Maliek Collins on the verge of a breakout season

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im thinking he had a great season his rookie year getting 5 sacks on the interior. He just needs to duplicate that or more.

Einstein

Reaction score
For the 3rd year in a row. Look I like the guy, and think he could be a stud DT, but it seems like this is the case every year he is here.

Macnalty

Reaction score
When I read that his feet issue was related to footwear and now they have that figured out I was happy. Something like improper shoes wasn't anything I thought possible in the pros. So he shouldn't be fighting the health issue so much this year and finally get a chance to shine.
He broke his foot like Dez did in his rookie season and he came back and played with modified footwear. I am sure the shoe exasperated the recovery, and that particular foot injury has taken many like Dez out of the game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This could be a dream for me. I've always wanted the Cowboys to have a DT that can cause havoc with sacks or tackles for loss.

This is the first offseason Collins has not been hurt. This guy is like a Tank. If he takes his offseason play into the regular season the defense will be better than last season.

Guys like Trysten Hill will learn alot from him. Just having that guy that can get to the QB from the middle of the line will make our defense very formidable. I hate that Quinn and gregory are suspended . The pressure they'd provide would make us almost overwhelming.

What do you guys think about Collins this offseason and how or if he will make an impact for this season?http://insidethestar.com/maliek-collins-on-the-verge-of-a-breakout-season/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BhAB&usg=AOvVaw0pDuUS_254NJ9Y36R8FxED&ampcf=1

From what I've read, he's gotten stronger this year. He's always had quickness, but his strength, especially as a run defender, was lacking. If he can stay healthy and display both power and speed, it could be a big year from a player I was sort of writing off. We need someone to step up on that line and be a big-time presence besides Lawrence, so it would be nice to see.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This is exactly why Zeke can not be signed. What if Collins grabs 10+ sacks and looks like a monster for 16 games? You going to let a stud DT go because you need to re-sign a malcontent RB. Never!

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Funny how players have their best year When their contract will be up...so I expect him to have his best year.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
This is exactly why Zeke can not be signed. What if Collins grabs 10+ sacks and looks like a monster for 16 games? You going to let a stud DT go because you need to re-sign a malcontent RB. Never!

I prefer one that does it consistently instead of just his contract year!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's kinda had a Demarcus Lawrence start to his career.

Hopefully he's moved past the injuries and camp hype like Lawrence and we will actually see this disruptive 3 technique that we keep hearing about in camp.

quickccc

Reaction score
I am thinking Hill was supposed to be the cheap rookie insurance so they dont have to roll the dice and pay the oft injured Collins. Whether it pans out this way is another story.

although a 2nd round pick is not cheap.
That's an high investment .and you don't draft high investment to be insurance, you draft them that high a round to eventually be difference makers
and immediate contributors. Jerry has already said in pre-post draft press conferences that he expects the 1st 2nd and 3rd round players to contribute immediately.
Thing is, Hill may be so raw that he may actually need a couple of years before we have any indication that he's gonna be a emerging stud in the interior.
We'll know once he is declared game day active and see how many significant reps he gets.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hopefully they also keep him at 3-Tech. He’s not a 1-Tech even though he can play both spots, he gets more sacks from the 3.

He only played 1-tech because it was necessary. Terrell McClain had left in free agency. Cedric Thornton was a washout. Stephen Paea was signed, but got hurt and decided to retire. Brian Price got hurt and was put on IR. So our options were 1-tech Richard Ash/3-tech Maliek Collins or 1-tech Collins/3-tech David Irving and Tyrone Crawford. Frankly, because of his injury, Collins wasn't exactly shining at 3-tech when he was moved. Irving looked much better, but we know how that story ended.

With Wood and Covington, we shouldn't need Collins at 1-tech anytime soon. Obviously, if both of them got hurt, it might be a different story, especially if someone else showed that he could make the kind of impact at 3-tech that Irving did.

quickccc

Reaction score
sorry but we've heard this song and dance before with Maliek.
He has had impressive camps before, he has had fast starts at the beginning of the seasons before. And occasionally he will flash that quickness and mobility that the team
was so infatuated with him in this 4-3 one gap scheme. Especially his first step get off at the snap of the ball.

But eventually he fades out, has stretches where he's just decent at best, and it's only just a matter of time before he has some injury issues,
... and it's always with his wheels (foot, ankle, leg, calf, etc)

and its a reason why Trysten Hill was drafted so high. He's going to be counted on to be the 3 tech stud that the club has been trying to get and thus far it's been just a string of
disappointments ala Crawford, Maliek, Irving.
But some other NFL team running the 4-3 scheme, and needing a 3 tech will overpay for Maliek in the FA market.
I'm more looking forward to that likely compensatory picks we could get a couple years away for him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I prefer one that does it consistently instead of just his contract year!

I would rather have a guy that gets injured than a guy that actively chooses to not play because he doesn't like a contract wtth 2 years left on said contract.

fansince68

Reaction score
Although he's been injured the last couple of years, I wouldn't mind locking Collins up at a team friendly deal
Annual injuries, minimal production.....I prefer that players earn the next contract based on the performance during the current contract.

John813

Reaction score
Well hopefully he breaks out this season. Need a good interior push to go along with D-Law and Quinn.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
sorry but we've heard this song and dance before with Maliek.
He has had impressive camps before, he has had fast starts at the beginning of the seasons before. And occasionally he will flash that quickness and mobility that the team
was so infatuated with him in this 4-3 one gap scheme. Especially his first step get off at the snap of the ball.

But eventually he fades out, has stretches where he's just decent at best, and it's only just a matter of time before he has some injury issues,
... and it's always with his wheels (foot, ankle, leg, calf, etc)

and its a reason why Trysten Hill was drafted so high. He's going to be counted on to be the 3 tech stud that the club has been trying to get and thus far it's been just a string of
disappointments ala Crawford, Maliek, Irving.
But some other NFL team running the 4-3 scheme, and needing a 3 tech will overpay for Maliek in the FA market.
I'm more looking forward to that likely compensatory picks we could get a couple years away for him.
What are talking about? Maliek has never came close to having a camp like this. Everyone that has seen him in camp says he's been the MVP of camp.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This could be a dream for me. I've always wanted the Cowboys to have a DT that can cause havoc with sacks or tackles for loss.

This is the first offseason Collins has not been hurt. This guy is like a Tank. If he takes his offseason play into the regular season the defense will be better than last season.

Guys like Trysten Hill will learn alot from him. Just having that guy that can get to the QB from the middle of the line will make our defense very formidable. I hate that Quinn and gregory are suspended . The pressure they'd provide would make us almost overwhelming.

What do you guys think about Collins this offseason and how or if he will make an impact for this season?http://insidethestar.com/maliek-collins-on-the-verge-of-a-breakout-season/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BhAB&usg=AOvVaw0pDuUS_254NJ9Y36R8FxED&ampcf=1
its the rumor around campo for sure.. its his health not his telnet hats in question.. same with Guys like David Irvin, Randy Gregory with drugs holding them back, not talent, point you have to be on the field to reach your full potential..