Making the Playoffs Could Hurt

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It is likely the Cowboys make the playoffs as the winner of the NFC Least but doubt they go far. I think JG is still let go of short of an NFC championship game. While the Cowboys are messing around that will put them a week behind starting the hunt for a new head coach. It will also put us deeper in the draft. I’ll never want the Eagles to win or the Cowboys to lose but it sure would help things if Eagles went on a winning streak and Cowboys lost a few.

You call yourself a Cowboys fan? They can still win it all this season but you want them to mail it in. That's not what a real fan wants the team to do. I want the team to stay the course and turn this season around, win it all. You contradict yourself with that last sentence.

JayFord

Reaction score
If we dont win a SB and Garrett is bought back then im going to assume Garrett has a piece of ownership in the cowboys

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Watch us lose the NFC Championship by 3 points and Garrett get 5 year extension.
Getting to the NFCC is not such a bad thing. If Garrett gets us that far then he has earned keeping his job. Stop putting what you want above what is best for the team. You are so blind with hate for Garrett.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is likely the Cowboys make the playoffs as the winner of the NFC Least but doubt they go far. I think JG is still let go of short of an NFC championship game. While the Cowboys are messing around that will put them a week behind starting the hunt for a new head coach.
Wouldn't be an issue if Jerry gave Garrett his walking papers today.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Getting to the NFCC is not such a bad thing. If Garrett gets us that far then he has earned keeping his job. Stop putting what you want above what is best for the team. You are so blind with hate for Garrett.
No I'm not. I barely post about Garrett, except for calling out the hilarity of his clapping obsession.

I would be happy with making the NFCC game, but us losing it by a FG and Garrett getting 5 more years seems like the Cowboys way.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well it’s really too late to “tank” if they wanted to rebuild we should have traded away players for picks in the beginning of the year. Kind of meaningless to do it now.
Good point. The Cowboys thought they had captured chained blue lightning at the season's start, so they weren't thinking of dismantling anything.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No I'm not. I barely post about Garrett, except for calling out the hilarity of his clapping obsession.

I would be happy with making the NFCC game, but us losing it by a FG and Garrett getting 5 more years seems like the Cowboys way.
Does how much you post about Garrett matter? You still want the man fired and isn't what is most important want you want? :rolleyes:

Firing a coach that still has the team leading the division. Is that the Cowboy way to you?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
It is likely the Cowboys make the playoffs as the winner of the NFC Least but doubt they go far. I think JG is still let go of short of an NFC championship game. While the Cowboys are messing around that will put them a week behind starting the hunt for a new head coach. It will also put us deeper in the draft. I’ll never want the Eagles to win or the Cowboys to lose but it sure would help things if Eagles went on a winning streak and Cowboys lost a few.
i don't think it really matters. jones has already started window shopping so i think its a forgone conclusion.

i can dream anyway.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
This is a dumb way to think about your favorite team. Not wanting to win o get a better draft pick.
I guess you missed the part where I said I’d never want the Cowboys to lose just said it would make things easier.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Agreed. Medicore record would put them in the #14-16 draft spot.

Just making the playoffs regardless of record automatically puts you at drafting at least #21

Will it make a difference with this inept FO where we draft? No. We will screw it up regardless.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
No matter what we do the first few posters in this thread will complain either way. Win a SB and they will ***** about something. It's all they have going for them.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Agreed. I'd rather go ahead and tank. Get JG booted out ASAP and get a better draft pick. What are we playing to win for? Pride? stats? There's no purpose. Superbowl is out of the picture. Might as well get something out of losing right now.

The last thing you want to do is inject a give up mentality into a team. I know everyone is going to ***** and moan and say this team gave up this week or that week or against the Rams, but it's not a lack of effort with this team. Maybe a lack of focus (coaching) or a lack of effort in practice (also coaching). This is in essence the same team that ended last year 7-1, and went 9-7 the previous year and 13-3 before that, not to mention the come back attempt vs Green Bay in 2016. So no, do not tank. We may not be close, but giving up on the season would be far more harmful than being a week being or 2 in coaching searches.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I would not worry too much about the new head coach issue. I'm sure communication has already started on the agent level for any candidate we're interested in.

Exactly this. I’m sure Jerry has already been in contact to gauge interest. And if Meyer is his top choice there’s nothing hoping him back but there are a few jobs out there that may appeal to Urban so Jerry may need to make a quick decision.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honestly dont know if it matters anymore. I think the Giants leak may have sealed his fate no matter what.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
"Making the Playoffs Could Hurt"

From the beat-down that is waiting for us by the Seahawks, I would agree.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Exactly this. I’m sure Jerry has already been in contact to gauge interest. And if Meyer is his top choice there’s nothing hoping him back but there are a few jobs out there that may appeal to Urban so Jerry may need to make a quick decision.
I think as far as openings go we would represent Urbans best chance to win a championship in the pro's. I think adding pro titles to his legacy is what might bring Meyer to the NFL. And considering his tendency to not stay somewhere very long, I dont think he is interested in building from the ground up.