Marinelli/Eberflus Defense too predictable

MCMetal69

Reaction score
I've been saying this for years : We need a true 1T 330 pound YOUNG GUY with get-off................

Majic

Reaction score
So you would rather a mediocre DC pick the players to play in his mediocre defense?

Yeah, count me out on that. Fire Nolan, bring in a new DC and let him, the scouts, McClay give Jerry names to pick on defense.

Yes, It's mediocre because of what he inherited.

Could he have done things better? Of course he could, but when you get a respected NFL voice like Michael Lombardi saying that Matt Eberflus(who people have been raving about all season) needs to change the way he is setting up his DEF in Indianapolis if he wants long-term success then that tells me the gap between success and failure is not that great and you obviously need both the players and the scheme for it to work.

Eberflus and the Colts may have the players, but does their scheme need to be tweaked for long-term success?

Nolan does not have the players and a scheme that cannot work to it's potential without them-I feel it is only right he is given that chance.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can put whatever defense you want in there. It still boils down to personnel. Our DTs are atrocious. We need 3 new DTs next year. ......... and it would be great if 2 of them were even average NFL DTs.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He has coached different scheme. He coached a Cover 2 at K State before coming here under Ryan. I wouldn't classify him as a 3-4, 4-3 guy one way or the other

I wouldn't classify him as a Ryan guy, to be honest. He has his own defensive scheme.

I am unsure of his "Cover 2 at K State" experience. I know that he coached at Toledo and at Missouri. I mean, if we want to go back to where his initial principles were influenced, it's probably Nick Saban, who he has ties to early on.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn't classify him as a Ryan guy, to be honest. He has his own defensive scheme.

I am unsure of his "Cover 2 at K State" experience. I know that he coached at Toledo and at Missouri. I mean, if we want to go back to where his initial principles were influenced, it's probably Nick Saban, who he has ties to early on.
Meant Missouri not K State. He ran a Cover at Missouri

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, It's mediocre because of what he inherited.

Could he have done things better? Of course he could, but when you get a respected NFL voice like Michael Lombardi saying that Matt Eberflus(who people have been raving about all season) needs to change the way he is setting up his DEF in Indianapolis if he wants long-term success then that tells me the gap between success and failure is not that great and you obviously need both the players and the scheme for it to work.

Eberflus and the Colts may have the players, but does their scheme need to be tweaked for long-term success?

Nolan does not have the players and a scheme that cannot work to it's potential without them-I feel it is only right he is given that chance.

It's mediocre because, in part, Nolan is mediocre himself. You've convinced yourself that he's a really good DC being held back by talent issues but his history as a DC shows you that's an unwise bet to make. He also has no history of successfully building a great D. His best Ds in Baltimore? Built by Marvin Lewis.

Plus, I am not sure criticizing Eberflus makes sense. His defense is 8th in yards allow, 8th in DVOA and 10th in point allowed. It's hardly a bad or mediocre defense.

Majic

Reaction score
It's mediocre because, in part, Nolan is mediocre himself. You've convinced yourself that he's a really good DC being held back by talent issues but his history as a DC shows you that's an unwise bet to make. He also has no history of successfully building a great D. His best Ds in Baltimore? Built by Marvin Lewis.

Plus, I am not sure criticizing Eberflus makes sense. His defense is 8th in yards allow, 8th in DVOA and 10th in point allowed. It's hardly a bad or mediocre defense.

Someone a lot more qualified than myself is criticising Eberflus and pointing out further problems down the line when you are one dimensional on DEF.

Kris Richard was hailed as the next great DEF coach and that didn't come to much. It's not always that easy to strike gold when hiring but in my opinion one year of Nolan is not enough time to judge him with all the other factors.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michael Lombardi on his podcast has been making the point all season that the Rod Marinelli DEF is not good enough in the NFL anymore. He makes the point that Matt Eberflus DEF is way to predictable (based on Marinelli's) and has been saying this all season and it has been found out. He credits Sean McVay in replacing Wade Phillips with a hybrid DEF that is good at 3 phases and not predictable (33% Zone 33% man, 33% Zone dogs).

Don't be great at just one thing, it will be found out.

Describes Eberflus as a 'one pitch fast ball scheme'

We need a hybrid scheme in Dallas that is further developed in the off season.

:huh:

Aren't the Colts a top 10 defense?

Aren't the Colts 10-5 and likely to win their division?

Aren't the Colts 3rd in defensive turnovers?

Aren't the Colts 2nd in Rushing Yards per Attempt allowed?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What happened this year is simple.....Nolans scheme and the personnel on this team are not compatible.

Considering the injuries, there is not scheme that would have been compatible with this group of players...

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Michael Lombardi on his podcast has been making the point all season that the Rod Marinelli DEF is not good enough in the NFL anymore. He makes the point that Matt Eberflus DEF is way to predictable (based on Marinelli's) and has been saying this all season and it has been found out. He credits Sean McVay in replacing Wade Phillips with a hybrid DEF that is good at 3 phases and not predictable (33% Zone 33% man, 33% Zone dogs).

You have a Hybrid scheme and you have the worst defense in Cowboys history and one of the worst NFL history.

Hybrid defense is like a Hybrid car....it sounds fancy, looks fancy, but know one in their right minds wants one..

Jarntt

Reaction score
It's possible to not be predictable and also not have a defense that your players are unable to understand and screw up their assignments on almost every single play. Also, I have no desire to keep any coach that watches his team get run all over week after week and still play two LBs on run downs. It's actually hard to grasp that he does this no matter how many times I see him do it. Goodbye Nolan. Good luck at your next stop.

Sydla

Reaction score
Someone a lot more qualified than myself is criticising Eberflus and pointing out further problems down the line when you are one dimensional on DEF.

Kris Richard was hailed as the next great DEF coach and that didn't come to much. It's not always that easy to strike gold when hiring but in my opinion one year of Nolan is not enough time to judge him with all the other factors.

Lombardi isn't exactly without fault. Lombardi once claimed Doug Pederson was essentially a fraud and had to very publicly apologize when Pederson won a SB. So he's hardly without mistakes.

Facts are facts. The Colts D is pretty good.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He ran a 4-3 cover 2 at Missouri

OK. I guess I don't understand where you are going here. I'm guessing it's the "34 guy" statement? Well, he was a 34 guy when Marinelli got here. But to your point, I agree, he has run different schemes, based on personnel. But in Indy, he doesn't run a Marinelli Defense. He doesn't use undersized DTs an try to create or funnel running attacks through penetration. He uses bigger bodies to protect his LBs and allows them to create and tackle. It's basically the exact opposite of what Marinelli does with his scheme. That was really the point I was trying to get at. Lombardi, in my opinion, doesn't know what he is talking about. He is trying to link the two by saying Eberflus is from the Marinelli tree, which really isn't true. He does his own thing.

Majic

Reaction score
Lombardi isn't exactly without fault. Lombardi once claimed Doug Pederson was essentially a fraud and had to very publicly apologize when Pederson won a SB. So he's hardly without mistakes.

Facts are facts. The Colts D is pretty good.

He's been proven right on Pederson, he relied heavily on Frank Reich and has not been the same since he left. I wouldn't use the word fraud though-much too harsh.

I agree the Colts DEF is good but it's not great and that is the point he is making that it will hold them back in their pursuit of a Superbowl. Diving into the numbers after Week1 when the Jags put 27 on them they settled down and only conceded 29 points in the next 3 to the Vikings, Jets and Bears.

The next 4 games saw the Browns, Bengals, Lions and Ravens put up 104 points an average of 26 points per game, not great but also not terrible. After they held the Titans to 17 in Week 10, they have conceded 171 points to the Packers, Titans, Texans twice, Raiders and Steelers at an average of 28.5 points per game.

The point he was making was something has to change on DEF if they are going to be a great team.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
OK. I guess I don't understand where you are going here. I'm guessing it's the "34 guy" statement? Well, he was a 34 guy when Marinelli got here. But to your point, I agree, he has run different schemes, based on personnel. But in Indy, he doesn't run a Marinelli Defense. He doesn't use undersized DTs an try to create or funnel running attacks through penetration. He uses bigger bodies to protect his LBs and allows them to create and tackle. It's basically the exact opposite of what Marinelli does with his scheme. That was really the point I was trying to get at. Lombardi, in my opinion, doesn't know what he is talking about. He is trying to link the two by saying Eberflus is from the Marinelli tree, which really isn't true. He does his own thing.
My point was crystal clear, and stated in the first sentence. Eberflus has coached different schemes.

Any unintended way you wanted to read that is entirely on you

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My point was crystal clear, and stated in the first sentence. Eberflus has coached different schemes.

Any unintended way you wanted to read that is entirely on you

Crystal clear to who? I never asked about what or who Eberflus was. So no, that's entirely on you. I didn't ask so where are you going with this and to what end?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

I'd like to eventually go multiple but Lombardi is a multiple time failed exec for a reason.
The Rams aren't good on defense "because" they are multiple.
They are good because they have the games best defensive player and best CB.
Rams had some really good defenses under Wade too until talent fell off so they traded for Ramsey.
Not to say you should only call one thing and wade certainly will call what his guys do best over and over on you.

BUT...
Indy is a top 10 defense. They are giving up just over 23 PPG and are a 10-5 football team that will finish 11-5.
The team they lost to last week on the road was the Pittsburgh Steelers.
A team that has been a 3-4 team for like 30 years straight.

I get liking multiple scheme defenses but you can absolutely be league average with one scheme if you get good at it and add players who can play it.
Multiple and trickery is great but you gotta have guys that can then fill multiple roles.
Dallas tried going 2 gap and was hilariously bad. Dontari Poe never moved at all and by the time the LBs read the play an OL had them walled off.

SF made the SB last year in a simple 4-3 based scheme.

In fact there are only 7 schemes considered multiple at this time and WE are one of them, ROFL.
https://www.idpguru.com/2020/06/2020-defensive-coordinators-and-schemes.html