Video: Marinelli Explains Hill

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You must be arguing with someone on my block list, so I'll assume you're right and they're wrong but I was going to question who you were refering to with "idiotic takes", because my
version of this thread is pretty good and I hadn't seen a single reference to Richard.

Although to be fair, unless my memory fails, you aren't exactly a fan of Richard, and certainly not a fan of people that want him to take Garrett's job.

I actually quite like Richard. I just also like pointing out how foolish it is to blame Marinelli for absolutely everything that goes wrong on defense and to give Richard credit for everything that goes right. When the reality is, we have a good defense that's well coached, and both guys are really good coaches for their perspective areas of specialization.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I don't believe the great Tom Landry would have liked nor approved of Marinelli's smaller/short-armed "under Tackles". Landry's DTs were tall, big, strong and quick. They used their size, strength, quickness and speed to dominate the line of scrimmage. I don't see Marinelli's shorter/smaller DTs doing that.
Landy's been gone for 30 years and has been dead for 19. I loved Landry as much as the next guy, but who cares if he would have liked or approved of what the Cowboys are doing now? He was way past being due for a firing in 1989. The game has evolved.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
More like, do you want a 6'4", 257lb guy at your DT positions this day and age?
No matter the skill level.
White was playing against relatively small OL as well.

HOF Centers that were his contemporaries:
Mike Webster - 6'2" 255 lbs
Dwight Stephenson - 6'2" 255 lbs
Jim Langer - 6'2" 250 lbs

HOF Guards that were his contemporaries:
Gene Upshaw - 6'5" 255 lbs
John Hannah - 6'2" 265 lbs
Larry Little - 6'1" 265 lbs

You could have 250 lb DT's 40 years ago. Throwing Randy White's name into this discussion is pointless.

ESisback

Reaction score
Well maybe if his units achieved a high level and won championships, none of these discussions would be disappointing to you.

Can we agree that Marinelli is polarizing? Half says he sucks, the other says he’s good. The truth is “in the middle”, although I lean toward the latter. A lack of Lombardis validates the Eeyores.

ESisback

Reaction score
Landy's been gone for 30 years and has been dead for 19. I loved Landry as much as the next guy, but who cares if he would have liked or approved of what the Cowboys are doing now? He was way past being due for a firing in 1989. The game has evolved.

Abe Lincoln was the COOLEST!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Can we agree that Marinelli is polarizing? Half says he sucks, the other says he’s good. The truth is “in the middle”, although I lean toward the latter. A lack of Lombardis validates the Eeyores.
The problem is that those who think he sucks will point to one game or specific moment and then talk about how late-round picks and UDFAs didn't work out.

Nobody has mentioned DeMarcus Lawrence in this thread lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score
More like, do you want a 6'4", 257lb guy at your DT positions this day and age?
No matter the skill level.
dude that inch and giving up 50lbs is better because of an inch, this dude is a hole plugger with rush abilities.. he no short squatty dude the narrative used for short and squatty then bring in a HOF player from the 70/80s is ridiculous over an inch, yo an inch..ho about find Randys arm length etc I bet they dont have it because they didnt micro manage those stats back then..now we use all these odd things, it comes down to this , can he play.. lets see..until then **** about hom being some failed experiment love child of our DC..jeez can he get on the field.. LVE supposedly was the next Bobby carpenter tools like some this board some how know a whole lot more then the REAL players in the NFL ie coaches and scouts..they were worng about LVE so far , Jaylon smith, and many others..its insane give it time before its a failure bust

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The problem is that those who think he sucks will point to one game or specific moment and then talk about how late-round picks and UDFAs didn't work out.

Nobody has mentioned DeMarcus Lawrence in this thread lol.
The man lead a team to 0-16. And he hasn't done anything that 100 coaches could't accomplish. Actually he's only 1 of 2 to go 0-16.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
dude that inch and giving up 50lbs is better because of an inch, this dude is a hole plugger with rush abilities.. he no short squatty dude the narrative used for short and squatty then bring in a HOF player from the 70/80s is ridiculous over an inch, yo an inch..ho about find Randys arm length etc I bet they dont have it because they didnt micro manage those stats back then..now we use all these odd things, it comes down to this , can he play.. lets see..until then **** about hom being some failed experiment love child of our DC..jeez can he get on the field.. LVE supposedly was the next Bobby carpenter tools like some this board some how know a whole lot more then the REAL players in the NFL ie coaches and scouts..they were worng about LVE so far , Jaylon smith, and many others..its insane give it time before its a failure bust
Uh... so... you'd put Randy White on the field as a DT today? Not say... maybe another position?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't believe the great Tom Landry would have liked nor approved of Marinelli's smaller/short-armed "under Tackles". Landry's DTs were tall, big, strong and quick. They used their size, strength, quickness and speed to dominate the line of scrimmage. I don't see Marinelli's shorter/smaller DTs doing that.

You can't compare players size-wise between that era and now.

Randy White was 6-4, 257.

In 2019 a 280 pound DT is considered small.l
Always an exception, hopefully Hill is one of them.

Hill does not have short arms.

Hill: 33-3/8"

For all DL at the 2019 combine, he was right in the middle in regards to arm length (.i.e. about as many had shorter arms as those that had longer arms).

I don't have that data divided into DT vs DE but by weight:
Over 300: Only 1 player 34" or more.

Over 285: Only 2 players 34" or more.

The range was 30-3/4" to 36". Only 2 players were over 35" and neither was a DT.

Most interior OL have shorter arms that most OTs; therefore, arm length is a bigger issue for DEs than DTs.

Also there is some trade-off in overall length (height and arm length).

Hill is 6-3 which is near the optimum height for DTs. Scouts worry about 6-0 DTs getting lost (engulfed) in the mix and 6-5+ DTs consistently playing with leverage.

The other DT that I liked in the late 2nd to 3rd was Khalen Saunders who is extremely quick at 324 pounds but I was concerned with his overall lack of length at 6-0, with 32-1/4" arms.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I was for LVE. Try again. Those who don't know or get proven wrong always have the tendency to bunch everyone with another player that many actually wanted.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Yeah, that ship left port about 3 years ago.
Uh, no, he's been tormenting us much longer than that.

I am curious however.......there does seem to be a few in here that seem to like Garrett so my question is what has he actually done to warrant being held in such high esteem?

What I've seen is:
his offense was too predictable and simplistic, so he was stripped of those duties.

his inability to successfully make in-game or halftime adjustments, he tends to eliminate what was working and stick with what wasn't working.

his inability to know when and when not to go for it on 4th down.....when he blew the most obvious one by not going for after the fanbase and media blew up over it, Jerry took a bite out of his ***....he went for it everytime after that showing he simply does not know when and when not to go for it.

All this after being on the 90's super bowl team...and due to his dad's NFL involvment he has been around some of the best players and coaching literally his entire life and at times he acts like it's the first time he's laid eyes on a football field.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Uh... so... you'd put Randy White on the field as a DT today? Not say... maybe another position?
W TF are you talking about? If we didnt know who RW was hed have to earn it like anyone else, remember he was a LB first and converted to DL..he most likely a LB today but whats the point, this has nothing to do with RW we are just discussing size and using RW one inch advantage vs his 50lb disadvantage, is just dumb..it not the right debate..

Is Aron Donald a small spark lug type, guess he sucks hate to have that short dude..:) whats his arm length? hmm 6'1 285 32 5/8 arms 9 7/8 hands get that short phucker off the field..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I was for LVE. Try again. Those who don't know or get proven wrong always have the tendency to bunch everyone with another player that many actually wanted.
NBUT POINT a lot said he was going to bust worst pick ever.. same as this but this is 2nd rounder..