Twitter: Marinelli: Trysten Hill is "regressing"

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In my 20+ years of Military service, 2-3 years as an instructor, (ironically relevant in terms of speaking about Marinelli), if the back-to-back top prospects you’ve pushed to acquire are found to be “not hacking it” shortly after, it’s an absolute indictment on either your recruitment process or your ability to effectively lead/train (which requires constant modernization).

IMO, Rod is a glorified D-line coach that peaked in the early 2000’s and has a hard time relating to most modern D-Linesman

Zordon

Reaction score
3:52 mark, who do you guys see daydreaming on the bench during Amari's game sealing touchdown. How do you show zero emotion in that moment? :facepalm:

Same thing during Jourdan Lewis' touchdown....he's in the background just staring into the abyss.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I told y'all so.

... once again.

:facepalm:
I was using the "b" word after the first preseason game and people jumped all over me for that. Someone even made a thread "Hill is Not a Bust." So I left it along to give the masses time to catch up. And slowly but for surely people are starting to see what others have saw for awhile. Hill is a bust.

I was saying it, not to piss people off, but to let them know not to expect too much from Hill. Top heavy and short legs. I've seen it before.

slick325

Reaction score
In my 20+ years of Military service, 2-3 years as an instructor, (ironically relevant in terms of speaking about Marinelli), if the back-to-back top prospects you’ve pushed to acquire are found to be “not hacking it” shortly after, it’s an absolute indictment on either your recruitment process or your ability to effectively lead/train (which requires constant modernization).

IMO, Rod is a glorified D-line coach that peaked in the early 2000’s and has a hard time relating to most modern D-Linesman

Well put and possibly very true. Coaches need to be adaptable, malleable and also relatable. Constant modernization is a must to continue to build your ability to lead/train effectively.

Great post @RJ_McReady.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Unless we have injuries at DT, I don't believe he is anything but a healthy scratch the rest of the season.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Marinelli is one of the old school types that have that military-type demeaner. Evidently, Trysten doesn't respond well to that approach, since he's not too receptive to authority figures to begin with. The Cowboys, for whatever reason, don't seem adept as judges of character until it's too late once they've already been welcomed onto the team. Now, they're stuck with the same loser that Marinelli originally lobbied for -- just a sad situation.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
They're not even doing a good job of that. Didn't they learn from Taco about letting every little detail leak to the media and destroying his trade value?
your right, and here they are doing it with this guy! The circus jones family they only know how to promote the show, both good and bad unfortunately.
It is amazing how dumb they can be.
I dont think he is regressing, he was just a poor draft pick, and evidently does not like it here. Taco plays better in miami, that says he didnt like it here.
The last year beasely was here he looked miserable, and now is very happy in buffalo, what does that say to you guys?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Soooo..... Now we had Taco and now Hill regressing, I wonder who put their stamp of approval on drafting these 2 guys? Couldn't be the Defensive coach....

Fire Rod Marinelli.

Taco and Hill were 'his guys' and he should hang for it.

But I can see it already. The gold watch, the unceasing platitudes and praises, and Marinelli 'retiring' after the season, when everyone with a functioning set of eyes knows he was fired. Heck, they couldn't even bring themselves to tell the truth about firing Linehan.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Missing on Taco and Hill is probably the difference in being a serious contender this year. We will feel the true impact next season when we lose a lot of free agents. :mad:

Well it's a 1st and a 2nd round pick that were invested in the defensive line, with absolutely nothing to show for it. Add to that another 2nd rounder in perpetual suspension, and its a pretty significant investment with zero return whatsoever.

And all this stuff is going on under the auspices of the supposed 'D-line whisperer', that this organization showers with praise, all results to the contrary. The biggest disappointments, worst decisions, and lowest return comes from that group. And it has for years. Time to stop looking at Tampa Bay film from 2001 and start actually watching Cowboys film from this decade.

But based on contracts, 2020 would be a perfect 'opportunity' to rebuild the entire thing, starting with the coach involved.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Soooo..... Now we had Taco and now Hill regressing, I wonder who put their stamp of approval on drafting these 2 guys? Couldn't be the Defensive coach....

One bust says something about the player, two players says something about the coaches

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I dont get is he had basically the same scouting report as Taco with the added baggage of red flags with his coaching staff but Marinelli AND Richard basically pounded the table for this guy. Stranger than that is many expected there to be a different result

Very few on this board liked the Taco pick and even fewer liked Tristy. At least Taco started in college and played in a real conference making his evaluation less of a leap. Plus, he's doing quite well in Miami with some playing time. But tristy was garbage in college..... a back-up at a mid major. It was a terrible use of a second round pick. . He's a workout warrior not a football player.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All it took was watching a couple of interviews to see Hill was immature. How the hell do you go through the entire draft process and not know that?

Replacing Jerry and Stephen will always be my #1 offseason wish but the next highest priority for me has to be getting Rod Marinelli out of that building.