Mark Schlereth likes what Jerry is doing

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The problem they ran into this year is all of the dead cap money from all of those contract restructures finally came due. I don't mind the draft and develop approach to team building but with all of those picks used on players that fit DQs scheme I think we're going to find out pretty quickly how well that translates to a new coach's scheme.
Yep, we are resetting the CAP, and acknowledging that going ALL-IN behind a Defense that struggled badly in the play-offs and with a new scheme/DC, isn't realistic.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The problem they ran into this year is all of the dead cap money from all of those contract restructures finally came due. I don't mind the draft and develop approach to team building but with all of those picks used on players that fit DQs scheme I think we're going to find out pretty quickly how well that translates to a new coach's scheme.
That's another thing, maybe we should stop doing contract restructures???? If they're so worried about that. It's designed to give relief, but it's also a hindrance later on

morasp

Reaction score
Yep, we are resetting the CAP, and acknowledging that going ALL-IN behind a Defense that struggled badly in the play-offs and with a new scheme/DC, isn't realistic.
I'll be interested to see who gets playing time on defense this season after Zimmer sorts through the current roster.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That's another thing, maybe we should stop doing contract restructures???? If they're so worried about that. It's designed to give relief, but it's also a hindrance later on
Yep, in a way that's what we're doing. Using money we could of used in fa to pay off the CAP credit card. Our CAP position in 2025 (if we take the Dak hit this year) isn't bad.
Im not saying everything's rosey, and yes we need new GM to be given the chance with the reset ....but what we've done/doing in 2024 is at least drawing a line (let's just hope that includes FO).

blueblood70

Reaction score
How can anyone form an opinion on what the Cowboys are doing when the Cowboys aren't doing anything?

That my friends is the problem.
I can tell you why because you all informed your own opinion that seems to be a finality 10 days into free agency, you don't think they're doing enough when we have six months to build a team with so many other options besides what Mark was saying you literally usually overpay in the first week of free agency a lot of the people who went were quarterbacks and running backs who we don't even need...​

So there's about 75 threads on how you believe like I say you the temperature of this place that the Cowboys have already failed this offseason because they haven't done enough and that'd be absolutely ridiculous because it's incomplete, to be determined, far too soon to be making up more of these nonsensical posts about how they're not doing enough that you don't like any positive posts you don't like anyone agreeing with the notion that somehow this front office while they're not the best, they are not the worst ,they have put together the last three years 36 wins two division titles three straight playoff wins and with Prescott they've been in the playoffs five of eight years...

I get it's not enough because we haven't gone farther in the playoffs, but I can tell you right now the ridiculous posts about the offseason are getting earlier and earlier the whole couple years ago with the historically bad offseason that turned into a second-round playoff appearance, y'all are ridiculous you don't know what you're talking about I'll take marks opinion over yours...

No one likes posts that are pro Jones so they're going to say dumb things like this like we haven't done anything, yeah because it's only 10 days into this long process ,give them a chance to put an actual roster on the field and then see who shakes out in preseason and training camp.... right now, we're 10 days in literally it's nine days because it's really started on the 14th not the tampering. And everybody has lost their damn mind , y'all are insane and you don't like anybody's perspective unless it's negative anymore everybody is 75% anti cowboy anti front office and that's the only way you like to have your little group respond or you get your panties in A twist when someone says something positive...​

How about this let's wait till they actually assemble the roster to decide if it was a good or bad offseason not before they even have an opportunity to go to the draft and then pick from a very large pool by the way of leftover free agents and guys that are also going to be cut after the draft and also some trades can be made,​
this is the process they decided to go by and by the way a pretty good Kansas City Team does a lot of the same things, I'm not saying where Kansas City they have a better coaching staff and a slightly better quarterback but they don't partake in the first seven days of free agency you show me their aggressive free agents that they've signed over the last three years outside of their organization and show me how they've also let some of their guys go like here recently they let ward walk and now they're letting there are other corner whoever won thought they would sign leave for a third round pick they're not even paying them and they're literally won back-to-back Super Bowls with basically a running back by committee led by a seventh round running back any wide receiver by committee they also let hill walk and somehow they're still winning not being super aggressive they're not spending big money in free agency like most teams in fact this whole free agent frenzy in the first 7 to 10 days is what very few teams do ,​
the rest of them do it using the entire six months to build a roster using every facet trade, draft, UDFAS, and going to get more aggressive post draft in the FA pool still left..​
By no means am I saying that I wouldn't mind them being more aggressive, I get it right now if there was a game tomorrow we'd be in big trouble probably 28 other teams are being big trouble but we don't have a game tomorrow we have a game six months from now.. People would stop being so impatient and then use the excuse while we've been waiting 28 years no you're judging a teams offseason 10 days in...​
just stop the nonsense that they've done nothing they've done nothing because it's only 10 days in a six month process, it looks like nothing but you're not allowing it to chance just like you all were very wrong about the historically bad all season and I'm going to keep calling you on that with all these dream team's scenarios and the all in aggressive teams somehow one of those is in our division and we beat them twice in the last three years for the division..hmmm​
everybody has their own process our front office may not be great but they are far from bad... It's like somebody accusing me of doing nothing today when I get to wake up and get out of bed yeah that's easy to say I've done nothing because you haven't given me a chance to get up and go get after the day well this is a six month process for them and they should deserve a chance and at least seeing what we have come preseason and late into training camp they will find out then where their weaknesses and strengths are and they can even adjust all the way up to the trade deadline that is how this works no one builds a team in the 1st 10 days of free agency..​
.​

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Yep, in a way that's what we're doing. Using money we could of used in fa to pay off the CAP credit card. Our CAP position in 2025 (if we take the Dak hit this year) isn't bad.
Im not saying everything's rosey, and yes we need new GM to be given the chance with the reset ....but what we've done/doing in 2024 is at least drawing a line (let's just hope that includes FO).
So we take his hit this year, there's still a bit leftover though next year right??

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see who gets playing time on defense this season after Zimmer sorts through the current roster.
At the moment he doesn't have many options, the line looks thin and if he does like a big O-Line, he'd better get the peanut butter out. Osa and Golston and DLaw all in contract years may help.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So we take his hit this year, there's still a bit leftover though next year right??
Yep, but it's all comparative and even with CeeDee and Dak signing in 2025, our usual signing bonus and defer through the 5 year window will still leave us in a decent position.

Creeper

Reaction score
The only metric that matters is winning. Not paying for free agents seems like a reasonable thing, except everyone else is paying for free agents, making their teams better. If they win and Jerry loses on the field, then their strategy is right and Jerry's is wrong.

bewp7

Reaction score
yea we will see how that work out

the math say not good

all the starter/rotation player lost + a bad draft class last year + down a 4 (very good place to get a starter/rotation) = bad bad bad

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

the math say not good

all the starter/rotation player lost + a bad draft class last year + down a 4 (very good place to get a starter/rotation) = bad bad bad
It probably won't work out in 2024, but if we couldn't 'win' with the 2023 roster what could we have done this off-season to even get to that level?
At some point you need a reset, at least what the FO appears to be doing is to pay off the CAP credit card, with a decent $100m space for 2025.
......whilst making some of our players : Dak, DLaw, Golston, Osa, Bland play for their next contract.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The only metric that matters is winning. Not paying for free agents seems like a reasonable thing, except everyone else is paying for free agents, making their teams better. If they win and Jerry loses on the field, then their strategy is right and Jerry's is wrong.
Of course you continue to miss the point, we are talking the first 7-10 days of free agency, they're being overpaid, that's what they're saying not to pay for not all free agents there's hundreds of free agents still out there a lot of teams are in a holding pattern for the draft and then there'll be a frenzy for those very large pool of actual free agents still left which by the way a lot of the free agents that went in the first seven days we're either running backs or quarterbacks both of which we don't need or want at a high price that's already been decided here and now they're being hypocrites saying we want jacob's, Henry, or fill in the blank of the running backs that went that were not on the Cowboys radar in the first place...

I realize it's hard to be patient but you all are making full judgment of an offseason that's only ten days old... Six months before game one and you're right it is about winning we don't discuss that until February of 2025 by the way you know that's a really long ways away the judges season whether we win or loss and how the offseason may have affected that..

But hey if you wanna argue this debate why don't you show me all 31 other teams all their transactions that were outside of their team so far this offseason show me all these names and then we can debate whether they were a fit for the Cowboys or not and whether this entire premise that they have done nothing is ridiculous because it's too soon... No 31 other teams do not participate in the 1st 10 days with the highest price free agents because they're not that many of them 31 high price free agents did not get signed so far from my faint memory because I'm really not paying attention what the other teams are doing but a lot of them I remember were running backs and quarterbacks both of which I'm telling you right now were not on anybody's radar for the Dallas Cowboys because we knew we'd solve that in the draft and post draft we'll find another veteran at a cheaper price that could do the job because he really wanted to develop the young guy and use a drafted running back and we already have a quarterback we don't really have a big need for wide receiver and we have a lot of guys on this team that were drafted in the last two years that are ready to step up for some of those holes for the lost players that we had...

So again, show me what you mean by all the other teams so far the 1st 10 days show me every single signing by those 31 other teams that way I can debate them but I'm not going to do the research myself but just from memory I'm telling you you're exaggerating like the rest of the people around here....

I get the frustration and impatience but I will not judge his team until training camp and preseason as far as what the roster might look like but truly we can't even start debating this until mid season and the end of the season because what happens on the field is all that matters we don't know what the roster is gonna look like so how are we judging an offseason like a couple of y'all did a little group of y'all called it a historically bad all season that ended in the second round of the playoffs how could it be historically bad if you ended up in the second round of the playoffs??

blueblood70

Reaction score

the math say not good

now your math's off because we're nine days into the official free agency period, with six months to go... so your math is so far off because you're using the first one 9 days versus wait until they actually finalize the roster to judge the roster.

we actually have some players on this team in my opinion that can fill those holes especially on the offensive line and we have the draft... Six months before game one hundreds of free agents left to draft to go undrafted free agents and trades ohh still on the table to build a good roster.

yeah, you think your little fractured sentence is somehow supposed to win someone over and say that we have had a bad offseason when the offseason is barely started?? .That Sir says your math is horrible...

Drop a little of analogy to you wine and liquor the good stuff it ages and barrels if you were to open those barrels and taste it and give a judgement before it actually had time to age well then yeah you can say it's horrible but we don't know that until it actually has the time to age...

I'll save my judgment for training camp for preseason and what we see at cut down what this roster actually really looks like and then we have to judge it by how the season goes so yeah if you go by simpleton math 9 days in the free agency our team is not prepared for game one in September...

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't know if losing Bohanna was really that big of a loss, no pun intended, maybe Ridgeway will someday become a decent rotational DT, but I don't believe losing either actually makes a difference on where this DL roster is.
My attitude now and has been but especially now, that if you're not performing than get out of the way, next man up.
We speak here constantly about a culture change is needed, well next man up theory changes a culture quickly.
Do some research. John Ridgeway produced better stats results in 2023 than Jonathan Hankins. It shows John Ridgeway has improved in 2 short years. We would have had Ridgeway peaking at the right time when most needed right now, but Jerry and these idiot coaches who either don't know how to coach up players or are too lazy to coach them up have cost this team big time.