Man coverage

Reaction score
Real1st;2264939 said:
Braylon Edwards and K2 must suck right?

Who said playing man 2 man with Westbrook was a good idea. I never said that.

Im talking about guys like Avant for Christ sakes.

You just really made yourself look dumb.

Lets try this one more time shall we.

1. Braylon and K2 are good players but I seem to recall mentioning quarterbacks being a big part of playing man or zone. Derek Anderson doesn't want to scramble, which is why we played more man against Cleveland.

2. So you want half the team to play man and the other half to play zone?lol
I'm not understanding that. I dont recall the defense ever doing that. Thats what Pittsburgh does. We either play zone or we play man smart guy. And it was not in the teams best interest to play man up against the Eagles for the majority of the game.

Got it now? JEEZ

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2264962 said:
Lets try this one more time shall we.

1. Braylon and K2 are good players but I seem to recall mentioning quarterbacks being a big part of playing man or zone. Derek Anderson doesn't want to scramble, which is why we played more man against Cleveland.

2. So you want half the team to play man and the other half to play zone?lol
I'm not understanding that. I dont recall the defense ever doing that. Thats what Pittsburgh does. We either play zone or we play man smart guy. And it was not in the teams best interest to play man up against the Eagles for the majority of the game.

Got it now? JEEZ

We played alot of zone against the Browns. So your little theory is totally false.

And then statement number 2

Alot of teams tend to play mixed coverages sometimes. I for one am not implying we always play man coverage but we need to at least mix them up and disguise the coverages better. Play man a couple of series and then play some zone. Just mix it up.

Wade was often criticized in San Diego for this bend and don't break soft zone. Its not about matchups what you tend to think. Its his philosophy. He says the reason we play zone is because the chance of a turnover is more greater that in man if the pass rush gets to the QB causing a ill advised throw.. Well i still haven't seen a INT yet.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
When you have a scheme where you're constantly bringing your LBs up to threaten blitz, if you send them 3 LBs, and you're playing man, someone's going to either be wide opened, or in a serious mismatch.

In a zone, you can fake a blitz from one side, then send someone else, confusing the QB and leaving no one in a mismatch situation.

The problem comes in when the front line doesn't put pressure on the QB. I would seriously consider keeping Spencer in for 1 quarter, and switching it up to see what he has on 4 downs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Real1st;2264884 said:
Your right.

But i don't see the eagles receivers at the caliber of our receivers. The game plan against Cleveland was good. They have a good offense. We didn't let Winslow get a clean release at the line.

No. Playing a predominatly Man coverage scheme is way different then just playing man sometimes. There is a great deal you have to change and you just don't start playing Man for a single game. The Eagles play man but they do it with a whole combination of blitz packages that are designed to force the QB into a bad throw. Nobody plays strait man to man anymore. You have to change it up and with the athletes today, its just easier to play zone in order to protect yourself from getting beaten by one guy. I mean, you game plan teams. We game planed Philly to contain McNabb and to contain Westbrook. We have nobody on our team that could man up with Westbrook. If you do go man to man on him, your asking to get beat.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
Clove;2264986 said:
When you have a scheme where you're constantly bringing your LBs up to threaten blitz, if you send them 3 LBs, and you're playing man, someone's going to either be wide opened, or in a serious mismatch.

In a zone, you can fake a blitz from one side, then send someone else, confusing the QB and leaving no one in a mismatch situation.

The problem comes in when the front line doesn't put pressure on the QB. I would seriously consider keeping Spencer in for 1 quarter, and switching it up to see what he has on 4 downs.

We don't really disguise blitzes well.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2264989 said:
No. Playing a predominatly Man coverage scheme is way different then just playing man sometimes. There is a great deal you have to change and you just don't start playing Man for a single game. The Eagles play man but they do it with a whole combination of blitz packages that are designed to force the QB into a bad throw. Nobody plays strait man to man anymore. You have to change it up and with the athletes today, its just easier to play zone in order to protect yourself from getting beaten by one guy. I mean, you game plan teams. We game planed Philly to contain McNabb and to contain Westbrook. We have nobody on our team that could man up with Westbrook. If you do go man to man on him, your asking to get beat.

But my question is why doesn't wade play Pac man with someone and Have others in a zone?

Im not suggestion we play straight man but can't we play some mixed coverages?

Reaction score
Real1st;2264980 said:
We played alot of zone against the Browns. So your little theory is totally false.

And then statement number 2

Alot of teams tend to play mixed coverages sometimes. I for one am not implying we always play man coverage but we need to at least mix them up and disguise the coverages better. Play man a couple of series and then play some zone. Just mix it up.

Wade was often criticized in San Diego for this bend and don't break soft zone. Its not about matchups what you tend to think. Its his philosophy. He says the reason we play zone is because the chance of a turnover is more greater that in man if the pass rush gets to the QB causing a ill advised throw.. Well i still haven't seen a INT yet.

I never said we didnt play zone against the Browns. I said we played alot mroe man against the Browns than we did the Eagles. I'm sure Wade has a reason why that is and i think i know exactly why. And we mixed it up very well in the second half,but Donovan is just good. I remember the man coverage during the second half when Mcnabb scrambled for a first down to the sideline and started doing his "TO head nod" to the crowd. If you wanted to see more of that last night be my guest. Good job Wade!

Reaction score
Real1st;2264999 said:
But my question is why doesn't wade play Pac man with someone and Have others in a zone?

Where is the "this aint madden" picture when you need it.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Real1st;2264990 said:
We don't really disguise blitzes well.
I actually think we do pretty good, but we HAVE to have our ends get push more often.

I don't know how many times I saw either Ware or Ellis sprint 10 yards upfield, way out running the QB area, if this doesn't get better, it will get us eventually.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2265000 said:
I never said we didnt play zone against the Browns. I said we played alot mroe man against the Browns than we did the Eagles. I'm sure Wade has a reason why that is and i think i know exactly why. And we mixed it up very well in the second half,but Donovan is just good. I remember the man coverage during the second half when Mcnabb scrambled for a first down to the sideline and started doing his "TO head nod" to the crowd. If you wanted to see more of that last night be my guest. Good job Wade!

Yea wade sure did a good job last night. Our defense played lights out the whole game.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
Clove;2265012 said:
I actually think we do pretty good, but we HAVE to have our ends get push more often.

I don't know how many times I saw either Ware or Ellis sprint 10 yards upfield, way out running the QB area, if this doesn't get better, it will get us eventually.

Also i think whats underrated is disguising our coverages. Guys were back pedaling before the ball was even snapped.

DMX690

Reaction score
fortdick;2264951 said:
only started 11 of the last 18 games. (that's 2007- now)
Yeah what's your point, MBIII had zero starts last year in the regular season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Real1st;2264999 said:

We do play mixed coverages. We don't just play zone. We roll coverages. We play combinations of Man/zone coverages. We do a great deal of stuff. It's just that we play more zone then we do anything else. It's pretty much that way throughout the NFL.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2265023 said:
We do play mixed coverages. We don't just play zone. We roll coverages. We play combinations of Man/zone coverages. We do a great deal of stuff. It's just that we play more zone then we do anything else. It's pretty much that way throughout the NFL.

Ok thanks.

Also wouldn't us disguising our coverages more help the defense out alot and confuse the QB making him hold the ball longer and be unsure?

Too many times last night the DBs would be in their back pedal before the ball was snap.

Keep talking im learning alot.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Whatever coverage the Cowboy secondary used last night didn't work. They need to find something else. And quickly! I'm sure the Packers are watching what the Eagles did.

No way a secondary of Pacman'Newman/Henry/Jenkins/Scandrick should get burned that much ever. Something is wrong.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Real1st;2265029 said:
Ok thanks.

Also wouldn't us disguising our coverages more help the defense out alot and confuse the QB making him hold the ball longer and be unsure?

Too many times last night the DBs would be in their back pedal before the ball was snap.

Keep talking im learning alot.

Actually, it's easier to desguise your coverage from a zone scheme. You can play games with your safeties much easier. When you play straight man, you commit to your coverage based on who you have. It's much easier for the QB to read the safeties and see the blitz. It's just a different game.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
ninja;2265040 said:
Whatever coverage the Cowboy secondary used last night didn't work. They need to find something else. And quickly! I'm sure the Packers are watching what the Eagles did.

No way a secondary of Pacman'Newman/Henry/Jenkins/Scandrick should get burned that much ever. Something is wrong.

I seriously think there is a real miss conception out there. Seriously fellas, we only gave up 6.3 yards per pass attempt. That's pretty dang good in the NFL. Especially against a quality QB like McNappie. Heck, we averaged 10.4 per attempt. Yeah, the Eagles had success in the short game but they really didn't hurt us much long. They were also not nearly as efficiant in 3rd Down situations as you might think. They were 5 of 12 (42%) on 3rd down conversions and of those, I believe that at least two were from penalties.

We really didn't do that poorly in pass coverage.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Seriously that was my biggest gripe about yesterday and i mentioned a lot. We made a lot easier on their backup WR's to get easy releases and find the open spot of the zone by playing such soft stupid cushion zones. i mean seriously no excuse for that! im hoping as Pacman, Scandrick, and Jenkins get more reps with Newman getting healthy i hope that will lead to a lot more man coverage with physical play by our corners!