Twitter: Machota: Romo changed play on 3rd and goal play; Dez didn't know

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Wow it's hard to even have the desire to debate someone who doesn't understand what single coverage is.

Ok, I'll play along...

Explain to me how the CB manned up with Dez and the safety on that side of the field in man-to-man responsibility, not single coverage. Annnnnnnd go!

Zordon

Reaction score
10 pages in and only one person defending Romo.. haha. I think it is cut and dry who messed up.. and messed up badly on this play. We pay elite money to Romo not to mess up in situations like this.

it's funny i was the only one grilling romo in the preseason for the same types of red zone errors. @Romosexual @AmberBeer @Toruk_Makto and the rest of the romo stan brigade had lots to say then but nothing now.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
it's funny i was the only one grilling romo in the preseason for the same types of red zone errors. @Romosexual @AmberBeer @Toruk_Makto and the rest of the romo stan brigade had lots to say then but nothing now.

No one here is indicting Romo's overall ability. We are talking about a single play that anyone not waving their head while playing piano could see was on Romo.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Dez didn't know what the play was because Romo already knew where he was going with the ball. Why bother to change the play with Dez when you already know he won't be involved?

superonyx

Reaction score
Ok, I'll play along...

Explain to me how the CB manned up with Dez and the safety on that side of the field in man-to-man responsibility, not single coverage. Annnnnnnd go!

Not trying to be rude here I promise...but I just don't have time or patience to teach someone on a message board basic football knowledge.

Just realize that double coverage most of the time is a safety and a CB. The CB who you say is manned up with Dez was off the line enough that you can't say he isn't in zone coverage. The safety rolls to help the corner and that would be double coverage.

I'm sorry but I just can't go down this road. If you want to PM me I will answer your questions when I get the time.

superonyx

Reaction score
Dez didn't know what the play was because Romo already knew where he was going with the ball. Why bother to change the play with Dez when you already know he won't be involved?

Hold on a second...so now when the QB calls an audible he has to notify each player separate ways?
Are you seriously saying that Dez didn't know the play because Romo and the other 10 players on the field kept it a secret since Dez wasn't getting the ball.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Not trying to be rude here I promise...but I just don't have time or patience to teach someone on a message board basic football knowledge.

Just realize that double coverage most of the time is a safety and a CB. The CB who you say is manned up with Dez was off the line enough that you can't say he isn't in zone coverage. The safety rolls to help the corner and that would be double coverage.

I'm sorry but I just can't go down this road. If you want to PM me I will answer your questions when I get the time.

So, in other words, just like you see what you want to on the football field, you read what you want to on the forums? I addressed the safety situation. You chose to ignore it.

The safety is manned up. There. I said it again.

I actually further addressed it, since you're obviously quite a stubborn fellow, from your point of view. Even if the safety rolls his coverage after the snap, which is what he would have had to do, there is absolutely no chance he could have gotten to the ball in time due to how far away he was lined up.

You can condescend as much as you want. I guarantee you're the one looking foolish. You're arguing against facts by ignoring the ones that don't support your argument.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hold on a second...so now when the QB calls an audible he has to notify each player separate ways?
Are you seriously saying that Dez didn't know the play because Romo and the other 10 players on the field kept it a secret since Dez wasn't getting the ball.

Secret? I don't even know what you're talking about.

He talked to every receiver on the right side and only gave Dez a hand signal at the end because he had his hands up in the air wanting to know what was going on. It's not like Dez can jog back to Romo and ask. Did you not watch the play?

If you're throwing a screen to the right, Dez lined up all to way to the left is inconsequential. That's why Romo didn't think it was important to change his call, it's not complicated.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

While you're schooling me with your clearly superior knowledge, I brought visuals for you to break down for me with your Madden-line telestrator skills!

dezmadatromo.gif

I look forward to your explanation of how that is not single coverage on Bryant. Annnnnnnd go!

superonyx

Reaction score
While you're schooling me with your clearly superior knowledge, I brought visuals for you to break down for me with your Madden-line telestrator skills!

I look forward to your explanation of how that is not single coverage on Bryant. Annnnnnnd go!

Wow you are really trying to argue over with me over something we

dezmadatromo.gif

You are trying to argue with me over something you and I do not disagree on. Please find my post where I said AFTER the audible that Dez wasnt singled......
I will save you the time....You wont.
It seems that you dont even understand the point I have made pages ago about the play.
I am starting to get bored so I will summarize.

1. Romo didnt audible out of a play where Dez was in single coverage.
2. The defense shifted when Romo changed the play which is what created the single coverage.
3. Once the original plays was changed away from Dez, Romo didnt have the time to audible out of his audible and then do to Dez.
4. We dont know that even if Romo saw Dez in single coverage that he could change a screen play to a pass to dez. Watch your video and look at the line release quickly.

You see I cant blame Romo for not throwing to Dez in this situation because the coverage you see on your video is after the audible was called and the play was changed to a screen. At this point yes Dez is facing single coverage however at this point it is too late to change the play again.

superonyx

Reaction score
So, in other words, just like you see what you want to on the football field, you read what you want to on the forums? I addressed the safety situation. You chose to ignore it.

The safety is manned up. There. I said it again.

I actually further addressed it, since you're obviously quite a stubborn fellow, from your point of view. Even if the safety rolls his coverage after the snap, which is what he would have had to do, there is absolutely no chance he could have gotten to the ball in time due to how far away he was lined up.

You can condescend as much as you want. I guarantee you're the one looking foolish. You're arguing against facts by ignoring the ones that don't support your argument.

Its funny how you say I read what I want on the forums and then you immediately post a video which shows you didnt even know that we were speaking about 2 different situations.....
Maybe you should take your own advise....

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Wow you are really trying to argue over with me over something we

Actually, you were being condescending. I simply replied the exact same way.

1. Romo didnt audible out of a play where Dez was in single coverage.

Yes, he did. The defense didn't change their call. They shifted because they were in man coverage and blitzing, so the defenders followed our players to the right side of the formation.

2. The defense shifted when Romo changed the play which is what created the single coverage.

The defense shifted because they were already in man-to-man single coverage because of the blitz.

3. Once the original plays was changed away from Dez, Romo didnt have the time to audible out of his audible and then do to Dez.

Be that as it may 1)the audible should have never been called 2)It's the QB's job to survey the field. When doing so it only makes since you look in the direction of your best offensive players particularly with the way he was playing that day.

4. We dont know that even if Romo saw Dez in single coverage that he could change a screen play to a pass to dez. Watch your video and look at the line release quickly.

Actually we do know that. The team implemented hand signals for hot reads for the game because of the noise. All he had to to was give one of the hand signals to Dez.

You see I cant blame Romo for not throwing to Dez in this situation because the coverage you see on your video is after the audible was called and the play was changed to a screen. At this point yes Dez is facing single coverage however at this point it is too late to change the play again.

Not trying to be rude here, I promise.... You can't blame him, because you're understanding of the play is insufficient.

superonyx

Reaction score
Secret? I don't even know what you're talking about.

He talked to every receiver on the right side and only gave Dez a hand signal at the end because he had his hands up in the air wanting to know what was going on. It's not like Dez can jog back to Romo and ask. Did you not watch the play?

If you're throwing a screen to the right, Dez lined up all to way to the left is inconsequential. That's why Romo didn't think it was important to change his call, it's not complicated.

If the play was going to go to Dez coming out of the huddle and Romo changed it to a screen to the opposite side then that is not inconsequential. I cant speak to the reasons Dez didnt know the play. None of us can. But the entire point of all of this is because people see Dez lined up man to man after the play is changed and they think Romo just decided to not take advantage of this situation.

For the play to be changed and 10 guys to know what was going on yet Dez didnt is not something you can blame on Romo. The linemen changed their blocking assignments. The formations changed, the defense changed, Dez didnt know what was going on and that makes the argument to change the play yet again after it was already changed and this time throw it to Dez even weaker.

The important point is that Romo didnt walk up to the center with Dez on an island and decide to throw the screen.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Its funny how you say I read what I want on the forums and then you immediately post a video which shows you didnt even know that we were speaking about 2 different situations.....
Maybe you should take your own advise....

Actually, it's because that is absolutely pertinent to the argument because the defense never changed. It shows they were in a man scheme due to the blitz, just as they were before the audible. It shows the defenders overloaded to the right side of the formation because thats where the offense shifted to.

If a team makes the decision to double cover a player in the redzone, I can assure you, they are not going to make a defensive audible that leaves that exact player single covered due to an offensive audible. It was single coverage from the beginning. I know this because of logic and fact.

superonyx

Reaction score
Actually, you were being condescending. I simply replied the exact same way.

Yes, he did. The defense didn't change their call. They shifted because they were in man coverage and blitzing, so the defenders followed our players to the right side of the formation.

The defense shifted because they were already in man-to-man single coverage because of the blitz.

Be that as it may 1)the audible should have never been called 2)It's the QB's job to survey the field. When doing so it only makes since you look in the direction of your best offensive players particularly with the way he was playing that day.

Actually we do know that. The team implemented hand signals for hot reads for the game because of the noise. All he had to to was give one of the hand signals to Dez.

Not trying to be rude here, I promise.... You can't blame him, because you're understanding of the play is insufficient.

My understanding of the play is insufficient yet you still fail to accept or understand(likely both) that the defenses show one thing and give another. You know the defense was blitzing how? Let me guess because that was your understanding of the play based on the defense showing blitz.

So now in order to prove your point you need to ignore facts once again. You are actually sticking to your theory that Romo changed the play while Dez was in single coverage because you know the defense was blitzing with the safety that was staying back to help the CB with Dez.

Ok so now the audible should not have been called and Romo should have thrown into double coverage? I trust Romo to read the defense and guess right if they are blitzing over you. But based on your comments I am wrong for this as well.

So please explain how you know this defense was blitzing when they changed their play before the ball was snapped.....Annnnd go....

superonyx

Reaction score
Actually, it's because that is absolutely pertinent to the argument because the defense never changed. It shows they were in a man scheme due to the blitz, just as they were before the audible. It shows the defenders overloaded to the right side of the formation because thats where the offense shifted to.

If a team makes the decision to double cover a player in the redzone, I can assure you, they are not going to make a defensive audible that leaves that exact player single covered due to an offensive audible. It was single coverage from the beginning. I know this because of logic and fact.

Ok here we go again... The defense never changed? First of all you have absolutely no way of knowing what the defense was going to do before the audible. Secondly you have absolutely no way to say the defense shifted and kept the play the same.

You say its fact and logic yet your argument fails on both Facts and Logic.

Blitzes are designed to minimize risk while maximizing the chances of getting to the QB. Do you seriously believe that the defense would shift their formation like they did yet leave the play the same? This would never happen. Shifting your defense would always change the play in the case of a blitz. It isnt even debatable. Come on man seriously. No team will shift defensive formations and leave the same blitz assignments. That would completely expose them in bad places.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
They didn't change their play.

It makes absolutely no sense that the defense would choose to double cover Dez Bryant and then, because of a Tony Romo audible, completely change gears overload the right side and blitz, leaving Dez Bryant single covered 15 yards from the next nearest defender.

The defense ran the same play they had called when the Cowboys originally got to the LOS. It was never double coverage. It just looked more like it because the offense wasn't overloaded to one side. Once the offense overloaded, it exposed the single coverage.

Even as the defense had originally line up, even if it had been double coverage, before Romo's audible, the safety was too far away to make any sort of play on the ball. He would have had to covered 10-15 yards in 2-3 seconds. It's physically impossible.

The ball should have gone to Bryant. Period. There is no amount of bickering, or stubborn bullheaded, unsound reasoning that will change that. He was isolated before the audible and even further isolated after it.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Ok here we go again... The defense never changed? First of all you have absolutely no way of knowing what the defense was going to do before the audible. Secondly you have absolutely no way to say the defense shifted and kept the play the same.

You say its fact and logic yet your argument fails on both Facts and Logic.

Blitzes are designed to minimize risk while maximizing the chances of getting to the QB. Do you seriously believe that the defense would shift their formation like they did yet leave the play the same? This would never happen. Shifting your defense would always change the play in the case of a blitz. It isnt even debatable. Come on man seriously. No team will shift defensive formations and leave the same blitz assignments. That would completely expose them in bad places.

So they minimized their risk by completely abandoning their original plan, to double Bryant, and instead left him completely isolated about as far away as possible from the next defender?

And no, shifting your defense does not always change the play. When you're in man coverage and the TE motions from the slot to the LOS, or vice versa, the defense changes their play every time? When players motion in and out of the backfield, the defense changes their call every time?

They were exposed! That's exactly the point! They were exposed and Romo didn't see or take advantage of it.

By your logic, why were they so exposed?

superonyx

Reaction score
So they minimized their risk by completely abandoning their original plan, to double Bryant, and instead left him completely isolated about as far away as possible from the next defender?

And no, shifting your defense does not always change the play. When you're in man coverage and the TE motions from the slot to the LOS, or vice versa, the defense changed their play every time? When players motion in and out of the backfield, the defense changes their call every time?

They were exposed! That's exactly the point! They were exposed and Romo didn't see or take advantage of it.

By your logic, why were they so exposed?

Ok....Player motions out of the backfield scenario.....It would depend on the original defensive formation and coverage. Assuming the defense has the man who should be covering the player who is motioning out of the backfield then yes the defense would (assuming they have time) change the blitz assignments to avoid leaving a player running open. You wouldnt want to blitz the man who you need covering someone unless you have the safety or extra CB already there to cover the player out of the backfield....Its too complicated to answer because formation and defensive assignment needs to be factored in before an answer can be given.

Now once again WE AGREE....They were exposed.... No doubt.. Not debatable.........

However where we do not agree is Romo having the time (read Jerry Jones comments about not having enough time on that play to take advantage of it), to see this and change the play again to take advantage of it.
Remember the line would have also been made aware of the new play call so they held blocks long enough to get the ball off cleanly.

My whole point about not blaming Romo is simple.

1. Romo changed the play because he saw the safety providing the double on Dez. (It makes sense)
2. Once play was changed and mismatch is created then there isnt enough time to change the call again to take advantage of the newly created mismatch.