Martin not playing Tackle just proves the coaches don’t get it

cowboyec

Reaction score
i think the oline is better with zack inside.
he did a helluva job last season,no doubt.
but this line is better with him inside.
we signed nsekhe...lets see what he can do.

jnday

Reaction score
While I want to move him out, didn’t he get injured last year playing tackle? This could lead to long term devastating effects. Without that injury possibility, I’d tell him to suck it up. But that risk is there.

And yes, I know he could get injured at guard. His risk is higher at tackle. And if we lose him in addition, we are done. Is that a risk worth taking?
IIRC, he was initially injured while playing guard and aggravated the injury again while playing tackle. Personally, I always saw the guard position as causing more injuries than tackle. I played both decades ago and guard is much more physical position. Tackle does not require the power and constant physical stress compared to tackle which requires more finesse and technique.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question is which combo is better, Zack/Steele or McGovern/Zack?
Exactly. Some are playing this as if it is only a matter of Martin being better at RT than Steele, but he is also better at RG than McGovern, which means it just comes down to the better combination.

I tend to think McGovern/Zack would be, but that might not be true given that Zack's NFL experience is at RG, so it might be best to use him where he is comfortable and accomplished at the NFL level

CCBoy

Reaction score
I fully understand Martin is a better guard than Tackle.

It makes no difference to me in our current situation.
So upfront, reason is out the window....as more was included.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
understand, but were they weaker against TB? no I think McGovern held his own very well. Badiaz Did as well. Yeah the most logical lineup would be Collins at RT and Martin at RG, but without Collins RT backup is a huge downgrade.
Yes. We were weaker vs. Tampa without Martin at RG.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
IIRC, he was initially injured while playing guard and aggravated the injury again while playing tackle. Personally, I always saw the guard position as causing more injuries than tackle. I played both decades ago and guard is much more physical position. Tackle does not require the power and constant physical stress compared to tackle which requires more finesse and technique.

I don’t buy the injury at tackle thing.

Guards have to beat and bang a lot more inside against monsters all game. Tackles play in space and it’s a lot more finesse.

My guess is he probably feels he doesn’t get paid enough to play tackle and doesn’t want to be the teams swing tackle unless he is compensated for it.

I mean it would be a total financial screw job if he played Tackle for guard money but I’m a fan and don’t care about his finances and want what’s best for the team.

I could be off base on that and it have nothing to do with money but the injury thing makes no sense.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
There is no logical explanation to not play Martin at Tackle over this 5 game stretch.

Martin has the ability to play Tackle at a high level and you are purposely making yourself worse for whatever reason.

If Dallas can’t figure this out then we got coaching problems still. Martin shouldn’t have a say in this either. He’s paid to do a job and it’s not a permanent switch. It’s a short term solution that fixes a big problem.

This is a clear obvious move and if anything happens because of our right tackle it’s 100% on the decision makers who saw the obvious thing to do and ignored it.
I agree. They have strength in the middle. The drop off at T is huge. I bet Collins gets cut back to a couple weeks. Martin could hold the fort there and McGovern could play G. It is a no brainer.

Soth

Reaction score
They are playing with fire. Do they really feel comfortable with Steele/Nsehke protecting their $40 million QB?

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Close would be fine by me, I'm not asking for an All Pro at every position.
I mean gone are the days where we had Jerome Bettis's and Lorenzo Neal's trotting around. People realize there's not much money in those dirty-work positions.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We were one dimensional vs. Tampa. Without Martin at RG.
I agree. They have strength in the middle. The drop off at T is huge. I bet Collins gets cut back to a couple weeks. Martin could hold the fort there and McGovern could play G. It is a no brainer.
Our strength is NOT in the middle without Martin, did you watch the Tampa game?

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Martin is a WAY better guard than RT, I'm not ripping off a band-aid to just put it somewhere else. We also have Williams who's played Tackle. I'd shift McGovern to LG before I moved Martin to RT.
Martin is way better at right tackle than any other able body on the roster.....He played there last year finally after the brainless trust that run this clown show of a franchise finally figured out in week twelve.

Yeah that other braindead move really worked out, playing Williams at center...laughable!!

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Obviously those guys aren't better than Martin at RT, but that's not really the issue because neither is McGovern better than Martin at RG.

The issue is whether Martin at RG & Steele/Nsekhe at RT is a better right side combo than McGovern at RG & Martin at RT.

I personally like the idea of moving Martin to RT, but I'm not sure if the decision is as cut and dry as some believe.
McGovern is better at right guard than any of the other spares on the roster playing right tackle...And we already seen this work last year finally when the idiots running this show finally put Martin at right tackle last year

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Martin is way better at right tackle than any other able body on the roster.....He played there last year finally after the brainless trust that run this clown show of a franchise finally figured out in week twelve.

Yeah that other braindead move really worked out, playing Williams at center...laughable!!
Martin is better by a larger margin than anyone at RG.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I mean gone are the days where we had Jerome Bettis's and Lorenzo Neal's trotting around. People realize there's not much money in those dirty-work positions.
I don't think being effective blocking smaller players in the secondary is too much to ask, and yet they struggle. Catch and YAC is all I'll give them. It's like having 2 practice squad WRs and asking them to block.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We already seen the Martin(RT) McGovern(RG) right side last year, worked very well, time to rinse and repeat it again
I wouldn't suggest they played very well. They got by.
Philbin is a good coach and hopefully smarter than that.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
We were one dimensional vs. Tampa. Without Martin at RG.

Our strength is NOT in the middle without Martin, did you watch the Tampa game?

I watched Dallas go up and down the field against a good defense. That game?

terra

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest they played very well. They got by.
Philbin is a good coach and hopefully smarter than that.
Martin played very well at RT. Only idiots did not realize that. I do not think much of any of our backup tackles and what we saw in the game backs that up.

Martin is a pro's pro. Just like last year if told he had to play RT until Collins comes back he would do it and do it well.