Mahomes Contract is actually less than the Cowboys Offered Dak

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mahomes is the QB we needed.

Instead we’ll pay Mahomes prices and get Andy Dalton like ability.
We need Mahomes? Thanks. Lol. So does every other team, but knowing that now doesn’t mean anything.

As for paying Mahomes prices, I wasn’t aware Dak was offered the biggest contract in sports history.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ha! That's not saying much. Compared to our Head Coaches since the 90's? So Garrett's lack of success wasn't quite as lowly as those before him?
Is that how you define success? A loser who wasn't quite as bad as his fellow losers? :rolleyes:
It’s been a dark era for Cowboys football. Garrett delivered more than his predecessors this era. It doesn’t necessarily represent a successful picture but given his lack of experience and qualifications along with limited control I think history will be more favorable on his tenure than the current emotions.

In the end a good measuring stick of any HC of Mgmt personnel is are we in a better place than when you took over. I can argue we are. The only other time I think we could argue such in this era is when Bill left.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We need Mahomes? Thanks. Lol. So does every other team, but knowing that now doesn’t mean anything.

As for paying Mahomes prices, I wasn’t aware Dak was offered the biggest contract in sports history.
Right

That’s where Mahomes did Dak a favor. Cause up until his contract Dak was in effect asking to be highest paid.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Something is up. If Dak would get paid more with his offer than mahomes in the first 4 years then Daks agent should have him sign. That way the media will show Dak is the highest paid player for the next 4 years. JJ can brag he got the deal done and everyone is happy. My guess is when Daks agent pulled the plug on the deal he priced Dak out of the market.

blueblood70

Reaction score
pretty simple. The FO doesn’t feel like Dak is worth what he’s asking for. Weather it’s the years or the money is irrelevant. The FO is Dug in. And I hope they stay that way. They bent over for tank, Jaylon, Dez, Zeke. The list of bad contracts is pretty long
not sure what you mean they have offered Dak far more then hes worth if the 35/5yr deal is true with 110 Guaranteed that says they do feel hes worth it but so irritated by this rejecting a team friendly 5th year they have decided thats the deal amnd left it there..if they didnt believe Daks the man why not have left the deal at 32 100 over 5? i mean they do have an offer far past what Daks worth in most peoples opinions regardless of market.. lets leave Mahomes out of it, Dak should not be making the same as Wilson either..

we've discussed this far beyond death and beating a dead horse, PITA is on the phone, for 18months now and both sides want to each other but ones over valuing themselves and the other side has grown tired of the bs from the agent..i can care less about market blah blah blah.. the FO tried getting dak before 2019 he turned it down they've offed better deals twice since.. Daks Ego his agents ego and money being the #1 priority has left it here..

Im over it ,Tag no tag deal no deal..lets just play football Daks under contract and this is his make or break year, new staff tons of weapons, one year tag, hes dosent get is to an NFCCG even if its not all his fault excuse , he will get the Non exclusive or TT next year and Dallas will seek trades. Better players have been let go or traded..

hope 2020 goes great and all gets worked out but im over it ...

Section446

Reaction score
This whole situation is really simple, the front office doesn't view him as the guy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right

That’s where Mahomes did Dak a favor. Cause up until his contract Dak was in effect asking to be highest paid.
But even then, it was just because he was the most recent of the better QBs to be negotiating a contract in a market where $33-35 million/year is normal for that level of QB. I’m not really sure he was asking for more than what Wilson got in his 4 year extension. Most reports indicate its the number of years rather than the average price per year that is the holdup.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This whole situation is really simple, the front office doesn't view him as the guy.
I think they see him as the guy for just a little less than he’s wanting.

It’s a really tough decision for him. Accept about 33 million for 5 years or hold out for 35 million for 4 years. Lol

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Less as a percent of the salary cap over the period of the contract(s).
  • Mahomes' Contract
    • Mahomes new money is 450M over 10 years with the 10 years starting in 2022.
    • The NFL salary cap has increased on average 6.52 percent over the past 10 years.
    • Using the same 6.52 percent, the NFL cap projects to average 303.76M the 10 year period.
    • Mahomes 45M average is 14.8 percent the projected NFL cap.
  • Dak's Contract
    • A 5 year contract for Dak at 35M would be 16.4 percent of the projected cap.
    • If Dak's agent wants to use Mahomes' contract as a basis for a 5 year contract for Dak:
      • 33.5M over 5 years is the same 14.8 percent of the cap as Mahomes' contract.

I am not sure why anyone would keep mentioning the cap space going up. The cap is formulated from the revenue and I don’t see how that will increase with less attendance, less concessions and sorts. Also I am not sure about where a new TV deal stands but almost all businesses are cost cutting. We are in an unsure of world right now and any assumptions that operating profits will increase are presumptuous, unless your Amazon.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not sure why anyone would keep mentioning the cap space going up. The cap is formulated from the revenue and I don’t see how that will increase with less attendance, less concessions and sorts. Also I am not sure about where a new TV deal stands but almost all businesses are cost cutting. We are in an unsure of world right now and any assumptions that operating profits will increase are presumptuous, unless your Amazon.

Remember Y2K...

The big money comes from TV and now there will be more TV viewers.

Season ticket holders have already paid up.

They'll lose on concessions for a season and non-season ticket holder seats.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
It’s been a dark era for Cowboys football. Garrett delivered more than his predecessors this era. It doesn’t necessarily represent a successful picture but given his lack of experience and qualifications along with limited control I think history will be more favorable on his tenure than the current emotions.

In the end a good measuring stick of any HC of Mgmt personnel is are we in a better place than when you took over. I can argue we are. The only other time I think we could argue such in this era is when Bill left.

When he took over as you said, his 1st 3 FULL seasons he went 8-8, three years in a row. His last season here, he went 8-8, and Jerry FINALLY decided he'd had enough. The offense was way too inconsistent, and the defense was worse. You can call that what you like, but Jerry called it QUITS. The only thing I see wrong with that is, I can't believe it took Jerry as long as it did to dump the guy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Mahomes deal is a team killer. Its bad for sports. Not in the spirit of TEAM.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When he took over as you said, his 1st 3 FULL seasons he went 8-8, three years in a row. His last season here, he went 8-8, and Jerry FINALLY decided he'd had enough. The offense was way too inconsistent, and the defense was worse. You can call that what you like, but Jerry called it QUITS. The only thing I see wrong with that is, I can't believe it took Jerry as long as it did to dump the guy.
I’m not disputing any of that . I’m simply comparing him to our other HC’s this era and measuring up his record which in comparison was more successful.

You’re focusing on the negative mentioning the 8-8 seasons and not the 3 division titles which was more than the rest of HC ‘s combined this era.

Flamma

Reaction score
But even then, it was just because he was the most recent of the better QBs to be negotiating a contract in a market where $33-35 million/year is normal for that level of QB. I’m not really sure he was asking for more than what Wilson got in his 4 year extension. Most reports indicate its the number of years rather than the average price per year that is the holdup.

This is what I understood as well. And that's exactly the reason Dak won't play under a tag a second time. It would defeat the entire reason this is being held up. That doesn't mean he won't get tagged twice. Just that he won't be playing under the tag twice.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I thought that the cowboys offered $35m per year and it was confirmed by several people. I also thought that over that 5 year span, Mahomes would get less cash than that.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...ract-details-money/1gpmlnyxtkbqi1g4z5aqr21kpp

5 years from now Mahomes gets $141.5m total cash
5 years starting in 2021 Mahomes gets $173m total cash

If the 5 / $175m deal for Dak was real, the Cowboys already offered Dak more money than Mahomes got.

I really don't think people grasp how great of a deal this was for KC. Mahomes definitely helped them out. This isn't the monster contract its made out to be.

You're starting in 2021, and OP starts in 2022. Without looking, I'm inclined to believe you'd be correct as Mahomes is going into the 4th season of his original contract. That said, here's the main point of the question I asked. If Mahomes plays through the 2025 season (5 years starting in 2021) of his new contract, he's guaranteed the 6th year's roster bonus on the 3rd day of the 2025 season. He gets 6th-year money even though he only plays 5-years of the contract. That's $39M more.

3xP28tq.png

Just my take:
  • You need to add about $39M to Mahomes' 5-year earnings, which equals $211.5M
  • The Cowboys have not offered more money over 5-years. Not even close.
  • KC still came out with an amazing deal. Unprecedented, in terms of structure. It is play-for-pay.
Just getting to the most simple question of all...how does a lesser average over the same period of time result in a greater total? The answer is, it doesn't. You only get there with a variety of assumptions and comparing one contract that is half-as-long as the other.

Dallas has not offered Dak more. Not in the short-run, and definitely not in the long-run.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Remember Y2K...

The big money comes from TV and now there will be more TV viewers.

Season ticket holders have already paid up.

They'll lose on concessions for a season and non-season ticket holder seats.

More tv viewers will have no effect on the cap as the current deal runs through 2022, that’s three more years at its current revenue. The NFL as all sports revenue will take a major hit as this Covid has shown it will only get worse without social distancing. A good article below on what exactly will happen To the cap if the stadiums don’t open to full capacity.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ary-cuts-if-revenue-drops-due-to-coronavirus/

shabazz

Reaction score
Yeah he definetly screwed over Lamar, Dak and Watson for sure......Watson could salvage this because Texans are desperate enough to reset the market again.

I absolutely love the sigs. I genuinely laughed my azzz off at that. Well Done!!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More tv viewers will have no effect on the cap as the current deal runs through 2022, that’s three more years at its current revenue. The NFL as all sports revenue will take a major hit as this Covid has shown it will only get worse without social distancing. A good article below on what exactly will happen To the cap if the stadiums don’t open to full capacity.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ary-cuts-if-revenue-drops-due-to-coronavirus/

Both the Cowboys and Dak's agent think the cap is going up at a similar or higher rate of increase than in the past. That's why the Cowboys want more years on the contract and why the agent wants less.

The KC Chiefs have more information about the projected cap than you or some articles and they obviously expect it to increase at a rate similar to what I posted; otherwise they would not have done the Mahomes deal now.