Marcus Trufant

Henson7

Reaction score
I was watching the seahawks against vikings game from last season and I was very impressed with trufant's play against Moss. Moss scored a touchdown but trufant deflected 2 certain scores and overall just played him physically..alot better than Newman played Moss or Buress or walker. We picked Newman ahead of him in the draft..was this another case of a bad pick or was Newman generally considered the better cornerback.

5 Super Bowls

Reaction score
They were about even. Newman went ahead of Trufant because of his return skills. Seems we might want to try him out on punt returns now that we have some depth at corner.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Is this revisionist theory day?

Ellis or Moss?

What other QB would you have taken since 2003?

Now, Newman versus Trufant?

:confused:

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
5 Super Bowls said:
They were about even. Newman went ahead of Trufant because of his return skills. Seems we might want to try him out on punt returns now that we have some depth at corner.

I wouldn't say that it was just because of his return skills. He was just a more well-rounded corner than Trufant. Newman is a better defender than Trufant. Newman plays single coverage really well while Trufant struggles. Ken Hamlin is a complement to him just like Roy was to T-New. We'll see who is the better pick this year.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Newman and Trufant were about even I thought except for the fact that Newman was supposed to be an excellent return guy. However, we will never probably see that part of his game. It wasn't a bad pick. He had no help and we couldn't get to the quarterback. That will put any CB on his heals. Lets see what he can do with some help and hopefully some pressure on the QB. Plus, it is coming back that last year he was a little banged up. I still think he will be the better player over the long haul.

calico

Reaction score
untitled23vr.png

Shut up. Just shut up. You had me at "hello."

Best. sig. ever. I have to make a new sandwich now because I spit up my coke on my lunch from laughing so hard.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
dmq said:
Newman and Trufant were about even I thought except for the fact that Newman was supposed to be an excellent return guy. However, we will never probably see that part of his game. It wasn't a bad pick. He had no help and we couldn't get to the quarterback. That will put any CB on his heals. Lets see what he can do with some help and hopefully some pressure on the QB. Plus, it is coming back that last year he was a little banged up. I still think he will be the better player over the long haul.

My thoughts too. He should show us something this year if the front seven gets a push. Otherwise SSDD.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Is this revisionist theory day?

Ellis or Moss?

What other QB would you have taken since 2003?

Now, Newman versus Trufant?

:confused:

Topic don't care about I just want to thank Alexander for changing his SIG...Thank you

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I liked Trufant better then Newman. Alas, it's done now. I pull for Newman.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Trufant played better then Newman this year, but Newman played better then Trufant rookie season. Maybe this will be the year we will see which is really better? I like Newman more though hes much more athletic

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Howboutdemcowboys31 said:
Trufant played better then Newman this year, but Newman played better then Trufant rookie season. Maybe this will be the year we will see which is really better? I like Newman more though hes much more athletic

I don't know that I agree with that. Trufant had a pretty good Rookie year as well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
I wouldn't say that it was just because of his return skills. He was just a more well-rounded corner than Trufant. Newman is a better defender than Trufant. Newman plays single coverage really well while Trufant struggles. Ken Hamlin is a complement to him just like Roy was to T-New. We'll see who is the better pick this year.

Wow! I can honestly say that I don't believe any of this to be true. Newman had better over all speed but quicks were very close. Trufant was and is the superior tackler. He plays more physical on the corner. He was also smoother coming out. Over all, more polished.

playit12

Reaction score
Frankly if you are playing one on one coverage with Moss you have already lost. Neither Trufant, Newman, Bailey or C-Mac can cover Moss one on one. The only way to play him is with a big physical corner (Henry) bumping him off at the line and keeping your FS over the top.

It also helps to get your pass rush coming from the side he lines up on.

I'm more concerned how they play against guys that they should be gaurding one on one.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Wow! I can honestly say that I don't believe any of this to be true. Newman had better over all speed but quicks were very close. Trufant was and is the superior tackler. He plays more physical on the corner. He was also smoother coming out. Over all, more polished.

Is that right... being physical on a WR is a penalty now. If Trufant is more physical, he'll get hounded more often for illegal contact. He can't defend by himself. Newman has more finesse to him and he can get position on the ball better than Trufant. For a defender, being quiet is a good thing and Newman wasn't exposed very often.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
Is that right... being physical on a WR is a penalty now. If Trufant is more physical, he'll get hounded more often for illegal contact. He can't defend by himself. Newman has more finesse to him and he can get position on the ball better than Trufant. For a defender, being quiet is a good thing and Newman wasn't exposed very often.

BS, straight out. Being off the line is now, even more important then before. You can not allow a good WR to get off clean so that first contact within the 5 must be excellent. In any case, I'm talking about support at the corner against the run.

The difference in quickness between the two is insignificant. Both players posses excellent burst and quickness to the ball. However, Trufant does play with better technique, and so, at least early on in there careers, is usually in better position. Newman will gain technique as he goes along but Trufant's was easily better coming out. As for being exposed, Newman was exposed against bigger WRs. Trufant actually plays bigger WRs better, IMO.

Either way, it matters little. We drafted Newman and so, he is who I pull for but I do not share in the opinion that Newman was definatly better coming out of college. I think it's fair to say that he had more physical skills but the better CB, at that time, was Trufant IMO.

KDWilliams85

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
BS, straight out. Being off the line is now, even more important then before. You can not allow a good WR to get off clean so that first contact within the 5 must be excellent. In any case, I'm talking about support at the corner against the run.

That's exactly what makes it BS to begin with. When you're on the field, five yards isn't a lot. Five yards usually equates to about three strides. Furthermore, as a defender, you are not allowed to actively disrupt the pattern. You can't grip him in any manner because it will be defensive holding. All you can really do is yield and just step in his way.

Trufant can seemingly handle taller receivers better because he's a better tackler. But, if you look at his tackling stats, he has more assisted tackles than Newman. That's a bad thing. Newman doesn't have as many tackles as Trufant because Newman doesn't get tossed at a lot. Newman had only four assisted tackles. Out of his 68 tackles, 64 were solo. Out of Trufant's 96 tackles, 86 were solo. Ten assisted tackles to four assisted... which would you rather have?

When you get passed on, statistics will tend to get inflated because of either limited coverage skills or the receiver he's covering. If a DB gets exposed, the QB will exploit it.

I've mentioned it before. When you're a defensive back, being quiet is a good thing. If you're not being tested, then the QB doesn't want to throw at you. Newman has had that luxury for two years. Trufant hasn't had that luxury. Lots of tackles equates to lots of plays aimed at you. Lower tackle numbers equates to a low amount of plays aimed at you. That usually means that the QB wants nothing to do with you.

Newman has been the better player. Trufant may have more tackles and more passes defended but Newman has more INT's and less tackles, which means less plays thrown at him.

I'd rather not be thrown at then constantly under fire.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
We drafted Newman and so, he is who I pull for but I do not share in the opinion that Newman was definatly better coming out of college. I think it's fair to say that he had more physical skills but the better CB, at that time, was Trufant IMO.

Your opinion would be a minority opinion among those "in the know", as it were. Notwithstanding what others in this thread have suggested, Newman was widely considered to be the better CB coming out. They were not considered "about even". Indeed, my recollection is that, in a poll of NFL front-office personnal, something like 10 of the 30 teams had Newman rated the #1 player (not CB, but player) in his draft class. Trufant was considered a good prospect, but was clearly the second best CB on most experts' boards.

Thus, based on the available information at the time, Newman was the right pick (and I fully expect him to vindicate his selection in coming years).

playit12

Reaction score
KDWilliams85 said:
That's exactly what makes it BS to begin with. When you're on the field, five yards isn't a lot. Five yards usually equates to about three strides. Furthermore, as a defender, you are not allowed to actively disrupt the pattern. You can't grip him in any manner because it will be defensive holding. All you can really do is yield and just step in his way.

Players can and will smash you right off the line of scrimage. One of the first things recivers learn is how to use their hands to defend against the bump. Tell Santana Moss that 5 yards isns't much on the field. When it takes him 4 seconds to cover the distance I'm sure he'd disagree.

You are pretty much free to jam inside 5 yards unless the ball is thrown to the reciever while you are jamming him.

Also that is the only way to defend against timing routes.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Henson7 said:
I was watching the seahawks against vikings game from last season and I was very impressed with trufant's play against Moss. Moss scored a touchdown but trufant deflected 2 certain scores and overall just played him physically..alot better than Newman played Moss or Buress or walker. We picked Newman ahead of him in the draft..was this another case of a bad pick or was Newman generally considered the better cornerback.

The two are pretty even so far. I think most people called it that way at the time of the draft. In fact some hoped that Dallas could some how trade down to gain a pick and get Trufant. There was no guarantee that it was possible for Dallas to do that at the time. Neither has played far better than the other.

Newman could have played better, but I just don't see where he played as poorly as some on the board make it out to be. He gave up two TDs covering Moss 1-on-1, but any DB would have trouble stopping Moss from 1 yard out on both scores. Moss finished with 4 catches for 27 yards in that game. He had 4 catches for 104 yards and 1 TD against Seattle.

Burris had 3 catches for 48 yards and 1 TD. That is not a big game. One catch was on a perfect throw for 32 yards. I think the TD came when Big Ben had to scramble a little to his right, but othewise had all day to throw.( He should have been sacked). Newman was looking back at the QB and lost track of Plaxico. Plaxico doesn't scare me for the Giants, Tiki does.

Walker had a big game with 8 receptions for 104 yards and 1 TD. One catch was early in the game against Newman for 44 yards. I don't know how many others or if the TD came against Newman.

Like I said, Newman can and should play better, but no way should he be looked at as a bust and that is what may be implied if you ask if Dallas made a mistake in drafting him over Trufant. There were three players I felt Dallas should grab that draft, Leftwich, Newman and Suggs. I knew they wouldn't go QB, so that left Newman and Suggs. I would have been happy with either, but I felt corners are more difficult to come by.