Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
My only question is why Trufant deserves three pages of posts? :eek:

Silverstar

Reaction score
Fletch said:
My only question is why Trufant deserves three pages of posts? :eek:

He doesn't, but since Newman was our highest draft pick since Russell Maryland in 1991, I guess he'll always be a target for debate like Ellis and Moss etc.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Skinsboy26 said:
You guys should have drafted trufant because newman sucks.

Newman only has four picks vs. the Deadskins. :rolleyes:

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
AtlCB said:
Newman only has four picks vs. the Deadskins. :rolleyes:
No, no, no AtlCB. Hes just mad that newman is undefeated against the foreskins, like almost every other player on the team. What a joke of a team, they call the shotgun use an offensive innovation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Silverstar said:
First, can't you come up with your own lines to make your point?

Second, the FACT is your simply wrong because he did say Trufant was better than Newman. Here's the proof from his earlier posts....

Clearly, ABQ thinks Trufant is the better CB now and was the better CB back in college as well.

Third, I wanted to point out that the article clearly rates Newman over Trufant. This was the fact, I was hoping would "sink in" to EVERYBODY who read it and not just you or ABQ.

This is not correct. I watched both players in college. I did think, at the time, that Trufant was technically more accomplished then was Newman. Newman had the better Physical abilities but I thought that he was aided by the fact that he played in Bill Snyder's defense. Snyder is a deciple of Buddy Ryan and, IMO, one of the best pressure defense coaches in the country. The DC for Kansas State, Bob Elliot is also there DB coach so, again, I think this helped Newman. Snyder's team is built around pressuring the QB and they do that well. Newman, while at K-State, was helped by the fact that he didn't have to cover long. Trufant, on the other hand, played more of a traditional CB and did not have the blitz off the bus pressure defense employed at KState. In watching both players, I felt then, as I do now, that at the time of the draft, Trufant was a more finished product.

If you fast forward this into there current situations, I think that the tables are a bit turned. I think that Trufant has had the advantage of playing with better defensive personel in Seattle, where as, Newman has played with very little pass rush help and no FS in Dallas.

It's shown over the last few years. I think that Newman will be a fine player for us. I think that if our pass rush comes along, he's going to have a great chance to accomplish even more things. However, right this minute, I think he's got a confidence problem. I think he played with some injuries last year and I think he's got to get over those things in the coming year. Based on the first two years, I would say that Trufant has had the better situation. I would also say that there's still a lot of football left to be played before you say that one is better then the other. I don't think it's fair to say that Trufant is better then Newman just as I don't think it's fair to say that Newman is better then Trufant. Trufant has played every bit as well as Newman to this point, IMO. I would say this. Trufant has been the better pick, thus far. The fact that he was taken at 11, as opposed to 5th, would seem to justify that.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Skinsboy26 said:

Better yet, we should have traded our 5th overall pick, as well as our #1 pick in the 2004 draft to Cinci in order to move up and get Trufant, even though it was painfully obvious that none of the teams ahead of us would be drafting him. Then we could have turned around and traded Trufant and a 2nd rounder to Denver for a RB that didn't quite fit with our offensive scheme. The more I think on it, the more I realize we could learn a lot from Little Danny and his sidekick Vinny on how to team-build.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Skinsboy26 said:
We are blinded by the sheer depth, scope, and overall brilliance of your analysis...

PaEagleHater

Reaction score
Just think if Jammer was there we may of taken him ahead of Roy Williams. We would really be what iffing if that would of happened.