Martin not playing Tackle just proves the coaches don’t get it

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
i don't have an issue with this initially. but if he is getting handled they better adjust. I feel like the cleveland game last year and miles garrett was an issue we didn't adjust to until the game was almost out of hand. i also dont think just putting an all pro guard at tackle is the answer. There's no guarantee Martin don't get handled out there as well.

Martin played all pro level RT last year and in College....this is crazy to me, why do we need to see if Steele can handle Bosa...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will say one thing about these coaches. The worst one on the team still knows a hell of a lot more about it than I do. I might second guess some in game decisions but who plays and who starts, nope, I do not know enough about that to even pick one. Except QB, I would start Prescott.

starfan1

Reaction score
Martin played all pro level RT last year and in College....this is crazy to me, why do we need to see if Steele can handle Bosa...
I don't know if he played all pro level but he certainly played better than steele. Hell the way Steele and Knight started out can make just about anyone look all pro level. He also got hurt playing out there. It wont break my heart if they put him out there but he doesnt want to go so theres that. I think Steele with Zeke chipping may be ok or even TE help

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no logical explanation to not play Martin at Tackle over this 5 game stretch.

Martin has the ability to play Tackle at a high level and you are purposely making yourself worse for whatever reason.

If Dallas can’t figure this out then we got coaching problems still. Martin shouldn’t have a say in this either. He’s paid to do a job and it’s not a permanent switch. It’s a short term solution that fixes a big problem.

This is a clear obvious move and if anything happens because of our right tackle it’s 100% on the decision makers who saw the obvious thing to do and ignored it.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McGovern is so much of a better player than Steele or any other backup. This is beyond asinine.

starfan1

Reaction score
McGovern is so much of a better player than Steele or any other backup. This is beyond asinine.
what would make the most sense if Zach ain't having it is to Have Conner Williams play tackle and McGovern at guard

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
what would make the most sense if Zach ain't having it is to Have Conner Williams play tackle and McGovern at guard
That's my view as well. Williams has played tackle his entire life and McGovern is the back up RG.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The middle of our line will be fine with McGovern.

We’re more exposed now with Steele on the field then we are with McGovern who is a legit NFL starter for most teams.
Sure it will, lol.

bigE79

Reaction score
I’m not suggesting it should matter but it’s been reported that Martin doesn’t want to play RT.

he’s a cancer. He doesnt play game 1. Now he refuses to help the team at RT game 2. @Risen Star called it the day he was drafted. Typical ND prick OL
Selfish freaking players...lol

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
But Martin is all pro at T also and McGovern is a solid Gaurd....I'm sorry I just dont see any reason you dont put the best 5 on the field...I could be wrong but nothing Steele has shown gives me the impression he is starting qaulity at all..McGovern on the other hand is probably a starting gaurd on 95% of the other NFL teams.
If McGovern is a starting Guard anywhere else, why is he a back up LG to Williams?

CoachD

Reaction score
So the question is is the team better with McGovern at guard and Martin at tackle or Martin at guard and one of your swing tackles playing right tackle? Personally I think that the answer is obvious, McGovern at right guard and Martin at tackle gives you the best chance for success for the next 5 games until Collins returns.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Sure the obvious for the fans looking in from the outside is Martin & McGovern on the right side, Tyler Biadasz at center & Connor Williams & Tyron Smith on the left side which forms the best five at this formative stage of the season, the club shouldn’t balk. Think again.

Kellen Moore:
“You’ve got to also balance out what we’ve done throughout the offseason and where we’re at, where players are at in different stages of whether it’s their career, or health status,” he said. “We’ll find a combination here as the week goes on and see what suits us best.”

75boyz

Reaction score
Philbin messed up personnel last year, messed them up again this year, and the team has been similarly messing up for years now.

McGovern played a year as C in college. Doesn't crosstrain at C.
Instead, the LT from college crosstrains at C but not at T while starting at LG.
And another LT from college who got pressed into service at RT last year and played great wasn't crosstrained for RT again this year.

Instead of our quality Gs getting crosstrained where it makes sense, we only crosstrain them where it doesn't make sense.

Garrett is gone, but the Stupid has been replenished by new coaches.

Yep, others also have made these observations. It's hard to figure what Philbin's mindset is on position flex. They previously played a college position which allows at least a base foundation for cross training.

Whatever Philbin is doing is strange to say the least.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Williams is a good gaurd he was not the one getting dozed to the QB last thursday.
Actually, he got beat a few times. He also had some untimely penalties that killed opportunities. But my point was if McGovern is such a good RG and can handle starting on many other teams, why was he a back up at LG? Seems to me he would start of Williams. Williams has played tackle his entire football career before the NFL. In the end, I couldn't possibly care less who starts if we're good and the name of the game is cohesiveness on the O line. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
Not to mention we're not 100% on how many games Collins is suspended for, are we?