Martin not playing Tackle just proves the coaches don’t get it

75boyz

Reaction score
Sure the obvious for the fans looking in from the outside is Martin & McGovern on the right side, Tyler Biadasz at center & Connor Williams & Tyron Smith on the left side which forms the best five at this formative stage of the season, the club shouldn’t balk. Think again.

Kellen Moore:
“You’ve got to also balance out what we’ve done throughout the offseason and where we’re at, where players are at in different stages of whether it’s their career, or health status,” he said. “We’ll find a combination here as the week goes on and see what suits us best.”

Sounds like your typical politician skirting the edges of a question who can't give a straight answer.
Even worse is that he is the offensive coordinator, knows who his best 5 are and the fans are left wondering who's running the asylum AGAIN...

Players, coaches or Papa Jerry?

jmo

SSoup

Reaction score
At this point, can we just stop being coy and admit this is only a problem because Zack Martin isn't being a team player and he's the one digging in his heels and not wanting to do it?

This is now multiple coaching regimes who hem and haw and refuse to do it. If it had just been Garrett doing stubborn, refusing-to-adapt Garrett things, and the new staff immediately slid him over to tackle last year when the tackles got hurt, that would be one thing. But it took an insane amount of dominos falling for it to finally happen last year. And when he finally got browbeat into doing it, he was perfectly good at tackle. It's not like he slid over there and got exposed and everyone said, "Oh, our great guard is actually a straight-up bad tackle. Lesson learned. Not doing that again."

And even Jerry is onboard for this instead of arguing for the better plan? Come on. Jerry is the same guy who had Larry Allen straight-up move to left tackle after establishing himself as an all-timer at right guard, so it's not like Jerry buys into this absolute horse **** about how you can't just switch a guard to tackle or a guy from the right side to the left side or whatever. And it's not like Jerry has bought into this and thinks this will be good. If he was announcing we were moving Martin to RT for 5 games, there's no way he'd say "we're giving Martin the first crack at it." He's saying that about Steele because he expects this will fail and then we'll be giving the second crack at it to Ty and the 3rd crack at it to Brandon.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There is no logical explanation to not play Martin at Tackle over this 5 game stretch.

Martin has the ability to play Tackle at a high level and you are purposely making yourself worse for whatever reason.

If Dallas can’t figure this out then we got coaching problems still. Martin shouldn’t have a say in this either. He’s paid to do a job and it’s not a permanent switch. It’s a short term solution that fixes a big problem.

This is a clear obvious move and if anything happens because of our right tackle it’s 100% on the decision makers who saw the obvious thing to do and ignored it.
Never ceases to amaze me how a couch potato fan thinks he or she knows more than the coaching staff. Martin at RG helps both the center and the RT.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Never ceases to amaze me how a couch potato fan thinks he or she knows more than the coaching staff. Martin at RG helps both the center and the RT.

It never cease to amaze me how a couch potato fan can see the obvious and a “professional” can’t.

I guess 10 years of Garrett still didn’t convince you that a lot of these NFL coaches are clueless.

Even Tom Brady has said there is a lot of dumb people in the business.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It never cease to amaze me how a couch potato fan can see the obvious and a “professional” can’t.

I guess 10 years of Garrett still didn’t convince you that a lot of these NFL coaches are clueless.

Even Tom Brady has said there is a lot of dumb people in the business.
Ok coach.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ok coach.

This is an obvious move. Like so obvious that it if this backfired on the team whoever allowed this decision should be fired because they are flirting with disaster for no reason at all.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is an obvious move. Like so obvious that it if this backfired on the team whoever allowed this decision should be fired because they are flirting with disaster for no reason at all.
If it's so obvious, then why isn't the coaching staff doing it? I certainly have no clue and neither do you.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If it's so obvious, then why isn't the coaching staff doing it? I certainly have no clue and neither do you.

That’s why we have a 10 page thread on the subject. It makes no sense unless they just think we have a better unit with Steele playing instead of McGovern.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That’s why we have a 10 page thread on the subject. It makes no sense unless they just think we have a better unit with Steele playing instead of McGovern.
Why not just wait and see before calling the FO all kinds of names?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Why not just wait and see before calling the FO all kinds of names?

I don’t need to. It’s the wrong decision whether it works out or not.

They made this decision based on something that has nothing to do with football.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don’t need to. It’s the wrong decision whether it works out or not.

They made this decision based on something that has nothing to do with football.
You have no clue what is the right thing to do. You don’t know the ins and outs of football, you don’t know the players strengths and weaknesses and you don’t know the players they’ll be playing against strengths and weaknesses. No one here does. This is just your opinion from the luxury of your couch.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You have no clue what is the right thing to do. You don’t know the ins and outs of football, you don’t know the players strengths and weaknesses and you don’t know the players they’ll be playing against strengths and weaknesses. No one here does. This is just your opinion from the luxury of your couch.

No. You don’t know so you assume others don’t based on your own ignorance.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
:lmao2:You said Dak is a JAG, a bus driver.:lmao2:

He has been.

Notice I didn’t say that after the game the other night? That was a big league QB performance.

This is what living in reality looks like instead of letting emotion cloud your judgement.

The reality is Dak played like an elite QB the other night. We lost and I’m still saying it…Why? Because that’s the reality.

khiladi

Reaction score
Nick Foles was elite in the playoffs on his way to a SB victory and so was Joe Flacco. Doesn’t make them elite QBs…

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He has been.

Notice I didn’t say that after the game the other night? That was a big league QB performance.

This is what living in reality looks like instead of letting emotion cloud your judgement.

The reality is Dak played like an elite QB the other night. We lost and I’m still saying it…Why? Because that’s the reality.
So he just suddenly became elite? Many of us knew he was already on his way to being elite. You didn’t. You said you know your stuff. Well you missed on Dak.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So he just suddenly became elite? Many of us knew he was already on his way to being elite. You didn’t. You said you know your stuff. Well you missed on Dak.

Based on what I’ve seen from him he’s not an elite QB.

What I saw the other night was an elite QB performance and if I start seeing that more often I will personally move him into the elite category because he played like an elite player plays.

That wasn’t some hollow stat game by a defense that had called the dogs off. That was a legit performance.

jnday

Reaction score
I don’t buy the injury at tackle thing.

Guards have to beat and bang a lot more inside against monsters all game. Tackles play in space and it’s a lot more finesse.

My guess is he probably feels he doesn’t get paid enough to play tackle and doesn’t want to be the teams swing tackle unless he is compensated for it.

I mean it would be a total financial screw job if he played Tackle for guard money but I’m a fan and don’t care about his finances and want what’s best for the team.

I could be off base on that and it have nothing to do with money but the injury thing makes no sense.
Having played both, the guard position is much more physically demanding. Guards are also at a risk of other players rolling up on them from behind and being tripped in the pile-ups. Every play requires the use of the upper and lower body with as much power that can be generated.