Man coverage

fortdick

Reaction score
It has been said that Jenkins played man coverage in school, and Adam is a man coverage guy. Newman, on the infrequent occasions he is healthy can man up with anyone. So, that all being said, I am thrilled that we insist on playing zone.

I mean, why take the time in camp to learn to play the corners man up and the safties over the top? Isn't that why Henry was movd to safety in the nickel?

Let's stick with this soft zone stuff we play so well.

:grrr: /off

Dallasfan2010

Reaction score
Especially when we're facing inferior recievers. Little DeSean Jackson wouldnt have had such a nice game if he was getting abused at the line of scrimmage.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that our DLine couldn't tackle McNabb last night, Pacman being rusty, Newman hurt, and Jenkins being a rookie. I think as the season moves along we will start to see a lot more man to man as coaches and players get more confident.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Well if we can't get a pass rush and let a QB run around for 5-10 seconds at a time, its impossible to man up with anyone for that long. Manning up would've made it a lot worse.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
Future;2264803 said:
I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that our DLine couldn't tackle McNabb last night, Pacman being rusty, Newman hurt, and Jenkins being a rookie. I think as the season moves along we will start to see a lot more man to man as coaches and players get more confident.

Lets hope

The 20 yard cushions are killing me inside

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Real1st;2264813 said:
Lets hope

The 20 yard cushions are killing me inside
Every time they completed a 10 yard stop or quick in route, a kitten died.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2264808 said:
Well if we can't get a pass rush and let a QB run around for 5-10 seconds at a time, its impossible to man up with anyone for that long. Manning up would've made it a lot worse.

True but a WCO is about rhythm. Why not throw the Rhythm of the QB and WR off? We got pressure it just wasn't consistent. At times the pressure got there but McNabb got rid of the ball to throw it to a wide open guy in a huge hole in the zone

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You can't just play man. You have to change it up. However, the last several years, we have been a zone team. The Eagles are a Man team. Look what TO and Witten did to them last night.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Dallasfan2010;2264798 said:
Especially when we're facing inferior recievers. Little DeSean Jackson wouldnt have had such a nice game if he was getting abused at the line of scrimmage.

You can still abuse a receiver at the line of scrimmage in zone coverage.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
joseephuss;2264825 said:
You can still abuse a receiver at the line of scrimmage in zone coverage.

Not giving a 20 yard cushion to him

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Why on earth are people peeing on newman now like he misses half the games every year?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Real1st;2264831 said:
Not giving a 20 yard cushion to him

You can still play man coverage while giving a cushion to the receiver.

The CBs were never 20 yards off the receiver at the start of a play. Neither were the safeties and may be they should have been on the Jackson TD.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2264824 said:
You can't just play man. You have to change it up. However, the last several years, we have been a zone team. The Eagles are a Man team. Look what TO and Witten did to them last night.

TO and Witten destroy just about every team we come across.

fortdick

Reaction score
stealth;2264839 said:
Why on earth are people peeing on newman now like he misses half the games every year?

Well, it might be because he does. Maybe not half, but he is getting hurt a lot more than most our DB's.

khiladi

Reaction score
This was taken from Wade Phillips 3-4 playbook:

We will play zone, man-to-man and blitz in any situation. In all situations we will defend the inside or middle of the field first - defend inside to outside. We will not allow the ball to be run inside, we want to force the ball outside. We will not allow the ball to be thrown deep down the middle or inside. We want to force the ball to be thrown short and/or outside.

He also stated, when taking the San Diego job, that he likes to play bump and run, especially when you got players like a Ty Law.

On whether it’s your preference to play bump and run:
That’s the way you play if you can because you’re going to cut down the number of passes they catch. I’m big on percentages of defense and if you can bump and run, if you get a Ty Law that can bump and run their best receiver and shut them down, you certainly can play better. If you have those kinds of people, you certainly want to utilize them and one of the ways you utilize them is to play some bump and run.”

I've seen very little bump-and-run.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
fortdick;2264848 said:
Well, it might be because he does. Maybe not half, but he is getting hurt a lot more than most our DB's.

He doesn't get hurt more than Henry......and I don't think you can compare him to any of the other because of the lack of time they have been here.

Reaction score
If we play man its either one on one coverage or Mcnabb scrambles for 20+. We will see man coverage alot more next week like we did against Cleveland. It's called matching up. Wade is alot smarter than you net coordinators.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
joseephuss;2264842 said:
You can still play man coverage while giving a cushion to the receiver.

The CBs were never 20 yards off the receiver at the start of a play. Neither were the safeties and may be they should have been on the Jackson TD.

I know this but they never play man. And they never atleast switch the coverages up and disguise them.