Marion and Julius - Roles Changing?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1657871 said:
I don't even know why you're arguing this point. First of all, if the plan was to get Barber a possession in the second quarter, why would they do it in the first quarter? What if there was time for two plays in the first quarter? Or three? Or four? Are they going to put him in if there's time for one play, but not two? Or two, but not three?

Secondly, we haven't had any similar situations this season to see if it would be any different now. If we get a non-situational possession with a few seconds left in the first quarter sometime in the next few weeks and Barber is in the game, then you might be onto something. But there's no way to know whether anything is different until then.
There's really no point to arguing this for either of us. It has no bearing on the overarching point and we're just discussing it for shiggles. I still don't understand why someone would say, "Let's give Barber the rock at the beginning of the 2nd half" and then give Julius the carries simply because there are a few seconds left in the 1st quarter (and of course continue to give Julius the carries after the 2nd quarter begins).

AT BEST, the change is to get Barber a few non-situational carries in the second quarter instead of the third. But he's had only two of them so far, and he did get them at times last year. I don't consider that much of a role change.
It's a role change. You don't consider it much of one. But I consider it Barber continuing to chip away at Julius' carries.

It was different from how they were being used before that, too. One atypical game does not signify a change in roles. Especially when their roles now are virtually identical to their roles before that atypical game.
It's simply more evidence on top of other evidence of the roles that each player played last season. That's all. You can exclude it in your mind for whatever reason, but it's still there glaring at the rest of us.

Verdict

Reaction score
Stats can be misleading. All I can tell you is that it sure "seems" like Barber is more effective than Julius Jones and that it "seems" like he is getting the ball more, and it "seems" like he is sure pushing Jones on the depth chart.

Stats are meaningless through two games. Time will tell this story.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1657116 said:
Looking at the first two games last year isn't relevant. They settled into their current roles later in the season.
They haven't settled into anything yet.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
From an article posted in the Daily Zone:

Cbz40;1658740 said:
Quarterback Tony Romo says he also approves of the two-back system, which gives each runner two-straight possessions, especially in the first half.
Here's the breakdown of their drives I posted earlier in this thread:

Week 1

Quarter 1
1st Drive - Jones
2nd Drive - Jones/Barber

Quarter 2
3rd Drive - Barber
4th Drive - Jones

Quarter 3
5th Drive - Jones
6th Drive - Barber
7th Drive - Barber

Quarter 4
8th Drive - Jones
9th Drive - Neither
10th Drive - Jones
11th Drive - Barber

Week 2

Quarter 1
1st Drive - Jones
2nd Drive - Jones/Barber

Quarter 2
3rd Drive - Barber/Jones
4th Drive - Jones/Barber

Quarter 3
5th Drive - Jones
6th Drive - Jones
7th Drive - Barber
8th Drive - Barber

Quarter 4
9th Drive - Jones
10th Drive - Jones/Barber
11th Drive - Barber
12th Drive - Jones/Thompson

They seem to break up some drives, but it is essentially two (or 1.5) drives back and forth.

Certainly different roles than last season.

MONT17

Reaction score
my problem with JuJo is not the fact that he doesnt break tackles... its his cutting before he hits the hole!!! He has to use his speed... speed to the hole and after the hole. His "studder cut" into the line negates his speed!

now I know why BILL wanted him to run like Robot... the guy cant hit a hole to save his B-hind!