Mahomes is great, but should not be talked amongst Brady or even Montana

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I had this debate last night with a friend actually. He was trying to tell me he didn't think Mahomes was all that amazing and it was more so Andy Reid, as he took McNabb to 4 straight NFC Championship games (and 1 Super Bowl).

I totally disagreed and debated with him. While yes, Reid is a great coach and the architect of the offense, Mahomes is a damn great QB. He will be in the discussion for one of the best ever when his career wraps up down the road.

1942willys

Reaction score
I had this debate last night with a friend actually. He was trying to tell me he didn't think Mahomes was all that amazing and it was more so Andy Reid, as he took McNabb to 4 straight NFC Championship games (and 1 Super Bowl).

I totally disagreed and debated with him. While yes, Reid is a great coach and the architect of the offense, Mahomes is a damn great QB. He will be in the discussion for one of the best ever when his career wraps up down the road.
IT was a tribute to Reid he got that far with Upchuck McDuff as his QB

Jarntt

Reaction score
BS, at this point you can put Mahomes up there with anyone. He’s only 28 And may win his 3rd SB. How much more can he possible accomplish by this age

Jayinem

Reaction score
BS, at this point you can put Mahomes up there with anyone. He’s only 28 And may win his 3rd SB. How much more can he possible accomplish by this age
That's the point though the other two finished their careers, he hasn't yet. Let him do that he'll probably win 5 or more and he should then be considered in the same category as Brady and Montana. Anything can happen what if he suffers a career ending injury? That's why you can't just crown him until he wins those other ones. If he wins this one I already put him third all time which is pretty damn great, even if he never played another down.

Right now Mahomes vs. Brady is the Lebron vs. MJ argument people tried to artificially prop Lebron above MJ while having less Championships, but in Mahomes case he could become the GOAT but people are too impatient let it happen naturally.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Mahomes can do more on the field than Brady or Montana ever could. He’ll go down as the GOAT.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not yet at least.

Brady 7 Super Bowls and here is why it's even more clear that Brady is the GOAT over Mahomes than Jordan is over Lebron. Brady is 2-0 against Mahomes in the playoffs, the only QB except Burrow to beat him. Mahomes may win his 3rd but 49ers could also win the game then Mahomes is 2-2. Either way why do people say he doesn't even need to get to 7 to surpass Brady? Brady could have had 9 Super Bowls he scored the game winning drive as he always does then Belichick's defense gives up a TD to Eli, and against the Eagles Brady had 505 yards a playoff record 33 points should have been enough to win another one easily but Belichick gives up 41 against Nick Foles?

Mahomes also has not looked great in any Super Bowl. Don't forget that Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls and never threw a single pick.

I would feel comfortable putting Mahomes third all time already, which is absolutely fantastic and nothing to be ashamed about. Time will tell if he can get to second or first. But he has a long ways to go IMO. He currently is in a tie for 5th for most Super Bowls for a QB with 8 other QBs, if he wins this Super Bowl he will tie Aikman for forth, behind only Montana Bradshaw and Brady. Not bad at all and he could play 10-12 more years.

I say all of this as someone who lives and grew up in Lubbock, Texas home of Texas Tech where Mahomes played college football. I am more of a fan of his than Brady or Montana just keeping it real.
Buckle up cause before he’s done he will definitely be in the conversation . And most likely already is . I expect Sunday to elevate him quickly.

And I’m not a big fan of him. Was rooting against him in playoffs . Don’t think he’s the prolific passer Brady or Montana were. But he’s the greatest Improv QB perhaps in NFL history.

He extends plays unlike some of the greatest I’ve ever seen like Favre and Tarkenton. He’s one of if not the greatest playmaker I’ve ever seen.

I don’t need to wait for his team to win more championships to place him in this Elite category. And I certainly didn’t see this coming while in Lubbock. And honestly was surprised he was a 1st round pick . But he has no equal currently in NFL.

I’m a football purist and I will not crap on talent regardless if I’m rooting against their teams. Mahomes greatness is certainly on or near the same level. And why he’s even in the conversation.

Fmart322

Reaction score
He's on his way to being one of the all-time greats at QB. He's now 3-1 in the SB. That's very impressive to say the least.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Brady moved on from the Patriots and won another Super Bowl with a new team who was I think 7-9 the previous year with no training camp due to covid.
Correct. But there's a couple things about that.
One, yes Tampa was 7-9 the year before. With a qb that threw THIRTY interceptions. To go 7-9 with that many ints indicates Tampa was a pretty good team, just very hard to overcome such sloppy qb play.
Two, Brady talked Gronk into coming back, sure doesn't hurt to have a 4 time All Pro tight end, that you've played with for years, to throw to. In 2019 Evans and Godwin were both Pro Bowler as well.

Brady walked into a very well set up scenario, I will give him credit for what he did but it's not like he took some rag-tag 4-12 team and completely turned the team around..

1942willys

Reaction score
Correct. But there's a couple things about that.
One, yes Tampa was 7-9 the year before. With a qb that threw THIRTY interceptions. To go 7-9 with that many ints indicates Tampa was a pretty good team, just very hard to overcome such sloppy qb play.
Two, Brady talked Gronk into coming back, sure doesn't hurt to have a 4 time All Pro tight end, that you've played with for years, to throw to. In 2019 Evans and Godwin were both Pro Bowler as well.

Brady walked into a very well set up scenario, I will give him credit for what he did but it's not like he took some rag-tag 4-12 team and completely turned the team around..
And what happened that next year with the Great Brady?
7-9
in the worst division in the NFL

Jayinem

Reaction score
I have him at third all time behind only Brady and Montana now with that Super Bowl win, and he's only 28 not even close to done. He could catch Montana or even both by the time it's said and done. This era seems to be the Chiefs against a bunch of meh QBs who are all playoff chokers so he could win more than 7. But as of right this second when it comes to Brady vs. Mahomes it's still 7 to 3 and Brady went 2-0 against Mahomes in the playoffs, so it's not close YET. Mahomes said the same thing when asked about being compared to Brady he's not even half way there.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If Mahomes wins the SB this year, he joins Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman and Brady as the only QB's with 3 or more SB rings.

Anyway you slice it, that ain't bad. And he isn't close to being done.
So now he's 4 rings behind Brady. He's 28 so he has another 17 years to get 4 more. I'd say he's got a good shot at it....

Jayinem

Reaction score
Wrong. Bucs improved to 13-4.
He tries so hard to knock mid 40's Tom Brady as if that were the prime of his career. Yet early 40's Tom Brady was still as good as ever but I guess he expects Brady to still be playing or something.

1942willys

Reaction score
He tries so hard to knock mid 40's Tom Brady as if that were the prime of his career. Yet early 40's Tom Brady was still as good as ever but I guess he expects Brady to still be playing or something.
Brady's last year. what happened?