Marinelli accountability

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The entire front seven is just a 3 tech away IMO. Collins and Crawford are league-average players at that spot, so we're not screwed by any means, but this system thrives on front-four pressure and the 3T is the linchpin.

I don't like Trystan Hill, but he undoubtedly has the talent to become That Dude. Fingers crossed he lives up to his potential.

nobody

Reaction score
So true.

You got to love them though. Give them even a little talent and it becomes the OMGTEHBESTINZTALEAGUE!

The DL has some serious question marks and probably undermanned at DT.

They aren't the best talent, but they should be good enough for a decent run.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Marinelli has more talent and depth along the DL than he has ever had since becoming the Cowboys DC. The way I see it, the DL is his baby, and if it under performs its all on Marinelli.

If the DL isn’t performing near a top 5 level by the eyeball test (stats can lie) he really needs to be put out to pasture!!!

Should have been fired after the Rams game.

He probably couldn't believe he still had a job after that train wreck. Especially with Richard next in line for the job.

How many playoff games can a DC wreck before he gets fired?!?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Marinelli has more talent and depth along the DL than he has ever had since becoming the Cowboys DC. The way I see it, the DL is his baby, and if it under performs its all on Marinelli.

If the DL isn’t performing near a top 5 level by the eyeball test (stats can lie) he really needs to be put out to pasture!!!
When has an Rod led DL ever under performed? Heck since he has been in Dallas they have over performed.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

He will retire eventually.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I know this is your opinion. I won't argue the takeaway numbers, because they've legitimately been bad. Beyond that, I believe most of the evidence would suggest that the defense has been improving gradually over the time Marinelli's been here and as we've added talent. There was a time when neglecting the defense in both the draft and FA actually killed us, yes. But that was a while ago now.

0-16 as a HC on a different team isn't really all that relevant to his performance with the DL, which is what this thread is about. There's very little serious doubt about Marinelli's qualifications as a DL position coach. If that's the argument you're making, you wanna check your head. He's a top DL coach.
You obviously glanced over the poor sack% this team has year in and year out which is on the d line. 0-16 coach.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it hilarious that in the middle of the team’s most profound resurgence in recent history defensively, the defensive coordinator’s job has incessantly been called into question.

What is he in charge of again?

Where is this "resurgence" when it matters most? Where was it when the other team was rushing for 273 yards? Or when Aaron Rodgers marched right down the field?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lets see, what coach's unit is the one responsible for the team's last two playoff exits?

If you said Marinelli? You're correct.

And who's group specifically did Rams players state that they ""knew what they were doing 90% of the time?"

Marinelli again, two for two.

But, much like Linehan after his failure in 2017, this organization has decided to double down on this coach too, by giving him his pet cat in this draft, and several other investments in his defensive line. By comparison, Richard got scraps and leftovers for the back seven he coaches. Heck, he even got skipped in line so Kellen Moore could get his own gadget guy.

Time waits for no one and the game passes everyone by eventually, Marinelli need only ask his boss Monte Kiffin. If his 'Rushmen' don't do a far better job more consistently, he needs to go.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

And if it performs at a high level then what? He does have more talent this year and it should produce even better than last year where Dallas was raked 5th in run defense

HanD

Reaction score
By comparison, Richard got scraps and leftovers for the back seven he coaches.

he has a 1st rounder and 2 second rounders at lb. a 1st rounder at cb and a 2nd rounder at the other cb slot. yes safety positions are sorely ignored but the back 7 hasn't been neglected and wouldn't be considered scraps to me. or are you specifically talking about only this past draft?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
And if it performs at a high level then what? He does have more talent this year and it should produce even better than last year where Dallas was raked 5th in run defense
Maybe. But if you are really a good run defense how does a team run for 273 in the biggest game of the season. Maybe we just played a bunch of teams that suck at running the football.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he has a 1st rounder and 2 second rounders at lb. a 1st rounder at cb and a 2nd rounder at the other cb slot. yes safety positions are sorely ignored but the back 7 hasn't been neglected and wouldn't be considered scraps to me. or are you specifically talking about only this past draft?

Specific to the last draft.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
You obviously glanced over the poor sack% this team has year in and year out which is on the d line. 0-16 coach.
You're that dude who tells 30% of the story, says "tell me I'm lying, all I speak is facts" and leaves out the other 70%. It'd be like saying Hitler was an awesome leader because he led Germany to it's most powerful 12 years in history - making that country feared and respected by the world while building a military that was one of the world's best.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Maybe. But if you are really a good run defense how does a team run for 273 in the biggest game of the season. Maybe we just played a bunch of teams that suck at running the football.

They played poorly I make no excuses. Dallas played the top rushing team in the league in the seahawks and managed to stop them, also played NO who was a top rushing team last year and stopped them. I have no issue putting blame on anyone I also have no problem giving credit. Fact Dallas was 5th best run stopping team. Defense often played big through out the season as offense struggled. Unlike some around here I can give credit and blame

basel90

Reaction score
Richard did that in the Rams game according to reports on here. I didn't like those results at all
Exactly , the defense failed against the rams with some decent talent .
For comparison , just look what the Patriots defense did to the rams with comparable talent . They allowe the rams 3 points only !!
So basically we know Marineli is not a top notch defensive coordinator. He is probably ranked 16 -20th among DCs .
Same as jason Garrett ..