May be time to let Marinelli go

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by stasheroo, Sep 8, 2019.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

43,555 Messages
    42,687 Likes Received
    Runs by Barkley:
    Dallas goes to a Prevent Defense

2. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

38,223 Messages
    37,367 Likes Received
    I am pretty sure this is Rod's last year. I have nothing to base it on but a gut feeling. Based a few comments from them from a year ago. As well his contract is up.

3. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

38,223 Messages
    37,367 Likes Received
    Kind of looks like some numbers I posted in a thread a few days or so ago.

What was Zeke's runs?

4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

43,555 Messages
    42,687 Likes Received
    Runs by Barkley:
    Dallas goes to a Prevent Defense

5. garyo1954

garyo1954 Well-Known Member

654 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    No question Kris Richard will become the DC (unless he takes a head coaching position before Rod leaves). He brought his playbook from Seattle and meshed it with the Marinelli's which says a lot. And he owns the defensive clipboard, calling the plays already. Just a matter of time until the title is official. Might be the only thing holding it up is Rod wanting a Super Bowl ring?

TwentyOne likes this.
  6. DuncanIso

DuncanIso Well-Known Member

1,359 Messages
    1,032 Likes Received
    There's a lot of concern...

Marinelli gets owned by the Rams in the playoffs [273 yds rushing, 40 attempts, 3 TDs] and we basically see the SAME defense vs the Giants.

Hennessy_King and stasheroo like this.
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Zone Supporter

10,227 Messages
    18,074 Likes Received
    The Rams killed everyone and both Dallas DTs were playing with injuries that keep most players off the field in the regular season.

I posted this in another thread, before Antwuan Woods got hurt in the 2nd Quarter Dallas was actually holding the Rams RBs slightly under their season average YPC.

8. Xeven

Xeven Active Member

339 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    Make Shawn Lee the DC. No one knows a defense like a LB.

9. Hadenough

Hadenough Well-Known Member

3,634 Messages
    3,698 Likes Received
    The defense held the Bill's to 17 points and the defense actually scored a td, and a fumble recovery with 4 sacks. Cant blame the Jets defense when their offense turned the ball over to Buffalo 4 times.

Hennessy_King likes this.
  10. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

9,846 Messages
    8,362 Likes Received
    I'm not really a fan of Crawford, particularly at RDE. But don't tell me that the defenders aren't told at times to engage blockers. Those blockers were going to engage *him* regardless.

Anyone being objective about the play will say that LVE is the guy who screwed up. He was the guy who was entirely free, and just picked the wrong gap.

11. DuncanIso

DuncanIso Well-Known Member

1,359 Messages
    1,032 Likes Received
    I wouldnt blame LVE with the problems we are seeing with the defense.

In 2018, 3 defensive players were responsible for most of the sacks and QB hits.

DLaw, RGregory, and TCrawford.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2018.htm

The LBs on the team do not blitz much.

12. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

9,846 Messages
    8,362 Likes Received
    I was referring to a *particular* play with the post you referred to. I think it was Saqon's big run.

13. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

30,938 Messages
    21,108 Likes Received
    He's been chiefly responsible for developing DLaw, Woods, Collins, Armstrong, Gregory, and others. He's not calling plays and i am fine with him in his role.

TwentyOne and Kaiser like this.
  14. KMY_Amber

KMY_Amber Active Member

189 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    I said this 2 years ago, so I think it's overdue. He can teach a specific thing, like tackling, and I'm fine with him being there for player development....but don't want him anywhere near the defensive game plans, schemes or strategies any longer. Those stale, unimaginative, no-deception schemes are simply too susceptible to being picked apart by a good OC and QB.

stasheroo likes this.
  15. KMY_Amber

KMY_Amber Active Member

189 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    Exactly. So done with this philosophy, which puts little fear in our opponents. Not intimidating at all.

DuncanIso likes this.
  16. OldJarhead

OldJarhead Active Member

177 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    ***? Was the old man on the field?
    I didn't think so.
    The PLAYERS screwed the pooch on that game. Even though the defense gave up all those yards on the ground, the team still had a chance to win and why didn't they? ..........

17. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Well-Known Member

2,744 Messages
    2,383 Likes Received
    Agreed. They don't pay him just to clap, that's Garrett's job. Personally I don't like the way he picks DL, never did. I like our LBs and CBs, but the biggest problem with the defense IMO has been Marinelli's style of DL.

stasheroo likes this.
  18. robertfchew

robertfchew Well-Known Member

882 Messages
    580 Likes Received

I don’t disagree that he should be let go but Rodgers wasn’t on one leg. That guy fakes every injury. Watch next time he is hurt he will forget the limp or whatever and then just randomly start it again.

19. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

8,921 Messages
    5,248 Likes Received
    It's actually not. That's been addressed by Bob Sturm (and referenced earlier in the thread).

20. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

8,921 Messages
    5,248 Likes Received
    Agreed. That's why I said earlier that Rod needs to be shut out of the talent evaluation/acquisition phase of the football operation.