Marshawn Kneeland. Waste of a 2nd Round Pick

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What is your expectation ? A 6- 8 sack guy he’s certainly capable of. Also a guy capable of anchoring your edge. Dude dominates- just not as a pass rusher. Go look at the 2nd and 3rd round pass rushers taken in the last couple drafts in round 2 and later. How many of them are double digit sack guys ? How many of them are true 3 down players ?
Good point! He definitely has 3 down abilities, might not be an elite pass rusher, but doesn't mean he cannot affect the passing game. Sam Williams was taken in his same slot and his best sack total has been 4 sacks, but he is no where near the run defender as Kneeland, matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if we see Kneeland starting over Sam if they play Parsons off the ball against the run.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
If I’m spending a top 50/70 ish pick I want a slightly above average starter. A quality DE2. Examples from the last 3ish years.

Tuli
Byron Young
Dayo
AJ Epinesa
Jon Greenard
Highsmith

and of course Tank!
So Epinesa who has 15 1/2 sacks in 4 years including less than 3 sacks in his first 2 years would be an acceptable criteria ? Call me insane but I think he’s capable of that.

cnuball21

Reaction score
So Epinesa who has 15 1/2 sacks in 4 years including less than 3 sacks in his first 2 years would be an acceptable criteria ? Call me insane but I think he’s capable of that.
Well I’m talking about what the player develops into…he’s had 6.5 sacks the last 2 years with solid run defense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Which is fine…but again if that’s the case we could’ve gotten that kind of player later in the draft.
I disagree, nobody in day 3 offers his upside potential. Floor maybe, but not his potential.

As I just mentioned on another response, Sam Williams was taken at the same draft slot. Sam is more of a situational pass rusher that struggles against the run. He has shown flashes, but no consistency. Coaches don't trust him cause he makes bonehead decisions. Sam has gotten 4 sacks the last two seasons. Kneeland should see the field more and have more of an impact both against the run/pass.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well I’m talking about what the player develops into…he’s had 6.5 sacks the last 2 years with solid run defense.
Isn't that what we get out of DLaw each year? I think Kneeland can become that type of player.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Good point! He definitely has 3 down abilities, might not be an elite pass rusher, but doesn't mean he cannot affect the passing game. Sam Williams was taken in his same slot and his best sack total has been 4 sacks, but he is no where near the run defender as Kneeland, matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if we see Kneeland starting over Sam if they play Parsons off the ball against the run.
I don’t think there is any question that he’s going to be the guy opposite Lawrence in our base defense. It ain’t gonna be Williams or Gholston. This dude is different. He’s a 270 lb kid that does not lose often when defending the run. Zimmer is going to love this kid. I also think Zimmer is going to love Mazi. Let him be the 325 lb run stopper that he is supposed to be. This defense will play to his strengths. Can‘t do it with Zimmer then he just can’t do it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think a lot of posters, myself included, were very high on Travis Jones who was ranked as a 2nd rounder and filled a major need. He’s turned into a solid player who I would’ve taken way over Williams before the draft and now in hindsight. Thats just off of the top of my head going from memory without looking at the draft tracker that year.

And I agree Kneeland was fairly good value based off the consensus boards which I normally agree with…but one of my big things for small schoolers is they have to
dominate if you take them early which he clearly didn’t.
Jones is more of a NT. I personally loved the prospect, but he is more of a 2 down only player, Kneeland has the potential to be more.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Isn't that what we get out of DLaw each year? I think Kneeland can become that type of player.
Tank sprinkled in a few monster seasons of pass rush productivity…even when the sack numbers weren’t high the pressures and win rates were.

I do not think Kneeland has that kind of potential.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Jones is more of a NT. I personally loved the prospect, but he is more of a 2 down only player, Kneeland has the potential to be more.
He’s also going to continue to earn more snaps…he’s on a loaded roster so he’ll get more opportunities for pass rush. Kneeland has the athleticism to be more but has shown nothing on tape to make us believe he’ll be a legit pass rusher.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Tank sprinkled in a few monster seasons of pass rush productivity…even when the sack numbers weren’t high the pressures and win rates were.

I do not think Kneeland has that kind of potential.
Tank had 2 big sack total years, but the majority of his career he has been a 6-8 sack type of rusher, with excellent run defense. I do feel like Kneeland can become that type of player. His issues in college was that he struggled to finish, where many times his teammates made the plays. Sounds like how DLaw plays today.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
He’s also going to continue to earn more snaps…he’s on a loaded roster so he’ll get more opportunities for pass rush. Kneeland has the athleticism to be more but has shown nothing on tape to make us believe he’ll be a legit pass rusher.
Jones has shown nothing to project that he will be a 3 down player. And certainly not a pass rusher.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's not an apples to apples comparison, they play 2 different positions and are in a different defensive scheme.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Jones has shown nothing to project that he will be a 3 down player. And certainly not a pass rusher.
His job is to play the run and take on multiple blockers, very different then what the Cowboys are going to ask Kneeland to do.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Tank had 2 big sack total years, but the majority of his career he has been a 6-8 sack type of rusher, with excellent run defense. I do feel like Kneeland can become that type of player. His issues in college was that he struggled to finish, where many times his teammates made the plays. Sounds like how DLaw plays today.
But again the advanced pass rush metrics lean in Tanks favor even when the sacks are low…Ex last year he only had 4 sacks but had a 90+ percentile PFF pass rush grade. Indicating he had a solid win rate and a good amount of pressures.

Also Tank is arguably one of the best run
defending DEs of the last decade.

I don’t think that’s a fair comp / expectation for a small schooler that never had pass rush productivity.

cnuball21

Reaction score
End of the day I just struggle with a small school DE as a top 50ish pick with very low production.

I’ll cross my fingers and root for the kid like crazy. Fingers crossed he can be a stud run defender and give us 6ish sacks / solid pressure rates.

If he can develop to be that guy I’ll be very happy.

I also haven’t given up on Williams - he’s shown great flashes just needs more snaps which I think him and Kneeland will get next year.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
His job is to play the run and take on multiple blockers, very different then what the Cowboys are going to ask Kneeland to do.
Jones is a solid player. But I hear folks comparing Kneeland to Hunter and Karlaftis. Not a reasonable comparison.The Epinesa comparison is a good one. And one that I think Kneeland could certainly be. This team wanted a certain kind of player. They were not going to a consider a 250 lb Edge player. That’s why they were interested in Robinson. They got the next guy on their board. I loved the pic. You can’t win with a bunch of finesse DL.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Jones is a solid player. But I hear folks comparing Kneeland to Hunter and Karlaftis. Not a reasonable comparison.The Epinesa comparison is a good one. And one that I think Kneeland could certainly be. This team wanted a certain kind of player. They were not going to a consider a 250 lb Edge player. That’s why they were interested in Robinson. They got the next guy on their board. I loved the pic. You can’t win with a bunch of finesse DL.
He is more of a LE that should have the ability to kick inside against the pass. He isn't a weakside, bend around the corner RE type, that cnuball thinks is a worthy pick of a 2nd rd selection. As we discussed, those type of players are usually drafted much earlier. We already have that type of player in Parsons. Problem is, he has struggled stopping the run as a DE and has warn down facing those big Tackles throughout the yr. Kneeland will help fix the early down issues against the run and be apart of the secondary pass rushers within the defensive line. Do they need another situational type of pass rusher? Maybe, maybe not. They did lose Fowler/Armstrong, but they are expecting Sam Williams to take that next step or they will find his replacement next yr.

kskboys

Reaction score
Kneeland was ranked fairly high in the scouting community and I love is physicality the run game but man I’m really struggling with the lack of production as a small schooler. If you’re a premium pick from a small school I’d expect a million sacks, pressures and TFLs and he was nowhere near that.

I think bend is one of the top pre-requisites to be a high end pass rusher in the NFL and I just don’t see it with him. The Tank comp is not a good one IMO bc he was actually a pass rush demon in college. Gholson / Fehoko are probably much better comps.
Tank had 20 sacks in 2 seasons at Boise. Kneeland less, but 20 at a small college isn't that impressive.