Maybe Nolan isnt the problem

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Well obviously if they are dumb of which I may argue. Or to soft-in which I would agree. It's all on the front office. Every year they bellow about how great they drafted and here we are again wondering where the talent is especially on defense. I'll give them the offense. On offense we have talent minus the last few O linemen they have drafted. But on defense? They have batted less then .200. Then bring in soft coaches to coach their soft players:facepalm: Jerry can say all the famous quotes he bellows out. But in the end the only quote that should matter is
OIP.nb15ls26VGT6rt4YPgdbYwAAAA

Jerry should paste this to every computer screen he has......

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think this 3-4 talk is very overblown. This is a 4-3 base defense. It has some 3-4 types of looks, but all the concepts are 4-3. The only real difference is either our ends going from stand up to hand in the ground.

The new scheme excuse is just that. Other teams have changed schemes with a short offseason, and are doing just fine.
The problem is up the middle. No tackles or safeties. We will see about the linebackers with LVE back.

Cmac

Reaction score
Skip Bayless on now, making excuses for the players.

Reaction score
What did Bart Scott say about Nolan's defenses rankings BEFORE he got to Dallas? I'm betting not much, because it would destroy his false narrative.

This goof has been trying to attack the Cowboys every chance he gets for years. He's a wannabe Shannon Sharpe and Screamin' A Smith.
You may not like Scott, and that's fine.

But he's not wrong in what he says. The Cowboys are cotton soft, from top to bottom. And have been since the day Bill Parcells left Valley Ranch for the last time.

I have no trouble sacking Nolan. Go for it. But its not going to change the toxic culture of this team. Until that's solved, this team will continue to spin it's wheels

camaro69

Benched
Reaction score
The issue is we changed the defense from a 4/3 to a 3/4. Then they tried to blend the defense by having DLaw and Griffin put their hand on the ground. I don’t understand why you would change to a 3/4 when we don’t have the linemen for that defense. I am hoping Gregory can play outside linebacker in this scheme.
This is exactly the problem. MM likes the 3/4 defense then why take a job with a team that has a 4/3 front. For this team to play a 3/4 it requires draft capital 1 or 2 pass rushing OLB, nose guard or zero Technique
you may want to draft two physical Inside LB, Will build a 3/4 defense then MM gets fired and the next coach want a 4/3. This is how bad team with bad management get stuck in a endless loop of losing
ever coach on this team is awful. MM didn't make A Rod it the other way around. What do you do with a coach that makes bad in game decision bad coaching hires? We don't have a real GM so we'll never know

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the Washington Whatever's are going to win on Sunday, FWIW.

I tend to agree. Washington's issues are largely tied to offense and just about anyone can move and score on Mike Nolan's D at this point.

He should be canned. Edwards should take over and simplify. Then find an elite DC in the offseason, not some old retread that has a questionable coaching history that just happens to be buddies with McCarthy.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Go ahead and fire Nolan or McCarthy, nothing will change until you start cutting one of these overpriced prima donnas.
They are missing that certain hunger.

When was the last time a Dallas player showed what Baker did on Monday?

It's the culture and atmosphere. Jerry's insistence on being the face of the franchise undermines coaches and makes a difficult job impossible.

No ones talking me out of that general idea.
If Jerry had any sense and actually cared about winning he would be looking for help on how to change this loser culture he has constructed. There is never any accountability for the players. Year after year they mail it in and somehow it’s magically the coaching.

Majic

Reaction score
I tend to agree. Washington's issues are largely tied to offense and just about anyone can move and score on Mike Nolan's D at this point.

He should be canned. Edwards should take over and simplify. Then find an elite DC in the offseason, not some old retread that has a questionable coaching history that just happens to be buddies with McCarthy.
The longer we keep losing, the more likely McCarthy and Nolan are bracketed and will be fired together

Listening to both Joneses on the fan they still clearly think right now it will get better

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The problem is up the middle. No tackles or safeties. We will see about the linebackers with LVE back.
Thats a fact. Honestly I think if they can find a pair of even average DTs this defense improves at all levels. Helps stuff the run, keeps lineman off you LBs and gives those guys easier reads. Helps your edge pass rush of the qb doesn't have an easy path to step up in the pocket.

Having a total loss at dt has been a death sentence. Good news is I really like gallimore. Hes very raw and not making plays yet, but he moves very well for a man of his size. He needs reps, but could be a star in this league

Sheepherder

Reaction score
There’s no accountability for anyone in this organization. Because if the people at the top are never held accountable, no one else can either. It’s really simple.
You are right. It is so simple and everybody that follows this team knows this because this has been going on for years. There is no accountability and the country club culture is tarnishing this once great franchise. It all starts at the top.

Majic

Reaction score
This is exactly the problem. MM likes the 3/4 defense then why take a job with a team that has a 4/3 front. For this team to play a 3/4 it requires draft capital 1 or 2 pass rushing OLB, nose guard or zero Technique
you may want to draft two physical Inside LB, Will build a 3/4 defense then MM gets fired and the next coach want a 4/3. This is how bad team with bad management get stuck in a endless loop of losing
ever coach on this team is awful. MM didn't make A Rod it the other way around. What do you do with a coach that makes bad in game decision bad coaching hires? We don't have a real GM so we'll never know
Because the 4/3 DEF has been terrible for the Cowboys and McCarthy realised immediately that we were missing out on talent (TJ Watt) because of this rigid scheme. Draft/Sign the best player available and build the scheme around them

Plankton

Reaction score
why would you create this kind of franchise? That’s the baffling part of this. Jerry as a businessman has to have some sense that running any org this way is madness.

Jerry Jones has turned a $141M investment into a $5B enterprise doing it this way. He thinks he's winning, and that his way works.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Bart Scott said he knows what hes doing and thats after basically saying he doesnt really care for him. And then he said everytime they played dallas they knew we were soft :laugh:

Basically said the players are too dumb and soft.

Can you blame him? These losers with Lawrence leading the charge were running around calling themselves HOTBOYZ?

Doesnt sound too scary to me.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Get me a Ken Norton in the middle. Heck. I'd take a Eugene Lockhart at this point. LVE..I like his talk but show the same on the field.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
What did Bart Scott say about Nolan's defenses rankings BEFORE he got to Dallas? I'm betting not much, because it would destroy his false narrative.

This goof has been trying to attack the Cowboys every chance he gets for years. He's a wannabe Shannon Sharpe and Screamin' A Smith.
Please tell me a mike nolan defense that underachieved that had more success after he left. His last stint in Atlanta had zero talent. A lot like this garbage defense.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I hear this all the time, but how does anyone outside the organization know anything about accountability?
Come on man all you have to do is watch. Players stink week after week after week and nothing changes. The Owner sticks by them and defends them and gives them early contract extensions. It is unbelievable if you just open your eyes.