Manziel, If He's There Will Jerry & What Would You Do?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You may be right, but they have a name for players they treat like that: fourth-round pick. Manziel is a top 5 pick in just about every mock.
Up until the week before the draft in 2005, Aaron Rodgers was considered a possible top choice overall.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The problem here is Jerry. Does anybody really believe that if Jerry wants a certain player, the scouts and the educated voices in the room are going to over ride a player call in the Draft Room?

Therein lies the rub, and it don't taste good on ribs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rodgers isn't a huge dousche bag.

True as I said I have doubts about Manziel myself main thing I'm addressing is the notion that Dallas can't draft a QB and have them sit. I think there would be fewer bust at the QB position if more teams were able to sit a young QB instead of rushing them before they are ready.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Up until the week before the draft in 2005, Aaron Rodgers was considered a possible top choice overall.

I don't know how many times I have to say it, that was a weird fluke. There were no QBs drafted between Smith and Rodgers which made the fall possible. The Pack thought Rodgers would be playing right away or possibly at worst after one season. Not only was Favre not guaranteed 55 million, he had been talking about retiring openly after his father died. The Packers never would have drafted Rodgers if they knew he would be a viable football player until 2010.

This weird fluke is why ten years later it's the only example anyone can think of (Rivers also sat behind Brees a year before Rodgers was drafted). It's a stupid thing to do. You don't stash 1st round QBs, you play them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know how many times I have to say it, that was a weird fluke. There were no QBs drafted between Smith and Rodgers which made the fall possible. The Pack thought Rodgers would be playing right away or possibly at worst after one season. Not only was Favre not guaranteed 55 million, he had been talking about retiring openly after his father died. The Packers never would have drafted Rodgers if they knew he would be a viable football player until 2010.

This weird fluke is why ten years later it's the only example anyone can think of (Rivers also sat behind Brees a year before Rodgers was drafted). It's a stupid thing to do. You don't stash 1st round QBs, you play them.

I don't agree. This process used to be common place in the NFL. It went away when the salaries started to escalate so ridiculously. Now that salaries are caped and slotted, I would not be surprised to see this process come back in vogue. I'm not saying that it absolutely will but it's certainly more plausible now then it was a few years ago IMO.

Alexander

Reaction score

Apparently Ted Thompson disagrees with you.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/203119011.html

That is nothing like your imaginary version of how it actually was.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If he fall to 16 and I am Jerra i would say "boy, howdy" and draft him in a heartbeat. Then I would trade him to New York Giants (I know we face them twice a year) or the Commanders (to cause dissension there).
I would then secure a 3rd-rounder from the team victim and get me some D-line hep.

Look, I agree with the Jaws: Manziel is an arrogant little prick, not a pocket QB, and with his mobility (Jaws did not say this) he is likely to be introduced to the NFL before the stretcher arrive. Merchandising? It is overrated. jerra half all the money he need and there are few tickets availlable at the stadium and merchandise sales are out the door. So it remains to be seen: What team like a mobile, arrogant QB? A QB who has ahem, shown a rebelious streak and maybe one who'd pout because he had to learn to not be the swirling dervish of College Station, home of dirt-poor aspiring athletes (except manziel) who half priors dating back to junior high school. OK, i half said enough and all this is opinion so the attorneys cannot depose or despise me. well , they can dispise me but, hey, who don't? And on that subjek I will end by saying that I would like to be voted most popular hear but I dont think that will happen unless I send ever one here a case of Shiner, $1,000, my recipe for habinero tater tots and the phone number of Ms. Busty who love only me anyway.

OhSnap

Reaction score

Would take Manziel if Orton retires before the draft. Otherwise, I'm not firmly in either camp.

I guess if your an eagles fan you need stuff like that to fill the empty space in the trophy case. I wonder if they still got some of them cans of chunky soup from the Mcnabb glory days?

Alexander

Reaction score
LOL... and where in your demented mind does that contradict anything I said?

The fact that there was nothing there that suggested in any way the Packers were taking Rodgers with the idea he was playing right away. Thompson even mentioned five years re-visiting the value.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
If they have a franchise QB grade on him then of course they should take him. Having said that, they graded Claiborne as the best Corner since Deion so it may or may not be a good idea to follow their franchise logic.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
If he falls to 16, I would ripe someone off in a trade and stock up on defensive talent.

Jerry wouldn't do that though.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I don't agree. This process used to be common place in the NFL. It went away when the salaries started to escalate so ridiculously. Now that salaries are caped and slotted, I would not be surprised to see this process come back in vogue. I'm not saying that it absolutely will but it's certainly more plausible now then it was a few years ago IMO.

I never saw the value in just throwing a QB in there to sink or swim. Seems dumb to me.

David Carr MIGHT have been a good QB if he had not been destroyed by 200+ sacks in 4 years. A sensible thing to do would have been frankly to pass on Carr and first build at least part of an O line before risking a First pick. The thing about Houston is that UNTIL carr left they had not really worked at building an O line. THey watched him get worked year in and year out and did virtually nothing.

Sort of reminds me of Jerruh watching Romo get worked while he dumspter dives for FA O linemen and drafts 'shiny' toys instead of top O linemen. I do give Red Ball credit for Tyron and Fredbeard- no other explanation for that happening. We know Jerruh himself will never change so there is no way those came from him.

Alexander

Reaction score
If he falls to 16, I would ripe someone off in a trade and stock up on defensive talent.

Jerry wouldn't do that though.

More like can't versus wouldn't. I can barely recall the last time Jerry Jones ripped anyone off in a trade.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that there was nothing there that suggested in any way the Packers were taking Rodgers with the idea he was playing right away. Thompson even mentioned five years re-visiting the value.

And he addressed how there were other things they wanted to do to help the team now but he felt this was in the long term best interest of the team.

If he would have listened to the needs geniuses they'd probably still be looking for a QB post-Favre. With one less ring.