Mahomes Contract is actually less than the Cowboys Offered Dak

glimmerman

Reaction score
Both the Cowboys and Dak's agent think the cap is going up at a similar or higher rate of increase than in the past. That's why the Cowboys want more years on the contract and why the agent wants less.

The KC Chiefs have more information about the projected cap than you or some articles and they obviously expect it to increase at a rate similar to what I posted; otherwise they would not have done the Mahomes deal now.
More time to spread the money out. I doubt mahomes sniffs half of this contract. By 2026 or 2027 he is owed almost 60 million. No way they don’t reconstruct that deal sooner than later. I don’t think he even gets 45 in one year.

I bet the way we would have had Daks 5th year we would have had to go back to the table and extend it and we would have then had a extra year to spread out his next deal.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Both the Cowboys and Dak's agent think the cap is going up at a similar or higher rate of increase than in the past. That's why the Cowboys want more years on the contract and why the agent wants less.

The KC Chiefs have more information about the projected cap than you or some articles and they obviously expect it to increase at a rate similar to what I posted; otherwise they would not have done the Mahomes deal now.

Well it seems the head of the NFLPA has the same concerns that I have.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/07/nfl-salary-cap-could-drop-by-70-million-per-team-next-season/

bsbellomy

Reaction score
This whole situation is strange. The closest analog I can think of is the Kirk Cousin’s situation in Washington. I honestly don’t know if this is more a matter of the Cowboys not being sold on Dak or Dak asking for an absurd amount.

Washington never offered anything remotely equivalent to what the Cowboys offered Dak.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Dak's contract may not be approaching the level of Maholmes but it's similar to Russell Wilson 34-35 million per. year. That makes Dak the 2nd or 3rd highest paid QB. But what I heard is that he doesn't want to play an extra year for the Cowboys and would want to hit free agency for more money.

Honestly, the Cowboys offer is a good deal. He only needs to play one more year and is still making over 100 million. That's not including the other perks playing for Dallas such as endorsements and other perks. He won't be getting anything like that playing for the Browns or the Jacksonville Jaguars for sure.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
He got a record-setting contract in AAV, guarantees and total value. There's nothing else to hold out for.

Dak a) hasn't held out and b) isn't holding out for a number. It's holding out for a number in relation to his peers. Mahomes surpassed all of them.

No, Mahomes did not do the Chiefs a favor, they just weren't afraid to pay market rate.

But if anything Maholmes is a proven commodity. He has won a championship and was an MVP. The second-highest-paid player is Wilson making about what Dak just turned down.

kskboys

Reaction score
More time to spread the money out. I doubt mahomes sniffs half of this contract. By 2026 or 2027 he is owed almost 60 million. No way they don’t reconstruct that deal sooner than later. I don’t think he even gets 45 in one year.

I bet the way we would have had Daks 5th year we would have had to go back to the table and extend it and we would have then had a extra year to spread out his next deal.
Mahomes is well aware that he signed a workable contract so the team could keep competing for super bowls by keeping talent around him.