Maybe Garrett would do better if he knew he was on the hot seat

Big_D

Reaction score
I’ve done my part . I’ve pulled out tens of thousands dollars of support a year. And influenced thousands others to do the same before stadium was built.

Once the stadium was built and PSL’s sold. Game Over. I waved my white flag years ago and simply watch from a distance.

I’m one of those apathetic fans Jerry has acknowledged but turned a deaf ear to.And others bashed me for calling for a financial boycott. This is it. We’re screwed.

I agree, I don't support him either. The guy doesn't care about the fans. That's been very obvious.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
With Jerry coming out saying Garrett isn't on the hot seat even this year is backfiring....by that I mean that puts Garrett in a no lose situation regardless of how the season unfolds.

Garrett has been coddled by Jerry since day one.......maybe that should change.

If Garrett was in the hot seat, he'd be working real hard to line up this year's fall guy in his stead.

It's better if Garrett doesn't see it coming.

Sun Tzu
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

mmohican29

Reaction score
For the last 5 years, Garrett has either had an injury as an excuse or followed up a mediocre season with a 12 or 13 win season and a divisional playoff loss which has led to Jerry keeping him, and possibly even justifiably so. However, the way in which we've lost the past 10-12 losses I think has to prompt Jerry to do something after this season if it's anything short of a season where we win at least one playoff game. Jerry is starting to realize he's not going to be around forever, and that he has an ever-shrinking window to make a move at HC and QB to right the ship if he ever hopes to see another Lombardi. There's this big part of me that hopes the Carolina loss was just our usual even numbered year opening loss and we turn it around this week and string together a 12 year season like in 2014 and 2016. Both years we were coming off rough seasons the year before, and both years started off with losses where the team and QB looked and played pretty bad (especially the 2014 opener against San Francisco). Then again, there's this other part of me that hopes if Garrett and Dak don't turn elite this season that we go 1-15, draft a QB, fire Garrett, and still have lots of cap room for a new coach to play with the next 3-4 years. Obviously I am rooting for Dak and even Garrett (he is the head coach of my favorite team after all) and would prefer to see them succeed instead but it seems more and more unlikely the further we get into both of their careers.

Jerry doesn't understand diddly and doesn't realize anything.

Jerry thinks he just turned 49 and his dream is to own an NFL football team. He's eyeing the team in Dallas, and thinks he can do better than current ownership.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
You mean Wade’s three winning seasons and first playoff victory in seventeen years means he gave Wade longer than he should have..

I mean it’s not like in Wade’s last season, Garrett’s offense had 19 TOs in 8 games.. O wait a minute they did... it’s not like a year before Jerry leveraged the draft to bring Roy Williams here to open up Garrett’s ailing offense, which didn’t help. It’s not like Jerry reneged last minute on bringing Dan Reeves here to babysit Jason Garrett as regards running the ball..

Who exactly did Jerry give longer time than he should have?
Wade was not a good head coach, but that doesn’t mean JG is. He should have been fired years ago. It’s coming though.

Doomsay

Reaction score
I realized along time ago that Garrett is the only reason they have been as good as they have been..I dont consider him the best head coach for the Cowboys, However he at present is the right coach, and remember this after you get what you think you want, you will realize I was right on..
Yeah, never.

Doomsay

Reaction score
You must not remember how that went all the way through the nineties until Parcels.

THAT game sunday you can put right on Smith and Collins in the first qtr. DAK DID get sloppy when they opened it up some, but Carolina did a nice job if taking advantage of the offenses mistakes..Conner and Looney has decent games but everybody on the offense played like a team that didnt play together in preseason..Linehan did a good job of play selection and Changeup but fups by the oline pretty much wasted the Cowboys in the first half, and worse had Dak not confident. BLAME Garrett if you like, that is the easiest thing to do..

but everybody on the offense played like a team that didnt play together in preseason.. BLAME Garrett if you like, that is the easiest thing to do..

Textbook cognitive dissonance.

dfense

Reaction score
Maybe Jerrah gives Garrett more rope since he's realized he stuck these coaches with a bum QB. Just a thought.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Linehan runs the offense.

Marinelli and Kris Richard run the defense.

Stephen Jones and McClay make final roster decisions.

Unless a timeout was the problem, there was nothing Garrett could have done to make game 1 better.
Linehan runs the offense based on Garretts overall scheme and game plan. So yes, we can blame Garrett, We can also blame him for sitting our starters the entire preseason.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Linehan runs the offense based on Garretts overall scheme and game plan. So yes, we can blame Garrett, We can also blame him for sitting our starters the entire preseason.

False. Stephen Jones said this offseason that Linehan was going to be given full control of the offense. He even gave an example of how in retrospect that ot was a bad decision not to give Callahan control of the offense the year he was the OC.

Garrett's influence in 2017 was more about players and areas of focus than on scheme. Which players played and how much, etc..

phildadon86

Reaction score
False. Stephen Jones said this offseason that Linehan was going to be given full control of the offense. He even gave an example of how in retrospect that ot was a bad decision not to give Callahan control of the offense the year he was the OC.

Garrett's influence in 2017 was more about players and areas of focus than on scheme. Which players played and how much, etc..
I actually forgot about that. Thanks for explaining man.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually forgot about that. Thanks for explaining man.

I was shocked that he said it on the air.

This was obviously a Stephen Jones decision. I think Jerry has given SJ control because SJ was correct when he pushed Jerry to draft Martin over Manziel, not trade up for the QB Lynch and several other things that Jerry wanted to do but was talked out of it by SJ.

My concern is that if Linehan fails, then Jerry might see that as a failure by SJ which would cause Jerry to inject himself back into football operations.

It might also cause Jerry to give more control back to Garrett.

On the flip side, if they go to the playoffs, then Garrett might be here forever.

I've been more supportive of Garrett than most, but I do think it's time for a change.

Garrett did bring some stability and much much better discipline than Wade Phillips. I think Garrett's process approach did help them evolve in regards to a better draft approach and to avoiding stupid spur of the moment trades or free agent signings. Wade literally did nothing in those area except say "Yes Jerry" and to push for LB Jason Williams in the failed 2009 draft.

The problem with hiring a new head coach is that things could get worse (see Chip Kelly with the Eagles).

I would be OK with Garrett for 2019 if they make Kris Richard the DC in 2019 and then make him the Head Coach in 2020 (Garrett's contract expires after 2019). I'm a little concerned about making Richard the HC in 2019 because he might not be ready for that spotlight.