manny lawson bandwagon

neosapien23

Reaction score
I think Dallas should trade their first to Seatte if McNeil is not healthy. We could probably get their first and second pick in the trade. We could take Manny Lawson with the 31st or 32nd pick. I don't like our chances of getting him in the second round. The Jets, Niners, Texans, Browns, and Dolphins all could take him in the 2nd round. The Niners, Texans, Browns, and Dophins all run the 3-4 and could all use Lawson. The Jets might take him in the 2nd to offset the losing of Abraham. Seattle will probably use our first to get a running back that slips to replace Alexander. Maybe Lendale White?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I think Dallas should trade their first to Seatte if McNeil is not healthy. We could probably get their first and second pick in the trade. We could take Manny Lawson with the 31st or 32nd pick. I don't like our chances of getting him in the second round. The Jets, Niners, Texans, Browns, and Dolphins all could take him in the 2nd round. The Niners, Texans, Browns, and Dophins all run the 3-4 and could all use Lawson. The Jets might take him in the 2nd to offset the losing of Abraham. Seattle will probably use our first to get a running back that slips to replace Alexander. Maybe Lendale White?
I was hoping for is that the Texans would want to move up, and give us their 2 and 3 and 6. That way, we're the first to draft in the 2nd round, no one will have a chance to snag him up unless they do it in the 1st.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I think if the Texans take Bush, they wouldn't mind moving up to get some protection for Carr and Bush. To have 2 number 1's is golden in the NFL, and they need protection for thier QB and running lanes for their BUsh - so I would think they would want McNeil.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I think if the Texans take Bush, they wouldn't mind moving up to get some protection for Carr and Bush. To have 2 number 1's is golden in the NFL, and they need protection for thier QB and running lanes for their BUsh - so I would think they would want McNeil.

I don't think the Texans will keep the first pick. They will defintely trade it. The need Oline and have no need at quarterback or running back. Don't be surprised to see them trade that pick and move to somewhere around the 10th pick so they are not reaching for a tackle. The will get another 2nd and still have their 2nd. They could go with Jon Scott, Guilles, and then Lawson.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I don't think the Texans will keep the first pick. They will defintely trade it. The need Oline and have no need at quarterback or running back. Don't be surprised to see them trade that pick and move to somewhere around the 10th pick so they are not reaching for a tackle. The will get another 2nd and still have their 2nd. They could go with Jon Scott, Guilles, and then Lawson.
That's a disturbing thought. But I think they get blasted and publicly trashed if they passed up Bush. But if they do, then we need to get on the phone with Seattle as quick as possible, or just go ahead and draft him at 18.

Either way it goes, we have to snatch that dude up.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Cleveland = DT

Steelers = No need for 1 - they have Haggans and Porter

Patriots = Probably a running back

Texans = Reggie Bush or a QB

Chargers = Secondary Help

Do the falcons run a 3-4?

49ers = Probably a Tackle or something.

Cowboys = We can trade down with like the Texans/ Give them Our 18th/ We take their 2 and 3, and Possibly a 6th.

So we can get Lawson Early in the 2nd and have an 18th in the second followed by another early 3. Not to mention what we can get for Ellis or Glover.

dude, Lawson aint lasting till our 2nd

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
That's a disturbing thought. But I think they get blasted and publicly trashed if they passed up Bush. But if they do, then we need to get on the phone with Seattle as quick as possible, or just go ahead and draft him at 18.

Either way it goes, we have to snatch that dude up.

They would just have to deal with the public being disappointed. They have too many needs not to trade down. Kubiak is a smart guy, look for him to convince management to keep Carr and get him some protection.

neosapien23

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
dude, Lawson aint lasting till our 2nd

Don't know if you read the posts before this one. I think we can trade with Seattle and get him with the 31st pick. The teams that play the 3-4 have 1st round picks that are too high for Lawson. We could get him with the 31st pick and get an extra 2nd round pick to spend on a guard or tackle. Seatle will get someone to replace Alexander with the 18th pick.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
If we can manage to trade our first pick away for 2 seconds or swap with Seattle and pick up Manny Lawson, it will be as great as the Julius Jones move.

I really like this guy on paper... I hope that the Scouts see something in him live and we make a move.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
rexrobinson said:
If we can manage to trade our first pick away for 2 seconds or swap with Seattle and pick up Manny Lawson, it will be as great as the Julius Jones move.

I really like this guy on paper... I hope that the Scouts see something in him live and we make a move.
I hope he doggs it a little so it will turn off the scouts (except ours);) . J/K ........ I've looked at a thousand mock draft boards and I don't see him on any of them...

So I'm hoping the masses over look him as well. Let me tell you this though, if anyone saw Jeremy Mincey (hybrid de/olb) in the hula bowl, he looked alot like Merriman - blasting big linemen and pressuring the QB's all over the field. (had 3 sacks)

He was FAST and STRONG. He's listed at 6'4 258, and if for some strange reason BP doesn't want to pick him that (referring to Lawson that is) high, or we lose out on him, I would turn my attention in that direction.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Lawson was only 240lbs at the weigh in. He is going to have to put on 10lbs to be a first round pick. When does the Combine take place?

marchetta

Reaction score
rexrobinson said:
I have been reading up on this guy and he reminds me so much of DeMarcus Ware its sick. This guy is probably a bit more on the Athletic side than D. Ware (he was a track all star in college too in the agility type events) but I think D. Ware is a bit faster, not much though.

I am no expert in the 3-4 scheme, so I dont know if having two premier pass rushers opposite of each other is a good thing or not. IMO I would say yes, and I would swap side with them often to force the OTs to game plan for 2 players and keep the OLBs fresh and egos checked on who is rushing the blind sides.

This guys Special Teams talent just sells him even more... with a 37 inch vertical (and the 45 one I guess that he did too) he can have his hand upwards of 13 feet on FGs.... that is amazing.

If this guy has anywhere near the personality and general good nature disposition that DeMarcus Ware has I really hope they go after him.

You hit it right on the nose. Drew Boylhart is basically saying the same thing about Manny that he said about DeMarcus prior to last draft...

Manny Lawson DE North Carolina St

Strengths
Manny is an excellent football player and athlete. He was moved from OLB to the DE position and I think it was a very good move for him. Despite his lack of bulk, he is strong at the point of attack and has a quick burst off the line to rush the passer. Right now, he really doesn’t have that many pass rushing moves so there is plenty of upside in his game. He could play as a DE in a 4-3 or an OLB in a 3-4. Manny is fast and strong and very smart. He has first round talent and he is one of my personal favorites in this draft.

Needs to Improve
He needs to bulk up, but not for strength. He needs to bulk up to help him take the pounding of a 16-game season.

Bottom Line
This kid will start to move up in this draft as soon as he completes his workouts. I don’t think the scouts realize how athletic Manny is because everyone is always watching the junior at the other end of the D-line. Manny just might be the better player in the long run. Manny reminds me a lot of Jason Taylor (DE-Miami Dolphins). He has the same kind of build and plays the game with the same mental toughness and leadership skills as Jason. I’m not sure how much bulk Manny can put on his frame, but I am sure that even if he can’t bulk up, it won’t hold him back from being a future Pro Bowl player for the team that drafts him. Manny is much better than you would think against the run and he is a more of a complete DE than most people give him credit for. He's only played DE for two years and is just now learning what he can accomplish at that position. He will grow into an intimidating player in a few years and a player for which teams are going to have to game plan. He has not received the credit he deserves, but I have a feeling that by draft time, he will. I call him Manny (Robert) Lawson because he must feel like the brother on Everybody Loves Raymond. Everybody comes to check out Mario and forgets all about Manny.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

rexrobinson

Reaction score
DeMarcus Wares agility stats from his combine trials looks almost identical to Manny Lawsons

4.51 in the 40-yard dash (wind-aided) … 4.56 in the 40-yard dash (normal conditions) … 430-pound bench press … Bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times … 570-pound squat … 360-pound power clean … 4.27 20-yard shuttle … 7.08 three-cone drill … 38½-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-7 broad jump … 34-inch arm length … 10-inch hands … Right-handed.

Differences is Lawson ran a 4.45, has a 45 vertical jump (jeebus) only benched 380 I think, but thats not a tell all for overall strength in tall men.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
marchetta said:
You hit it right on the nose. Drew Boylhart is basically saying the same thing about Manny that he said about DeMarcus prior to last draft...

Manny Lawson DE North Carolina St

Strengths
Manny is an excellent football player and athlete. He was moved from OLB to the DE position and I think it was a very good move for him. Despite his lack of bulk, he is strong at the point of attack and has a quick burst off the line to rush the passer. Right now, he really doesn’t have that many pass rushing moves so there is plenty of upside in his game. He could play as a DE in a 4-3 or an OLB in a 3-4. Manny is fast and strong and very smart. He has first round talent and he is one of my personal favorites in this draft.

Needs to Improve
He needs to bulk up, but not for strength. He needs to bulk up to help him take the pounding of a 16-game season.

Bottom Line
This kid will start to move up in this draft as soon as he completes his workouts. I don’t think the scouts realize how athletic Manny is because everyone is always watching the junior at the other end of the D-line. Manny just might be the better player in the long run. Manny reminds me a lot of Jason Taylor (DE-Miami Dolphins). He has the same kind of build and plays the game with the same mental toughness and leadership skills as Jason. I’m not sure how much bulk Manny can put on his frame, but I am sure that even if he can’t bulk up, it won’t hold him back from being a future Pro Bowl player for the team that drafts him. Manny is much better than you would think against the run and he is a more of a complete DE than most people give him credit for. He's only played DE for two years and is just now learning what he can accomplish at that position. He will grow into an intimidating player in a few years and a player for which teams are going to have to game plan. He has not received the credit he deserves, but I have a feeling that by draft time, he will. I call him Manny (Robert) Lawson because he must feel like the brother on Everybody Loves Raymond. Everybody comes to check out Mario and forgets all about Manny.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)
Good reading. Keep em comin folks.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I really hope Bill Parcells and Jerry Jones can fill the voids on the Oline through FA with young players. I wouldn't mind seeing Bentley and Barry signed even if we have to shell out a few dollars. I wouldn't mind resigning Gurode and giving him Rivera's job or LAs if we cut him. After all the info you guys are releasing on Lawson, I don't think he will make to the 2nd round. The Boys might have to take him with the 18th pick. BTW does anyone think Fujita can effectively play ILB next to James. I think we should let Fujita and Burnett fight over that position in training camp.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I really hope Bill Parcells and Jerry Jones can fill the voids on the Oline through FA with young players. I wouldn't mind seeing Bentley and Barry signed even if we have to shell out a few dollars. I wouldn't mind resigning Gurode and giving him Rivera's job or LAs if we cut him. After all the info you guys are releasing on Lawson, I don't think he will make to the 2nd round. The Boys might have to take him with the 18th pick. BTW does anyone think Fujita can effectively play ILB next to James. I think we should let Fujita and Burnett fight over that position in training camp.
Thus far, I've not heard much from the practices about Lawson, and that's good for us. If you can spot talent, it doesn't matter what they do in those practices.

I'm ready for the game.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Thus far, I've not heard much from the practices about Lawson, and that's good for us. If you can spot talent, it doesn't matter what they do in those practices.

I'm ready for the game.

Really. He is dominating. They can't seem to block him out there. He has played linebacker before so I would think his transition will be a little easier than Ware's.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Do the falcons run a 3-4?.

They run a 4-3 and they aren't terribly concerned about the weight of their linemen. That probably bit them in the *** this year. They need some beef up front pretty badly.

David.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Really. He is dominating. They can't seem to block him out there. He has played linebacker before so I would think his transition will be a little easier than Ware's.
They said the scouts love this guy.

marchetta

Reaction score
Senior Bowl Practice Report...

If they had been keeping score at the South practice today, the defense would have been the big winners. NC State DE Manny Lawson, for example, made a number of plays in addition to beating Auburn’s McNeill cleanly for what would have been at least a pressure. Lawson, for example, was also able to slice between blockers to break up back-to-back plays in the 11-on-11 action; Lawson, though, did struggle to disengage from the bigger OTs once he got locked up, suggesting he might be better suited to OLB at the next level, especially for a team running a 3-4 scheme.

- www.gbnreport.com