Marion and Julius - Roles Changing?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
percyhoward;1652293 said:
Funny that you would start a thread about it, since I said the same thing in this thread almost a month ago, and you basically (and insistently) said I didn't know what I was talking about.

It started last season, continued into the preseason, and now it's been happening for two regular season games. It's good to see, because it will benefit both backs.

Still gotta substitute some of Julius' runs for pass receptions though.
It's not really funny because it's not similar at all.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Clove;1651166 said:
Barber runs with love. If you are any kind of competitor, and you see Barber biting scratching, and clawing his way for 1 freaking yard, you will run through walls for this guy.

When he plays, every one in the stadium feels his excitment. He IS the spark on that Offense next to Romo. He and Romo remind me alot of each other. Both are firey, both have this magic about their game, and both are complete STUDS.

You sir have summed it all up perfectly. Bravo. :bravo:

mmohican29

Reaction score
I will be severely disappointed if Barber is not extended. He has intangibles that ooze all over the field like napalm. He is an absolute warrior, and regardless of who is our number 1 draft pick- he NEEDS to be on this team.

Julius is a nice guy and a good running back and fun to watch at times, but he's as good as gone regardless.

Smith22

Reaction score
theogt;1651579 said:
If you can't tell that Julius has a hard time breaking tackles just by watching him, then you're either blind or a Julius homer.

I can't really argue that at all. While JJ did break some tackles against the phins, he generally seems to be too top heavy and falls down right on compact. Heck, sometimes he just seems to get offbalance and fall before he hits the LOS. Very frustrating!

focalized31

Reaction score
I dont like the idea that a role reversal is even in the talks! I like JJ being the starter! Sure his numbers are not the best! But he keeps Barber healthy, and fresh not to mention wearing down the oppenets D-line so that M.B can come in for the kill!

See my point?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
mmohican29;1653175 said:
I will be severely disappointed if Barber is not extended. He has intangibles that ooze all over the field like napalm. He is an absolute warrior, and regardless of who is our number 1 draft pick- he NEEDS to be on this team.

Julius is a nice guy and a good running back and fun to watch at times, but he's as good as gone regardless.
In other words, adios senior Jones. :)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
focalized31;1653205 said:
I dont like the idea that a role reversal is even in the talks! I like JJ being the starter! Sure his numbers are not the best! But he keeps Barber healthy, and fresh not to mention wearing down the oppenets D-line so that M.B can come in for the kill!

See my point?

No I don't see that point. Barber entered the game on the 2nd series was the Miami D wore down at that point? Also how does Jones wear any defense down? He runs with no power and is not hard to bring down. Barber on the other hand does and he punishes tackles and is more likely to wear down a defense with his running style than Jones. I would much rather see Barber in 1st and bring Jones in to use his speed against a worn down defense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1653448 said:
Phillips unfortunately says the roles will remain the same....

Considering that Barber was in on the 2nd series I can live with that. I think going up aginst a tough front like the Bears I think we will need Barber quite a bit this weekend.

Hoov

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1653416 said:
No I don't see that point. Barber entered the game on the 2nd series was the Miami D wore down at that point? Also how does Jones wear any defense down? He runs with no power and is not hard to bring down. Barber on the other hand does and he punishes tackles and is more likely to wear down a defense with his running style than Jones. I would much rather see Barber in 1st and bring Jones in to use his speed against a worn down defense.
Good post, i have often wondered why they dont dothis myself.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
theogt;1652294 said:
It's not really funny because it's not similar at all.

Four weeks ago:
percyhoward;1652294 said:
Watch Saturday night's "dress rehersal" (3rd preseason game at Hou) very closely. If the trend continues, it means Barber's getting more carries than Julius. Which in turn probably means that, in the regular season, Julius won't be getting the 71/29 split over Barber that he got over the first half of last season.

Yesterday:
theogt;1652294 said:
Marion and Julius - Roles Changing?

Yeah, apples and oranges.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
percyhoward;1653594 said:
Four weeks ago:

Yesterday:

Yeah, apples and oranges.
You compared playing time during preseason in 2006 and 2007 to attempt to draw a conclusion about playing time during regular season games.

I looked at playing time during a regular season game to attempt to draw a conclusion about playing time during regular season games.

Surely you can look at my critique of your analysis in that original thread and then look at this thread and see why they're completely different threads.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
theogt;1653626 said:
You compared playing time during preseason in 2006 and 2007 to attempt to draw a conclusion about playing time during regular season games.

I looked at playing time during a regular season game to attempt to draw a conclusion about playing time during regular season games.
So the fact that Barber played entire series as an every-down back with the first unit in preseason, including in the 2nd quarter in Houston (with Jones coming back to play in the 3rd), had nothing to do with the coaches' plans to use Barber as an every-down back in the regular season.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
percyhoward;1653676 said:
So the fact that Barber played entire series as an every-down back with the first unit in preseason, including in the 2nd quarter in Houston (with Jones coming back to play in the 3rd), had nothing to do with the coaches' plans to use Barber as an every-down back in the regular season.
You never mentioned that Barber was playing entire series in that previous thread. Had you done so and shown that there was a trend moving Barber to that role, that might have been an interesting point. You didn't. You simply compared the percentage of runs from one preseason to the next, which is meaningless.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
percyhoward;1601856 said:
For all I know, the reasons you gave earlier explain it away easily, and we won't see much of Barber with the first team, except for his 3rd-down duties.
You responded to that quote. What did you think I was talking about there?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
.. Tyson Thompson now being inserted in the second half to see if his speed doesn't break for long runs.

We saw this all pre-season long.

It's time to get him game experience to see if he can contribute to this rotation.

If MBIII and JJ can be effective..and they obviously are..

..if Tyson gets 5-7 carries also or more..

..this could be the power running game to end all running games.

Imagine keeping 3 quality RBs fresh at all times on the defense..?

Hmmm...

:starspin

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
percyhoward;1653698 said:
You responded to that quote. What did you think I was talking about there?
You made an argument. Your argument was that the percentage of total carries (regardless of when they happened) changed during preseason and therefore their role would change. Now you're trying to backtrack by saying you argued something totally different and have one obscure sentence that vaguely (if at all) mentions some alternative argument. Dude, this is sad.

You were just upset that someone criticized your argument and tried to make some jab in this thread because you thought it was the same argument. You were wrong. It's ok. It happens to the best of us. The key is for you to stop digging your hole at some point.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
And dude, you slept on this one.

Go back and read the whole post, and you'll find what you say is lacking.

RomoIsBack

Reaction score
if u think about if barber had all the carries from game one he would of had two 100 yards game

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
The team is avg 154 yds./gm good for 5th, 4TD tied for 1st and 4.7 avg dgood for 8th, I couldn't give a * which player is getting them and it seems to me neither do the players. So why do you? In this era of FA you root more than ever for a team not a player, I'd think the less dependant on a player the better.