Making the Playoffs Could Hurt

Proximo

Reaction score
“Tanking” is one of the dumbest ideas that football fans subscribe to, IMO.

1) I’m only guaranteed 16 Cowboys games per year. I’ll be damned if I’m going to hope that we lose any of those games.

2) Tanking guarantees NOTHING. You are tanking for a complete unknown. The #1 overall pick in the draft could be a bust and some guy taken at #23 could be a future HOF’er. You never know.

3) Like someone else already said...kind of too late to go the tanking route anyway. We’re #1 in the division and odds are we make the playoffs.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Tanking does to a locker room what cat piss does to your luggage. You'll never completely remove that funk .

CowboysFever1973

Reaction score
Enough is enough! I know I am new here but I aint a new Cowboys fan... Been a fan 38 years so I feel my opinion is valid!!

No tanking... Focus on building a winning culture!

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
When you can lose out and still back into the playoffs you know it's been a bad season....thanks Jason.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It is likely the Cowboys make the playoffs as the winner of the NFC Least but doubt they go far. I think JG is still let go of short of an NFC championship game. While the Cowboys are messing around that will put them a week behind starting the hunt for a new head coach. It will also put us deeper in the draft. I’ll never want the Eagles to win or the Cowboys to lose but it sure would help things if Eagles went on a winning streak and Cowboys lost a few.

The division is awful. You can still be incompetent and win the division.

Now that we're just talking about winning games, Garrett is a net negative.

I am worried about us missing out on a coach during the first week of playoffs. Appointing Marinelli as caretaker coach for the remainder of the season would allow us to still hire next season's coach during the playoffs.

Also puts Richard fully in charge of the defense, and Moore fully in charge of the offense.

Marinelli for HC is all upside. He's almost certainly better than Garrett at game management too.

Addition by subtraction.

Flamma

Reaction score
It’s funny I never said I wanted the Cowboys to tank and I said I didn’t want them to lose.I was just pointing out that getting into the playoffs would put the Cowboys behind in the coaching search they appear to be headed for and get a lower pick. Yet some of y’all I guess just read what you wanted then jumped on your holier than thou you are not a good fan soap boxes and started vomiting your garbage. I hope the Cowboys win out all the way to that Saturday in February but I can also take a realistic view of things and voice my opinion on them. In my opinion questioning someone’s fandom or love of the team and acting like you are a better fan or you love the team more is low class.

Dude, you said it would help if the Eagles went on a winning streak and the Cowboys lost a few. That's what you said. No one read what they wanted, they read what you said. If you're wondering why people are questioning your fandom, ask yourself this, what would you say different if you weren't a fan?

I understand the draft position and the coaching search angle, it's all true. But it's not worth it. I wouldn't trade stomping the Eagles again for a few spots up in the draft.

CowboysFever1973

Reaction score
Remember suck for luck? That won Colts so many championships!

Look at all the elite qbs...Brady... Big Ben.. Drew Brees.. Rodgers.. Mahomes...

Name one that was acquired through tanking.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Remember when we won that meaningless game at the end of the season against the Eagles that did nothing but cost us four draft spots? Me too.
Yeah and will still drafted an all-pro linebacker. Drafted a starting guard in the second and good 2nd receiver in the 3rd. What's your point.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If the the Cowboys go to the SB I bet Garrett still leaves. He's done with Jerry and the Giants are done with Shurmur.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I would not worry too much about the new head coach issue. I'm sure communication has already started on the agent level for any candidate we're interested in.

ding ding ding

Jerry already has his holiday Sears magazine with his pick of coaches in the back

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I was saying the same thing. Then the eagles go out n lose to the dolphins smh

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Dude, you said it would help if the Eagles went on a winning streak and the Cowboys lost a few. That's what you said. No one read what they wanted, they read what you said. If you're wondering why people are questioning your fandom, ask yourself this, what would you say different if you weren't a fan?

I understand the draft position and the coaching search angle, it's all true. But it's not worth it. I wouldn't trade stomping the Eagles again for a few spots up in the draft.

so I guess everyone skipped over the part where I said I didn’t want the Eagles to win or the Cowboys to lose. I only meant it would help in letting the Cowboys start their search with the other teams and give them a better pick didnt ever say to tank or wanted Cowboys to lose.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We basically have a free slot in the playoffs where technically (but not likely) anything can happen. It shouldn't hurt our draft position that much unless we go deep in the playoffs (which would be worth it then). Even if we get blown out in the wild card, we'd get the first pick out of all the playoff teams.

FTWayne

Reaction score
tell jimmy that, he tanked in 89 and we didn't win anything afterwards.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
What happens happens. This braintrust needs to deal with it. They made their bed with all of this.

Since they are all experts and so on, why would anyone worry about it?

Supposedly the Joneses are not the issue and McClay is a talent-mining genius.

So, go Cowboys!

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Eagles are basically tanking their season so that Jerry extends Garrett another 10 years .

lwehlers

Reaction score
The Cowboys have made the playoffs 8 times since 2000. They have three wildcard wins and one sequence of back to back playoff appearances. I’m not giving up playoffs. They happen too rarely lately.
making the playoffs means something. there a a lot of teams that do not have enough talent to get to playoffs and that is what every teams goal should be is making the playoff with a chance to complete for a championship. not worrying what there draft spot will be the next year.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I am reading a lot of comments saying
"We need to tank the season."

I don't know, their making a good point .