up in situations like this.

superonyx

Reaction score
Fact. Romo did not look over to Dez during whatever he was doing. I'm a very big Romo supporter, just bought my 2 year old a 60$ Romo jersey, he missed a golden opportunity by not seeing the field.

It's not a fact. It's your speculation.
Also if Romo did or didn't look over you know that he would have the time and option to call an audible on his audible? And if he does in fact do this and have this ability then you feel confident that Dez would know the new version of this play when he didn't even know what the first audible was?

And what does spending 60 on a romo jersey for a 2 year old have to do with this play?

superonyx

Reaction score
10 pages in and only one person defending Romo.. haha. I think it is cut and dry who messed up.. and messed up badly on this play. We pay elite money to Romo not to mess up in situations like this.

So the number of fans who are willing to admit that they couldn't know the options available once romo audibles out of the called play while sitting home on their couches is being out numbered by the number of fans looking for a place to point the finger on a cowboys message board after a loss.....
I see your point...and based on your logic Kevin Ogletree has a bust being prepared in Canton.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Also if Romo did or didn't look over you know that he would have the time and option to call an audible on his audible?

Yo Dawg... I heard...you liked audibles so we gave you an offense where you can call audibles on top of audibles so you can audible when you audible. Even when you don't even see your WR's.

3214163-yo+dawg.jpg

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It's not a fact. It's your speculation.
Also if Romo did or didn't look over you know that he would have the time and option to call an audible on his audible? And if he does in fact do this and have this ability then you feel confident that Dez would know the new version of this play when he didn't even know what the first audible was?

And what does spending 60 on a romo jersey for a 2 year old have to do with this play?

I'm not sure you understand what fact means. I watched the game closely. Watched that play at least two other times and freeze frame pictures from an article I read where the author showed that he never looked at Dez.
It is a fact that I was looking at Romo and can clearly see as I was screaming at the tv to look that he did not look over. Furthermore, if I'm wrong and he did look which he did not than its even a dumber play. So no that's not speculation that's a fact. I mentioned the jersey so you wouldn't think there is some kind of bias against Romo. See by spending that money on that jersey it demonstrates that I like him to most reasonable people.
Do you understand?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm fine. I don't need any sleep now. Thanks for thinking about me though.
I've provided plenty of proof. Maybe solid stats aren't your thing. Or you just have hard time comprehending them. Maybe it's you who should get some sleep. I can see now why you keep typing "Rat's Butt".

I am certain you can.

To the point, I've seen nothing that I would consider to be solid proof. I've seen an offense that Tony has had more and more input into, year over year, that has consistently gone further and further away from a balanced attack. This year, I suspect, will be no different. I hope I'm wrong but I won't be and you, well, you can claim whatever you wish but there is anything but solid proof to support your position. Sorry.

Nation

Reaction score
Checking into the screen is something I wouldn't even expect Blaine Gabbert to do.. much less a QB you just paid ELITE money to. Ridiculous. Tons of QB's int he league would have seen the giant mismatch on the one on one and would have even hurried to hike the ball there to get Dez the ball.

A short pass was actually the only answer there. I agree that I'd rather the play been a smoke route to Dez and hope that he can make a move on Flowers in space, but Kansas City had the played as well as you can. Flowers played Dez off the line by 5-6 yards and he only has to defend the end zone. A 10 yard fade route that has to be thrown on a 3 step drop is far from the guarantee that some are making it out to be. The Chiefs stacked the line of scrimmage because they knew the Cowboys had 9 yards to the end zone and they could force a throw. Again, I'd rather that short throw go to Dez than to Williams, but the Chiefs forced their hand to a certain extent here.

superonyx

Reaction score
I'm not sure you understand what fact means. I watched the game closely. Watched that play at least two other times and freeze frame pictures from an article I read where the author showed that he never looked at Dez.
It is a fact that I was looking at Romo and can clearly see as I was screaming at the tv to look that he did not look over. Furthermore, if I'm wrong and he did look which he did not than its even a dumber play. So no that's not speculation that's a fact. I mentioned the jersey so you wouldn't think there is some kind of bias against Romo. See by spending that money on that jersey it demonstrates that I like him to most reasonable people.
Do you understand?

I fully understand. Especially the part of your reply where you avoided answering the most important questions.

1. How do you know that Romo has the option from the screen formation where the entire offense is now ready to release their blocks to get downfield after the quick pass, to change the play again and get it to Dez.

2. Since Dez didn't know the play after the audible how confident can you be that he and Romo would be on the same page?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I fully understand. Especially the part of your reply where you avoided answering the most important questions.

1. How do you know that Romo has the option from the screen formation where the entire offense is now ready to release their blocks to get downfield after the quick pass, to change the play again and get it to Dez.

2. Since Dez didn't know the play after the audible how confident can you be that he and Romo would be on the same page?

I never disputed any of that. I don't care. Read my first post. I said he never looked over at Dez. Fact.
By whatever he was doing" I meant whatever he...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
A short pass was actually the only answer there. I agree that I'd rather the play been a smoke route to Dez and hope that he can make a move on Flowers in space, but Kansas City had the played as well as you can. Flowers played Dez off the line by 5-6 yards and he only has to defend the end zone. A 10 yard fade route that has to be thrown on a 3 step drop is far from the guarantee that some are making it out to be. The Chiefs stacked the line of scrimmage because they knew the Cowboys had 9 yards to the end zone and they could force a throw. Again, I'd rather that short throw go to Dez than to Williams, but the Chiefs forced their hand to a certain extent here.

I'd bet hundy's all day that Dez beats Flowers on that route, in that position. Flowers can not cover Dez, one on one there. He has to respect the inside slant because he has no safety or LB help. Dez has him all day on that and the best Flowers can do is hope that Romo throws a bad ball or Dez somehow drops it, which obviously can happen, as evidenced by last weeks game. Howevere, I do not agree that KC had that defensed the best way they could. Any defense that puts a 5'9" 185 lbs CB one on one in the Red Zone on 6'2" 225 lbs Dez Bryant is not a good defensive situation and we were stupid not to try and take full advantage of it IMO.

Had we thrown to Dez there and missed it, you would never have heard anything about it from the Sports Writers or the Fan base because that is the smart play, even if you miss it. However, if you check down to a screen to Williams and totally ignore that matchup, then you deserve everything you get because that is plain straight stupid.

Like it or not, that's how it is viewed and rightly so IMO.

khiladi

Reaction score
All I know is, I saw the coverage n Dez and was like, "OMG, throw it to Dez"... The fact that they pretty much needed to take a shot, considering the down and distance, I thought it was the only possible play anybody with common sense would call. Then, I saw the screen to TWill and I was like, what just happened.. Not only did the screen make me go "what just happened", the fact that everybody shifted to that side, crowding the whole area, making it essentially a case of a guy that is not in any way known to be shifty to have to dodge multiple defenders to get into the end-zone...

I think it's literally the dumbest play, if not one of, in the history of the NFL.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
All I know is, I saw the coverage n Dez and was like, "OMG, throw it to Dez"... The fact that they pretty much needed to take a shot, considering the down and distance, I thought it was the only possible play anybody with common sense would call. Then, I saw the screen to TWill and I was like, what just happened.. Not only did the screen make me go "what just happened", the fact that everybody shifted to that side, crowding the whole area, making it essentially a case of a guy that is not in any way known to be shifty to have to dodge multiple defenders to get into the end-zone...

I think it's literally the dumbest play, if not one of, in the history of the NFL.

Well said. Exactly how I feel.

Zman5

Reaction score
I am certain you can.

To the point, I've seen nothing that I would consider to be solid proof. I've seen an offense that Tony has had more and more input into, year over year, that has consistently gone further and further away from a balanced attack. This year, I suspect, will be no different. I hope I'm wrong but I won't be and you, well, you can claim whatever you wish but there is anything but solid proof to support your position. Sorry.

You are getting whether Romo WANTS to do it and whether he WILL do it confused. I already pointed out Romo, like any decent QB, would want to pass more than run. But to say he will not run more of a balance offense with a first ballot HOF RB is completely ridiculous.

Under Parcells/Sprano and Phillips/Sprano, Romo did run a what is considered a balance offense in the current NFL. Even with RBs who are just average. Romo got away from that as JG got into the picture. Most likely because JG doesn't value the run as much as the previous coaches. Romo WILL run a better/balanced offense if he had a better coach pushing for it. A coach like Parcells.

If you either can't or refuse to comprehend that, then I feel sorry for you.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You are getting whether Romo WANTS to do it and whether he WILL do it confused. I already pointed out Romo, like any decent QB, would want to pass more than run. But to say he will not run more of a balance offense with a first ballot HOF RB is completely ridiculous.

Under Parcells/Sprano and Phillips/Sprano, Romo did run a what is considered a balance offense in the current NFL. Even with RBs who are just average. Romo got away from that as JG got into the picture. Most likely because JG doesn't value the run as much as the previous coaches.

If you either can't or refuse to comprehend that, then I feel sorry for you.

I don't believe that's true. You, are ignoring the fact that Romo has way more control over what happens in Dallas now and the situation is not the same. You have basically made the case for me. Romo does not want to run the ball more and because of that and his increased influence, he won't. If you gave him Emmitt and that OL tomorrow, we'd be running 6 yard patterns from the shotgun all day long still because that's what Tony wants to do. He has the ability to change any play and he does it with regularity. How often do you see an audible to a run play called? Not very often from what I have seen.

I don't agree and there is nothing that I've seen that would make me believe that this is who Tony or Garrett are.

Zman5

Reaction score
I don't believe that's true. You, are ignoring the fact that Romo has way more control over what happens in Dallas now and the situation is not the same. You have basically made the case for me. Romo does not want to run the ball more and because of that and his increased influence, he won't. If you gave him Emmitt and that OL tomorrow, we'd be running 6 yard patterns from the shotgun all day long still because that's what Tony wants to do. He has the ability to change any play and he does it with regularity. How often do you see an audible to a run play called? Not very often from what I have seen.

I don't agree and there is nothing that I've seen that would make me believe that this is who Tony or Garrett are.

Why do you keep changing the argument? I already said Romo, given a choice, would want to pass than run . Read my posts before responding to it.

But to say, he will not run a balance offense at any circumstances, is completely wrong. As I pointed out Romo did run it under Parcells and Phillips. Under JG, Romo has gotten away from it.

If JG wanted to run more, he would. He's the HC and it's his offense. He has every authority to tell Romo, no more audibles.