Matt Weletzko

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Rosenthal would have been a good udfa signing.

He has similarities to Weletzko but not to Tyler Smith.

Yeah, after looking into the players, I think we're better off with Waletzko. Maybe Rosenthal could pan out, but he looks flabby and I think NFL is going to test his game.

Waletzko has a super high RAS, which I like, because we're trying to be the more athletic team on offense and defense. So, I just didn't have enough time to properly evaluate, since I kinda came in late this year. So I gotta give it to the Cowboys for doing their homework.

It's hard to guess the late round picks anyway. I also wasn't paying much attention to the Cowboys 30 visits.

Lesson learned.

I actually like Ball better than Waletzko, right now. Although that could change depending on how he plays.

RonWashington

Reaction score
From what is thrown around the plan is for this Giant of a tackle to be # 77’s insurance plan . Looks like he may get some prime time action

jrumann59

Reaction score
Something wrong with Steele? He did very well last year at RT. Not so much LT but he was good at RT.
Depends on Steele's continued growth, if he plateaus he will be due up a new contract at the end of the year I believe, if you have a prospect that is equal to you let Steele walk and backfill with either, Ball, Waletzko, FA (LOL) or another candidate.

RonWashington

Reaction score
If Steele shuts down the edge from the right side plays a full season without injury or failing the bathroom experiment like Collins ….I say reward him give a contract . One less position to fill .

jrumann59

Reaction score
If Steele shuts down the edge from the right side plays a full season without injury or failing the bathroom experiment like Collins ….I say reward him give a contract . One less position to fill .
I disagree. Unless he is pro bowler then yes. if he is above average and the other guys are at or just below him you let him walk. You really should not be extending average to slightly above average talent. You need to manage the cap and churning guys like Steele if they do not continue to develop is key. Its awesome what he has accomplished as a UDFA but unless he is prow bowl or All-pro he should be considered replaceable.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I disagree. Unless he is pro bowler then yes. if he is above average and the other guys are at or just below him you let him walk. You really should not be extending average to slightly above average talent. You need to manage the cap and churning guys like Steele if they do not continue to develop is key. Its awesome what he has accomplished as a UDFA but unless he is prow bowl or All-pro he should be considered replaceable.

I won't be surprised if Ball takes his spot.

RonWashington

Reaction score

Ok let’s have a revolving door at tackle with a 140 million $ QB ….especially with 77 on the other side of his career you would be looking at both tackles open . I’m not suggesting breaking the bank for Steele but if he continues to progress a sensible contract might be worked .

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
His upside is Doug Free who was a similar player coming out. I don't hold my breath on these guys that need to get stronger.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Ok let’s have a revolving door at tackle with a 140 million $ QB ….especially with 77 on the other side of his career you would be looking at both tackles open . I’m not suggesting breaking the bank for Steele but if he continues to progress a sensible contract might be worked .
I understand the sentiment but because we have 140m on QB and have so many holes else where and smith may retire soon, martin has a few more years as well. Keep drafting well and spackle holes on the OL, if Steele is playing pro bowl caliber of course sign him but if not there are plenty of candidates to look at. Honestly I see steele getting to the doug free level of play, good but not spectacular and he will have you howling at the TV some weeks.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I understand the sentiment but because we have 140m on QB and have so many holes else where and smith may retire soon, martin has a few more years as well. Keep drafting well and spackle holes on the OL, if Steele is playing pro bowl caliber of course sign him but if not there are plenty of candidates to look at. Honestly I see steele getting to the doug free level of play, good but not spectacular and he will have you howling at the TV some weeks.

Doug Free was a solid part of a very dominant OLine . I guess first of all Steele has to win the job in camp fending off Josh Ball and if Steele is steady and serviceable like Doug Free I’m all in on say 2 yrs 7 mill .

RonWashington

Reaction score
I won't be surprised if Ball takes his spot.

He had quite the hype post draft and I guess a high ankle sprain kept him gone all year. Not even sure he played that last game regular season exhibition in Philly , a lot of backups got snaps that night .

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are in transition at the position, Collins is already gone and Tyron probably play another 1-2 seasons. We now have Steele who will be a fa after the season, Ball, Wel and Tyler Smith. Let's hope our long-term starters at the position are already on the roster.
Restricted Free Agent.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He had quite the hype post draft and I guess a high ankle sprain kept him gone all year. Not even sure he played that last game regular season exhibition in Philly , a lot of backups got snaps that night .

I had almost forgotten about him. But he helps me feel better about the overall state of the offensive line because he adds competition and depth.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, after looking into the players, I think we're better off with Waletzko. Maybe Rosenthal could pan out, but he looks flabby and I think NFL is going to test his game.

Waletzko has a super high RAS, which I like, because we're trying to be the more athletic team on offense and defense. So, I just didn't have enough time to properly evaluate, since I kinda came in late this year. So I gotta give it to the Cowboys for doing their homework.

It's hard to guess the late round picks anyway. I also wasn't paying much attention to the Cowboys 30 visits.

Lesson learned.

I actually like Ball better than Waletzko, right now. Although that could change depending on how he plays.
Wally has a higher upside, just isn't ready.