Twitter: Mahomes extension underway

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Zeke got an extension after his 3rd year. Mahommes has just finished his 3rd season. They were both first round draft picks. Why are you saying Zeke got a deal 1 year early but Mahommes might get one 2 years early? If Patrick signed his release now, they would have signed at the same time in their respective careers (which is the earliest they could have signed an extension.)
You’re right . I was thinking it was after his 4th year. It just came later in the year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I do too. One less thing for our childish fanbase to cry about.
Dak may go ahead and sign so he can be the highest paid until mahomes gets his deal. Certainly Dak and his agent don’t think if they wait and mahomes gets 40+ a year that means he will get more than mahomes. If this happens then I will change my mind about him. I am on the fence now. 35 is next after goff got his contract so I understand him wanting slightly more. I don’t think any of these QB are worth that much of the teams cap but it’s the norm. But if he thinks he should get more than a SB winning QB then he needs to go elsewhere and find out no team will offer that. If it’s his agent doing this then he will have Dak sign this deal. I bet Dak wants to stay with The Cowboys for the endorsements and fame. Plus he has a stacked Offense and a greater chance for success.

glimmerman

Reaction score
You’re right . I was thinking it was after his 4th year. It just came later in the year.
He was a first rounder and they were picking up his 5th year option. I actually never expected him to play out the 5th year but didn’t expect him to hold out 2 years early. So because I never expected him to play under the 5th year I see it as holding out a year early. Never seen a RB do that or really any other player. We should have rolled with Pollard and let him sit. Would have set a new tone...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He was a first rounder and they were picking up his 5th year option. I actually never expected him to play out the 5th year but didn’t expect him to hold out 2 years early. So because I never expected him to play under the 5th year I see it as holding out a year early. Never seen a RB do that or really any other player. We should have rolled with Pollard and let him sit. Would have set a new tone...
We probably did Cave on Zeke. It just shows how dependent we are on the Elite supporting cast.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak may go ahead and sign so he can be the highest paid until mahomes gets his deal. Certainly Dak and his agent don’t think if they wait and mahomes gets 40+ a year that means he will get more than mahomes. If this happens then I will change my mind about him. I am on the fence now. 35 is next after goff got his contract so I understand him wanting slightly more. I don’t think any of these QB are worth that much of the teams cap but it’s the norm. But if he thinks he should get more than a SB winning QB then he needs to go elsewhere and find out no team will offer that. If it’s his agent doing this then he will have Dak sign this deal. I bet Dak wants to stay with The Cowboys for the endorsements and fame. Plus he has a stacked Offense and a greater chance for success.
Daks not going anywhere. I think he realizes how much we’ve invested propping him up. We’ve seen what he is without some of the Elite supporting cast.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Daks not going anywhere. I think he realizes how much we’ve invested propping him up. We’ve seen what he is without some of the Elite supporting cast.
And he has to know that we are stacked. Got him a brand new shiny WR. I think we have offered what he wants and it’s all but signed. Maybe a squabble over a few million of guaranteed money that we will likely give him. Will be a 4 year deal for 35 a year. 112 guaranteed and a big signing bonus.

Flamma

Reaction score

By rule the earliest a player can start negotiating an extension is after 3 years. So it's not really early. His 6 year contract extension doesn't start until after his option year anyway, so what difference does it really make? In 2021 is when the big money starts.

DFWJC

Reaction score
By rule the earliest a player can start negotiating an extension is after 3 years. So it's not really early. His 6 year contract extension doesn't start until after his option year anyway, so what difference does it really make? In 2021 is when the big money starts.
You know if you include signing bonus plus the newly guaranteed dollars up front, Flamma, that the big money started when he signed his extension. That really is a big reason why these guys renegotiate...to get a big chunk of the money right away.

glimmerman

Reaction score
You know if you include signing bonus plus the newly guaranteed dollars up front, Flamma, that the big money started when he signed his extension. That really is a big reason why these guys renegotiate...to get a big chunk of the money right away.
Yeah they get the bonus at signing of the contract or extension. Elliot got 8 million last year and gets 19 this year.

Flamma

Reaction score

Dude, absolutely! You're spot on. But they're not renegotiating. They are just negotiating an extension. They know they're getting they're giant bonus up front.

JBond

Reaction score
Mahomes will get 42 a year, 7 year deal. Most of it guaranteed if he is on the roster.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
This is a great point, and one I haven't seen anyone else bring up. I'm a little irked this hasn't crossed my mind either. But it's true that the NFLPA is going to pressure players to get all they can because its entire existence is based on improving things for the player. Accordingly, the NFLPA would frown heavily on players making deals contrary to that agenda. Obviously when a player reaches Tom Brady status he isn't concerned about backlash from the NFLPA, but a young player getting his first big contract is a different situation.
Speculation here but a distinct possibility.

The whole point of a union is to ensure the players are not taken advantage of and that they can point to the fact the union ensures high dollar contracts for everybody.

That's what the main reasons are for a union.

There are other reasons like pensions, medical benefits and political clout.

But the union can not be caught insisting that all players adhere to their rules..

while on the other hand allow a personality like Brady artificially depressing the market by taking less along with an eye wink.

Very risky. Federal Anti-trust laws are at risk there.

:omg:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
There's nothing childish about it other than your takes. Dak isn't a difference-maker so why pay him like it is one?
Based on that logic, there isn’t a difference maker on the team so no one should get paid like one.

starfan1

Reaction score
We probably did Cave on Zeke. It just shows how dependent we are on the Elite supporting cast.
I think it means that Jerry is fascinated with the 90s team on offense and the success they had

jerry is fine with Dak much to the chagrin of the fan base

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's obvious that the term difference-maker escapes you. There are some but I'm not going to point them out to you.
8-8. Isn’t that what the Dak haters keep parroting? Nobody deserves to be paid on 8-8 team. No differences makers there.