Video: Marinelli Explains Hill

ESisback

Reaction score
Uh, no, he's been tormenting us much longer than that.

I am curious however.......there does seem to be a few in here that seem to like Garrett so my question is what has he actually done to warrant being held in such high esteem?

What I've seen is:
his offense was too predictable and simplistic, so he was stripped of those duties.

his inability to successfully make in-game or halftime adjustments, he tends to eliminate what was working and stick with what wasn't working.

his inability to know when and when not to go for it on 4th down.....when he blew the most obvious one by not going for after the fanbase and media blew up over it, Jerry took a bite out of his ***....he went for it everytime after that showing he simply does not know when and when not to go for it.

All this after being on the 90's super bowl team...and due to his dad's NFL involvment he has been around some of the best players and coaching literally his entire life and at times he acts like it's the first time he's laid eyes on a football field.

Yo Ronster, I agree with most of the snafus you described, and I wouldn’t complain if they DID make a change. I’m kinda intrigued by the possibilities. But to be fair, a coach that has a team several games over .500 while having Jerry and a hostile media to deal with isn’t something I think someone like say, Barry Switzer or Dave Campo could accomplish.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Jimmy could still coach he just doesn't want to deal with the grind. He's belichek's mentor and belichek is with him every year in the offseason fishing and talking football.
Jimmy won because he always accumulated the most talent. he did it at the U and with Dallas pre-salary cap. The fact that Barry Switzer of all people won a super bowl with a roster built by Jimmy tells me that his teams were simply more talented than everybody else. Once he couldn't stockpile talent and had to stay under the cap he wasn't that effective.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Change is inevitable. That's what I was getting at. Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is just stupid.

They put in the salary cap to stop Jerry Jones and we haven't won a SuperBowl since. I think we should try getting big and physical on defense. We haven't had a coach go that route since Parcells left.

Actually, Jerry was the driving force behind implementing the salary cap.

The NFL has put in many rules to deter the Cowboys, but the cap is not one of them.

Erik Williams - Hands to the Face

Roy Williams - Horse Collar Tackle

Mike Irvin - How they call offensive PI.

Emmitt - Players taking off their helmet.

Jerry - How players are paid during an uncapped year due to the CBA lockout/strike.

Charles Haley - Head Slap

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Teams want taller, long armed, offensive linemen these days so they can use use those long arms to control defensive linemen. So shouldn't the same be said for defensive linemen. Longer arms so the can control the offensive linemen and come off of blocks quicker.

Remember Jason Hatcher and his long arms. Remember the seed smoking #97 and his long arms. If hill works out then great. But I'm tired of these short armed defensive tackles that have to jump around the offensive linemen, because that creates holes that could be exploited.
Hatcher was a giant killer. But I like this pic Thurston Hill

kskboys

Reaction score
Teams want taller, long armed, offensive linemen these days so they can use use those long arms to control defensive linemen. So shouldn't the same be said for defensive linemen. Longer arms so the can control the offensive linemen and come off of blocks quicker.

Remember Jason Hatcher and his long arms. Remember the seed smoking #97 and his long arms. If hill works out then great. But I'm tired of these short armed defensive tackles that have to jump around the offensive linemen, because that creates holes that could be exploited.
Aaron Donald has short arms.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Hill is boom or bust. 5 years from now it will be either 'right pick,' or 'what were they thinking?'

Which is unlike most other draft picks, where you can say it was the most logical pick at the time. Maybe this does make more sense than people are giving it credit for... but if it fails, fans will pile on.

Last edited:

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Logic says that he was sitting at a round table with other owners trying to find a way to stop big spending owners like him and Snyder. I just going off of what several commentators said during that time. I was not sitting in on those meetings. But according to their reports it was put in to stop Jerry and Snyder from buying Superbowls.
The cap was put in in 1994. Snyder didn't by the skins until 1999. It had nothing to do with stopping Snyder from buying a super bowl.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Actually, Jerry was the driving force behind implementing the salary cap.

The NFL has put in many rules to deter the Cowboys, but the cap is not one of them.

Erik Williams - Hands to the Face

Roy Williams - Horse Collar Tackle

Mike Irvin - How they call offensive PI.

Emmitt - Players taking off their helmet.

Jerry - How players are paid during an uncapped year due to the CBA lockout/strike.

Charles Haley - Head Slap

Wrong. The head slap was banned in the late 70s because Deacon Jones was giving people CTE with it.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Interesting to hear the coach talk about under tackle vs. 3T.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Jimmy won because he always accumulated the most talent. he did it at the U and with Dallas pre-salary cap. The fact that Barry Switzer of all people won a super bowl with a roster built by Jimmy tells me that his teams were simply more talented than everybody else. Once he couldn't stockpile talent and had to stay under the cap he wasn't that effective.
Barry switzer was a garbage coach when he came to dallas.

Manster68

Reaction score
I know I'm dreaming when I say this, but I want Hill to be 2019 and beyond version of the real Manster Randy White. I'll take half of what the real Manster was.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Barry switzer was a garbage coach when he came to dallas.
Exactly my point. A guy like him has a super bowl win thanks to a supremely talented roster that had its foundation laid before the salary cap really took over. Seems to validate Jerry's stance that any of 100 coaches could have won with that team.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
2014, Dallas might have had the least-talented defensive roster in the league. Yet they were 14th in D and went 12-4.
Since 2014, with Marinelli as DC, the Cowboys have won 60% of their games (that's for the idiotic 0-16 crowd).
Yes, the D crapped the bed against the Rams. That's a more than fair criticism. But fairness cuts both ways. Give the man the credit he's earned.
(I realize that while saying all this, most of the resident complainers are more interested in being drama queens than using actual logic)

cern

Reaction score
other than Lawrence, who has rod coached that has gone on to achieve nfl stardom? imo, he's an above average position coach, and a poor coordinator. I don't like the "shared dc" moniker. Kris Richard has earned the job and should be thusly designated.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Basically we are once again putting our faith in Marinelli to get the best out of a prospect ,if Hill doesnt do well then its curtains for Rod and even Richard for endorsing him to the FO.
It shouldn't be. He was a late 2nd round pick. If he fails....that should not have ANYTHING to do with their careers.