Maybe Nolan isnt the problem

Reaction score
They ranked 8th, 7th, and 9th over the previous three years. That ain't "soft". Bart Scott is a clueless hack who has hated the Cowboys for years. Now he takes the opportunity to jump on the bandwagon, despite not having any actual support for what he says. You go ahead and listen to him if you want, but I know who and what he truly is.
Final point by me: it's going to take a lot more than dumping Mike Nolan to fix what's wrong with this team.
In fact I don't think it is fixable at this point.

Sydla

Reaction score
You are only saying he sucks because of his last dc job.

How can you honestly evaluate him as a coordinator with the sucky players we have?

Because you can see things that have nothing to do with talent. Why we play coverages that we do. Why we are constantly confused at times (a holdover from the Falcons and criticism from former players like Asante Samuel). He's not a very good DC.

I firmly believe in 3 years, if he's still here, it won't matter how the roster has churned, we'll be a bad defensive team. There's a reason why after Altanta, all he could get was a LB coaching gig.

IMO, they should fire him immediately and get in here a new, maybe younger DC, that can grow with the franchise and let him spearhead a talent overhaul on defense. Nolan should not be involved in any rebuild here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Final point by me: it's going to take a lot more than dumping Mike Nolan to fix what's wrong with this team.
In fact I don't think it is fixable at this point.

I'll start with him and then go from there if things don't change.

But I'm not just quitting and saying "I don't think it's fixable".

And I'm certainly not taking advice from Bart Scott!

Sydla

Reaction score
I'll start with him and then go from there if things don't change.

But I'm not just quitting and saying "I don't think it's fixable".

And I'm certainly not taking advice from Bart Scott!

Nolan is the easiest and quickest thing you can change. Plus you want a guy in here that will help churn the roster in a way that works for him. I don't want Mike Nolan with 1,000 miles of a roster tweak/churn on defense.

pansophy

Reaction score
check out 2005 Niners and 2013-2014 Falcons.

Nolan wrecked both defenses.

we are next.
Yeah, this the argument against it being the players. The negative records we are breaking are ones that Nolan's defenses have set previously.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Two consecutive defensive heavy drafts, coupled with some solid SECOND contract free agent additions (after 2021 when the salaries of 54, 19 and 90 can be purged)....and the team can think about being respectable.

I think theres a SHOT McCarthy can be the guy that turns things around....especially if he gets pissed off about this year...but he is gonna need to do it with a different DC.

This Nolan scheme isn't gonna cut it, and the WORST thing that can be done here is to draft around what HE wants, then admit the mistake.

The key to things is getting him out of here ASAP.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nolan is the easiest and quickest thing you can change. Plus you want a guy in here that will help churn the roster in a way that works for him. I don't want Mike Nolan with 1,000 miles of a roster tweak/churn on defense.

And they actually have a far more accomplished defensive coordinator on staff in George Edwards. He got the shaft in Minnesota due to Zimmer family nepotism, not because he did a bad job. We need to give him an opportunity to turn this mess around. If he does, we've found our defensive coordinator, if not, at least we've seen that neither Nolan nor Edwards are the answer.

But it's clear that this is another lost season. We're not winning anything. So the lest thing we should do is to use every bit that we can to evaluate what we have and what we need. Don't pass up that opportunity because you think you can fool anybody and sneak out winning the worst division in football.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Understand but we can't just be the only ones getting dumb and soft players. It is a mentality that comes from the country club atmosphere. We don't have a monopoly on them, I think we create them!

We have an owner/President/GM who wants to be friends with his players. It's been apparent for years. Players know at the end of the day the coaches really don't have any authority. As long as Uncle Jerry likes them they're good.

It wasn't that way under Jimmy and Jerry hated it. Even Parcells was somewhat ("the player") neutered, and the rest of the guys have all been yes-men. That's what makes Jerry comfortable.

We need a strong coach with actual authority but that's not going to happen as long as Jerry runs the show.

morasp

Reaction score
In the game before ours the Bill's defense had some starters that were healthy scratches.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yea, owners get fired every day.

They just replaced the head coach. That's where accountability ends, as far as players are concerned.

Yeah, sure. Cowboys coaches can bench, discipline, or cut whoever they want. What team have you been watching? We had one coach with that authority and Jerry hated it.

Uncle Jerry doesn't empower his head coaches. It doesn't take long for players to figure out whose opinion of them matters, and whose does not.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Exactly.....and my biggest concern moving forward...I mean, other than the ones that arent going to change.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We have an owner/President/GM who wants to be friends with his players. It's been apparent for years. Players know at the end of the day the coaches really don't have any authority. As long as Uncle Jerry likes them they're good.

It wasn't that way under Jimmy and Jerry hated it. Even Parcells was somewhat ("the player") neutered, and the rest of the guys have all been yes-men. That's what makes Jerry comfortable.

We need a strong coach with actual authority but that's not going to happen as long as Jerry runs the show.
Well said, although you forgot slash "egomaniac" in the first sentence.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Because you can see things that have nothing to do with talent. Why we play coverages that we do. Why we are constantly confused at times (a holdover from the Falcons and criticism from former players like Asante Samuel). He's not a very good DC.

I firmly believe in 3 years, if he's still here, it won't matter how the roster has churned, we'll be a bad defensive team. There's a reason why after Altanta, all he could get was a LB coaching gig.
Sounds like a player issue to me

Worley not knowing hes in cover-3 and not covering the deep 3rd is on him not the coach.

Imagine an NFL Vet, not knowing how to play cover 3

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, sure. Cowboys coaches can bench, discipline, or cut whoever they want. What team have you been watching? We had one coach with that authority and Jerry hated it.

Uncle Jerry doesn't empower his head coaches. It doesn't take long for players to figure out whose opinion of them matters, and whose does not.
Yea this is nonsense. Jerry loved Parcells, and vice versa.

McCarthy benched two starters in the first quarter of the Cleveland game.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The players we have is simply a bad match with Nolan and his scheme.

What concerns me is why wasnt this recognized by McCarthy beforehand?

Starting to agree on the good ole boys theory. Someone can really come in here next year and look like a hero, and even more so in 2022.

Matter of the FO admitting the mistake and moving on. Not a great history there.

Man if theres one time I wouldnt mind if Jerry undermined the HC and fired a coordinator.....but of course this will be the time he doesnt