Matt Cassell couldn't find a coach to coach him

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
How is that not just as concerning? You just traded for a back up QB that has a realistic chance of being a starter in the near future, that doesn't know the playbook or terminology and not have somebody help coach him up. The fact that he had to search out someone himself is ridiculous. I'm not saying JG had to coach him personally, but there should have been someone on staff to approach and coach him. Either scenario is just plain bad.

I don't think it would differ much with any team. The focus is on winning games and trying to do that with the QB who is playing at the time. If Weeden had succeeded, then there would be no reason to switch to Cassel, so he was brought in as a veteran to learn the playbook, take whatever reps he could get and prepare himself as much as possible.

Without seeing how other teams would handle the same situation, I can't be too critical of the coaching staff. If he had been brought in and immediately expected to start and no coach had worked with him, then we'd have reason for concern.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Early in the game commentator John Lynch shared a conversation he had with Cassell, in the conversation, Cassell shared with Lynch that the week he was named starter he couldn't find a coach to coach him. Did anyone find that comment disturbing? He must've shared that with Lynch for a reason. Maybe it's a non-issue because he's a vet, but I always presumed that if someone wanted to get coached up a coach would be available.

Thoughts?

I think Cassel knows by now what it takes to prepare each week. Watch a lot of tape, look for tendencies, determine where you have to make adjustments, and where you can take advantage of mismatches.

Eddie

Reaction score
When I'm jealous of Kirk Cousins, then something is really wrong.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I would like to believe this can't possibly be true.

Unfortunately with this coaching staff I'm afraid it has every chance of being true.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Instead of bringing in the noodle-arm Cassel, the management should've brought in a wide receiver for Weeden to throw downfield to. Without Dez in the lineup, rocket-armed Weeden had NO ONE to throw to downfield. This shouldn't have been very complicated. Bringing in Cassel was an immature reaction.

And where are you finding a legit WR in the middle of the season?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Wade Wilson is pointless

Exactly....*** is his job then????

What I found even more disturbing was......The Cowboys don't put together an offensive game plan during the week so there is nothing to study.....

What organization in their right mind....wouldn't do some advance scouting on an opponent?

Maybe even practice some plays that might come in handy.....

And if this is true.....then this has to have been going on for years.....makes last years 12-4 even more remarkable.

This just goes to show this team has more problems than just personnel and scheme.

*** do these guys do during the week then? I just can't believe the amount of incompetence that is in that building.....:(

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I would like to believe this can't possibly be true.

Unfortunately with this coaching staff I'm afraid it has every chance of being true.

With Wade Wilson as your QB coach, it is even more likely to be true. He probably was out fetching coffee or something.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Early in the game commentator John Lynch shared a conversation he had with Cassell, in the conversation, Cassell shared with Lynch that the week he was named starter he couldn't find a coach to coach him. Did anyone find that comment disturbing? He must've shared that with Lynch for a reason. Maybe it's a non-issue because he's a vet, but I always presumed that if someone wanted to get coached up a coach would be available.

Thoughts?

Jerry was getting hip replacement surgeries so he didn't have the time to coach Cassell

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo at 36yrs old, Payton is the only coach that could come in here and not totally blow Romo's mind with a new offensive scheme. It ain't happening folks...

Romo is smart... he could do just fine...

khiladi

Reaction score
No it was definitely our offensive coaches.
Here's the second bombshell, according to Lynch, the reason why he couldn't find a coach was because they were too busy putting the game plan together.

Romo use to not be involved in the game-plan, until Jerry gave him that big contract. Per reports, Jason didn't want him involved. Jerry had to make Romo involved.

th Cassel, maybe that is a telling sign regarding the coaching philosophy. So their QB is absolutely clueless as to the game plan... Which apparently doesn't change from week-to-week anyways...