Twitter: Mahomes extension underway

Kwyn

Reaction score
I agree. Especially with ALL of the endorsement money he is and will be getting.....
He made around 3m in endorsements last year

you see the 50m number thrown around a lot but that was the amount of insurance he bought in the event his career ended and he lost future endorsement opportunities

Kwyn

Reaction score
Ok. But Goff and Wentz did not renegotiate their contracts.
Not sure what your trying to say here. They negotiated an extension of his contract. That’s always what happens when a player is still under contract and adds more years (and money)

Flamma

Reaction score
Yea I think that's a reach to say that quote means he committed to hold out of training camp without a new deal.

Of course it's a reach. It simply doesn't mean that. But that's the closest thing Dak came to saying anything close to it.

Flamma

Reaction score
Not sure what your trying to say here. They negotiated an extension of his contract. That’s always what happens when a player is still under contract and adds more years (and money)

My post was in response going back to #132. Suggesting that QBs can renegotiate a rookie deal after their 3rd year. A lot of people think that when a QB signs a new deal it takes effect immediately. It does not. By definition an extension means extension. Not sure how else to describe it without putting up the dictionary definition. It's like a hair extension. It does not replace your hair, it adds to the length. Goff and Wentz still played their entire rookie deal for the money in that rookie deal.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

This whole drama as-if this stall until 7/15 is all about Dak wanting x-money for x-years and the Joneses not being willing to pay it?

Nonsense.

It's about Dak wanting to wait to see if Mahomes signs something in the interim.

If he does, it potentially re-sets the market and gives him an extra wad of money. If he doesn't, then Dak at least hasn't committed to something prematurely and live to regret it... the choice, in that case and at that point, will be a straight-up question of if he likes the offer on the table enough to sign, or would rather play a year under the franchise tag.

That's what a QB with an Masters degree would do if he uses his education correctly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Man I hope they get his extension done before we sign Dak. It would have been embarrassing making Dak the highest paid QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Zeke can get an extension done a year early surely Mahommes can get a deal done 2 years early.

Adreme

Reaction score
If Prescott holds out from training camp, he will be holding a clipboard on opening day.

That seems unlikely as Dak already knows the offense and they would not want to drastically weaken the team by starting an inferior player just to send a message (especially when he gets paid the same amount regardless of whether he starts or not).

Adreme

Reaction score
If Zeke can get an extension done a year early surely Mahommes can get a deal done 2 years early.

I am not sure Chiefs have the cap room to eat the piece of the signing bonus they would have to take on this year if he signed an extension

12+88=7

Reaction score
That seems unlikely as Dak already knows the offense and they would not want to drastically weaken the team by starting an inferior player just to send a message (especially when he gets paid the same amount regardless of whether he starts or not).

Hypothetical scenario. Dalton participates with the team in virtual meetings. He runs the first team offense in training camp. He starts the preseason games. Dalton has done everything asked of him and has made connections with the team.

Prescott decides to sign the tag before the last preseason game. Prescott plays a couple of series.

Opening week arrives. Who starts at QB?

If you are a new coach you may lose the respect of the team by selecting Prescott to start. McCarthy would need to start Dalton to show the team if you put in the work, you can be rewarded. McCarthy needs to show that there is no favoritism. It's year one for him.

Even if you believe Prescott is the better player, you can't lose your locker room in year one, week one. If this was Garrett in year 10, it wouldn't matter.

In this situation Dalton must start for the good of the team and most of all McCarthy.

Adreme

Reaction score
Hypothetically scenario. Dalton participates with the team in virtual meetings. He runs the first team offense in training camp. He starts the preseason games. Dalton has done everything asked of him and has made connections with the team.

Prescott decides to sign the tag before the last preseason game. Prescott plays a couple of series.

Opening week arrives. Who starts at QB?

If you are a new coach you may lose the respect of the team by selecting Prescott to start. McCarthy would need to start Dalton to show the team if you put in the work, you can be rewarded. McCarthy needs to show that there is no favoritism. It's year one for him.

Even if you believe Prescott is the better player, you can't lose your locker room in year one, week one. If this was Garrett in year 10, it wouldn't matter.

Dalton must start for the good of the team and McCarthy.

You do not lose the respect of that team. That offense knows Dak.. That offense knows Dak is the QB. Nobody in the locker room doubts who the QB is. Dalton knows barring injury he is not the QB of this team. Teams have dealt with holdouts of star players in training camp before and when they come back the week before the first game, they still start that game. The coaches did not lose the locker room and the team did not have a problem with it, because players understand that the business side of the NFL is its own thing.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I still think paying that much money to any player is insane . No body in the entertainment business deserve such money

12+88=7

Reaction score
You do not lose the respect of that team. That offense knows Dak.. That offense knows Dak is the QB. Nobody in the locker room doubts who the QB is. Dalton knows barring injury he is not the QB of this team. Teams have dealt with holdouts of star players in training camp before and when they come back the week before the first game, they still start that game. The coaches did not lose the locker room and the team did not have a problem with it, because players understand that the business side of the NFL is its own thing.

Did it happen with a first year coach learning his team in the era of covid, no OTAs or mini camp. Basically being with the team for a month when this decision is being made.

If Prescott is given the nod, the feeling of entitlement will spread among the team and McCarthy will be an ineffectual coach. He will truly be a puppet.

Forget Prescott, think how McCarthy will be thinking.

Adreme

Reaction score
Did it happen with a first year coach learning his team in the era of covid, no OTAs or mini camp. Basically being with the team for a month when this decision is being made.

If Prescott is given the nod, the feeling of entitlement will spread among the team and McCarthy will be an ineffectual coach. He will truly be a puppet.

Forget Prescott, think how McCarthy will be thinking.

I mean if you add enough irrelevant qualifiers to any situation you make it unique. I could make my day a unique situation that no one on earth has experienced, but reality all I did was sleep in wake up and eat breakfast.

The fact that there are no minicamps or OTAs makes it LESS relevant that he is missing them not more. The situation is very simple "Star player holds out entire offseason until regular season starts". This is not a unique situation and there is nothing unique about it. We have had a ton of them before and will have them after. He is more likely to "lose" the locker room starting Dalton in that scenario, because it tells the locker room he is more interested in sending messages than winning football games. Dalton is not starting unless actually holds out the regular season or is hurt.

sacase

Reaction score
Honestly, if I was the Cowboys I would wait till next year to sign him. I am not signing any crazy contracts when there is a high probability that the salary cap will decrease significantly. If Dak was smart he would sign what's on the table right now because if the Salary cap reduction hits....he ain't getting a fraction of what he wants right now.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Zeke got an extension after his 3rd year. Mahommes has just finished his 3rd season. They were both first round draft picks. Why are you saying Zeke got a deal 1 year early but Mahommes might get one 2 years early? If Patrick signed his release now, they would have signed at the same time in their respective careers (which is the earliest they could have signed an extension.)

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dak thinks Mahomes has anything to do with his contract....he's been smokin with Randy.

Mahomes

sddefault.jpg

Dak

golden-gold-fish-500x500.jpg

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ok. But Goff and Wentz did not renegotiate their contracts.
It was a extension but after there rookie year is done then does it start into a regular contract. 4 year deal that starts after the rookie deal but they get the guaranteed bonus money now.