Martin for Thomas

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No way. That would be absolute larceny....for Seattle.

Zack Martin is starting his 5th season with little injury problems and now in his prime. Earl Thomas is 29 starting his 9th season, with recent injuries and having already peaked IMO. Not to mention Thomas has one more year on a contract that pays him over 10 mil in 2018, and with the possibility he leaves as a FA in 2019.

Bad idea.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Would ya?

Seattle tried Joeckel at guard and it didn't work out. They just signed Flucker, but have virtually no one else.

Money wise it would work.

Do you do that trade?
i just soiled myself in laughter.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
We can get a starter at guard in the first round. We can't do so for a safety.
Depending on how you view it I cannot say for certain that there isn’t a decent S outside of the first round though. I love ET but I think we would be doing Seattle a solid by giving them Martin for a player that might end up leaving next season anyway. I feel like we will give Martin a contract.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Depending on how you view it I cannot say for certain that there isn’t a decent S outside of the first round though. I love ET but I think we would be doing Seattle a solid by giving them Martin for a player that might end up leaving next season anyway. I feel like we will give Martin a contract.
Obviously it would require a new deal to be in place for Thomas.

Paying Martin 15 mill a year is a bad idea for us due to what we are already paying for the line. This was discussed in another thread.

Seattle needs online help badly.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We can get a starter at guard in the first round. We can't do so for a safety.

You do know that there are few guards as good as Martin, right?

We're not talking about just swapping out starters, we're probably talking about downgrading the position at best. That's to get a 28-year-old safety who has already played eight seasons and maybe has up to three left playing at a star level.

Thomas is worth trading for, but not if it means giving up a long-term building block of this offensive line. Seattle would win easily in that trade.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
You do know that there are few guards as good as Martin, right?

We're not talking about just swapping out starters, we're probably talking about downgrading the position at best. That's to get a 28-year-old safety who has already played eight seasons and maybe has up to three left playing at a star level.

Thomas is worth trading for, but not if it means giving up a long-term building block of this offensive line. Seattle would win easily in that trade.

Straight up, yes. If they are on board with paying 15 mill a year for a guard. And they certainly aren't paying much for the online now.

We CAN'T pay everybody. It just doesn't work that way. We can't average 11/12 million per spot across the line.

Yes, it would be great. But it's not realistic.

Not when we will also have to start paying a QB 20+ mill a year in two years.

Id take Thomas (new contract), a fourth this year and a second next. And not look back.

conner01

Reaction score
Obviously it would require a new deal to be in place for Thomas.

Paying Martin 15 mill a year is a bad idea for us due to what we are already paying for the line. This was discussed in another thread.

Seattle needs online help badly.
Martin would be higher than ET but he will also be still playing when ET is retired and it’s not like he is all that much cheaper

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Martin would be higher than ET but he will also be still playing when ET is retired and it’s not like he is all that much cheaper

There is no guarantee Martin would stay with Seattle past this next contract. And I'm sure they would be looking to get cheaper there at some point as well.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Franchise QB's aren't netting that, lets be serious for a moment dog.

A 2nd but I'll settle for a 3rd.
My bad. I was trying to be very sarcastic but it was poor attempt. Sorry. I would not trade Martin for Thomas. I think Martin is more valuable to us.