Marion and Julius - Roles Changing?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JJ - 15 carries.
MBIII - 14 carries.

Up until the final drive where we were running out the clock, Marion was leading in number of carries (14) vs. Julius (13). It was strange that they would put Julius in just to give him an extra 2 carries in the final drive to give him slightly more carries -- only to replace him after those two carries with Tyson Thompson.

Are we truly starting to see their roles switch this early?

Reaction score
Absolutely! Parcells, I believe, saw the writing on the wall too, but couldn't bring himself to make the move because he put so much faith in Jones by passing up all of those other RBs.

Phillips has no such qualms, and it didn't take him long to see what we've all been yelling about-MBIII is the better RB. I really believe this change will do both players good. How long has it been since you saw JJ run as determined as he did on Sunday? This change will fire up his competitive juices. It will also give our offense the best chance to win.

I believe that Olinemen block harder & longer for running backs who get through the hole quickly & attack the defense. That's why we see Barber run through better holes, and when he doesn't see one, he makes him own. The man has the balance of an, do I dare say it, Emmitt Smith. I remember OG Nate Newton saying that "I was just a fat guard until Emmitt came along. Suddenly, I'm going to Hawaii every year."

Go "Marion the Barbarion"

aikemirv

Reaction score
theogt;1651109 said:
JJ - 15 carries.
MBIII - 14 carries.

Up until the final drive where we were running out the clock, Marion was leading in number of carries (14) vs. Julius (13). It was strange that they would put Julius in just to give him an extra 2 carries in the final drive to give him slightly more carries -- only to replace him after those two carries with Tyson Thompson.

Jones seemed visibly frustrated after a few plays. I believe he is starting to put a lot of pressure on himself and that is not going to help things at all IMO. He just needs to play ball. He is nowhere close to the way he ran his rookie year.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Barber runs with love. If you are any kind of competitor, and you see Barber biting scratching, and clawing his way for 1 freaking yard, you will run through walls for this guy.

When he plays, every one in the stadium feels his excitment. He IS the spark on that Offense next to Romo. He and Romo remind me alot of each other. Both are firey, both have this magic about their game, and both are complete STUDS.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theogt;1651109 said:

I doubt it. They were on the field at their usual times. Barber just got a lot of red zone carries. He averages about three red zone carries per game, and he got six yesterday.

I also doubt the coaches are sitting there counting how many carries each running back gets.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Their roles haven't reversed, they've changed. The new coaching staff will put them in there depending on the play call. Now, whether they start changing the play calls is another story.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;1651109 said:
JJ - 15 carries.
MBIII - 14 carries.

I think they know that Barber is the more consistent RB. In games where JJ has the hot hand and gets off to a quick start I would expect him to get the majority of the carries. When Jones is on he is a fun back to watch but he has been just way too inconsistent.

superpunk

Reaction score
They are more interchangable, now I think. Whereas before, Barber owned the 2nd and 4th while Julius took the first and third, now they're rotated on a series basis, looks like. I've even seen Julius in on third downs, some. If only he was a bit taller...

conner01

Reaction score
yes i seen wade over there with his calculator counting carries. gotta keep jones on top.lol

i think the staff is trying to use them to their strengths. mb3 is a force in the red zone so they use him there
i would like to see jones get more catches but with the targets we have they may never happen.
i think they have it working just fine. mb3 is fine with coming off the bench and is getting his carries and jones gets to start so it keeps him happy.you never know when you may ned one or the other to carry the load because of an injury so why not keep both fresh and happy

Doomsday101

Reaction score
conner01;1651450 said:
yes i seen wade over there with his calculator counting carries. gotta keep jones on top.lol

i think the staff is trying to use them to their strengths. mb3 is a force in the red zone so they use him there
i would like to see jones get more catches but with the targets we have they may never happen.
i think they have it working just fine. mb3 is fine with coming off the bench and is getting his carries and jones gets to start so it keeps him happy.you never know when you may ned one or the other to carry the load because of an injury so why not keep both fresh and happy

Dallas had Jones in on one of the red zone series at one point they had both back there together. I would agree that we need them both but I don't think you should start a guy over another guy just to keep him happy. Jones gets a paycheck that should make him happy the rest should be about production.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1651196 said:
I doubt it. They were on the field at their usual times. Barber just got a lot of red zone carries. He averages about three red zone carries per game, and he got six yesterday.

I also doubt the coaches are sitting there counting how many carries each running back gets.
I think you're right. Here's how it broke down each quarter and each drive for Week 1 and Week 2.

Week 1

Quarter 1
1st Drive - Jones
2nd Drive - Jones/Barber

Quarter 2
3rd Drive - Barber
4th Drive - Jones

Quarter 3
5th Drive - Jones
6th Drive - Barber
7th Drive - Barber

Quarter 4
8th Drive - Jones
9th Drive - Neither
10th Drive - Jones
11th Drive - Barber

Week 2

Quarter 1
1st Drive - Jones
2nd Drive - Jones/Barber

Quarter 2
3rd Drive - Barber/Jones
4th Drive - Jones/Barber

Quarter 3
5th Drive - Jones
6th Drive - Jones
7th Drive - Barber
8th Drive - Barber

Quarter 4
9th Drive - Jones
10th Drive - Jones/Barber
11th Drive - Barber
12th Drive - Jones/Thompson

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'regonna see more and more of Barber and less and less of J. Jones and that's the right thing to do.

anygivensun

Reaction score
My two cents: Jones' strenghts - Fast on the open field. Oh, seems to be a nice guy too. Jones' weaknesses - Falls down as soon as he gets touched. Not hit, but touched. He needs to run tougher or he'll be falling right out of the NFL.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
anygivensun;1651537 said:
My two cents: Jones' strenghts - Fast on the open field. Oh, seems to be a nice guy too. Jones' weaknesses - Falls down as soon as he gets touched. Not hit, but touched. He needs to run tougher or he'll be falling right out of the NFL.

Jones was about average at breaking tackles last season, according to STATS LLC. There are lots of backs -- even some of the so-called "elite" -- who are worse at it. And he did a nice job of it a few times yesterday.

aikemirv

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1651569 said:
Jones was about average at breaking tackles last season, according to STATS LLC. There are lots of backs -- even some of the so-called "elite" -- who are worse at it. And he did a nice job of it a few times yesterday.

Don't confuse them with facts. This is the mantra, it is the truth no matter what anyone else says!!!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
aikemirv;1651573 said:
Don't confuse them with facts. This is the mantra, it is the truth no matter what anyone else says!!!
The stat he's using is meaningless. It's so incredibly subjective that's it's honestly laughable that anyone would actually keep it. If you can't tell that Julius has a hard time breaking tackles just by watching him, then you're either blind or a Julius homer.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
theogt;1651109 said:
JJ - 15 carries.
MBIII - 14 carries.

Stats can make any argument. Let's develop a trend first.

aikemirv

Reaction score
theogt;1651579 said:
The stat he's using is meaningless. It's so incredibly subjective that's it's honestly laughable that anyone would actually keep it. If you can't tell that Julius has a hard time breaking tackles just by watching him, then you're either blind or a Julius homer.

Is he great at it - no. Does he always go down with the first guy - no. But that is the line everyone always uses. If you don't admit that it is an exaggeration then you are a blind Barber homer.

aikemirv

Reaction score
theogt;1651579 said:

Oh and at least it is a stat that is garnered from someone who has no bias on who the Cowboys starter should be!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
aikemirv;1651594 said:
Is he great at it - no. Does he always go down with the first guy - no. But that is the line everyone always uses. If you don't admit that it is an exaggeration then you are a blind Barber homer.

I'll say Jones does not do a great job of breaking tackles and does not pick up many yards after contact. Barber on the other hand was hitting the line of scrimmage and coming out the other side and picking up the extra yard. Jones may be faster but he is not the better RB