Twitter: Maybe some Gregory/Thomas/Ryan news today?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what I'm thinking.....but it's truly telling that the Chargers just lost their safety for the year and Lynn says they are not interested although his former Seahawk coach is on their staff.

With the Chargers, I see a young team building something. Even if they did sign Thomas, where are they going with him? If they still had Rivers? Maybe.

Noticed 2-3 players trying to vouch for him yesterday on twitter. The question now is where the Cowboys fit coz unlike several other teams, they refuse to close the door. Of course, we have no idea but it makes me wonder if Stephen has put a low-ball take it or leave offer out there and he's waiting for something better.

I think that's the deal with Dallas. If they were to make an offer, it would have to be low money, no guarantees, pay-as-you-go type of deal, with no guarantees. That way McCarthy can easily cut him at the first sign of discord, and I think that's the coach's position on it. 'I'll agree to it if we can easily get out of it if he causes trouble for me.'

Just my opinion.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just a guess on my part, but I think the Jones boys have been working on a deal with Earl Thomas and his agent. One that pays him roster bonuses rather than any guarantees and that allows McCarthy to cut him if he acts up. I think those are the reassurances the coach and staff need so they can feel comfortable with his potential addition.
I'm okay with a deal, starting in week 2 so there is no season long guarentee.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm okay with a deal, starting in week 2 so there is no season long guarentee.

I'm OK with a vet minimum contract today, with per week roster bonuses for everything else. I'd rather get him in as soon as possible to get him up to speed on the defense. You bring him in for week two and it's probably at least a month before he knows the defense and playcalls.

But I'm betting there's still quite a bit of ego involved wth Thomas, and that he's not ready to accept a pay as you go deal yet.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm OK with a vet minimum contract today, with per week roster bonuses for everything else. I'd rather get him in as soon as possible to get him up to speed on the defense. You bring him in for week two and it's probably at least a month before he knows the defense and playcalls.

But I'm betting there's still quite a bit of ego involved wth Thomas, and that he's not ready to accept a pay as you go deal yet.
Okay, somewhere between $730K to ~1 million. Not bad. Maybe 100K/game after that with other incentives for proformace?

I still would rather sign in week 2 for the psychological purpose, he got a ton of money from Baltimore, so maybe it's not about money but ego and pride?

Below is what I found on vet min salary.

"The minimum for players with one year of experience would jump from $585,000 to around $730,000. And so on up to the 10-year veteran minimum, which is currently scheduled to be $1.045 million in 2020 but would rise to roughly $1.3 million.Feb 19, 2020"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, somewhere between $730K to ~1 million. Not bad. Maybe 100K/game after that with other incentives for proformace?

I still would rather sign in week 2 for the psychological purpose, he got a ton of money from Baltimore, so maybe it's not about money but ego and pride?

Below is what I found on vet min salary.

"The minimum for players with one year of experience would jump from $585,000 to around $730,000. And so on up to the 10-year veteran minimum, which is currently scheduled to be $1.045 million in 2020 but would rise to roughly $1.3 million.Feb 19, 2020"

That's a risk I'd be willing to take to get the guy here learning the defense. They're taking far bigger hits than that already. And if Thomas is to provide veteran leadership and stability for a young and changing secondary, that means he has to know what he's doing first.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Gregory partial seasons anyway. He has to spend half the year getting in shape for football, but still gets a full accrued season.

With Aldon and Griffen both looking good, and maybe Anae too, I'd rather Gregory just come back next year when Aldon and Griffen leave.
thinking small, with covid hanging over the season players will be out a few weeks here and there MORE depth is needed everywhere, Gregory would be great guy for this..I think RG is as usually playing football god and just never follows a consistent path for these things and just lets players hang out to dry as he seems fit..i hate personality's like his and hes ruining Football IMO..

whats Goodell using a magic 8ball for guidance?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well there WAS some Logan Ryan news, he signed with the Giants.
:laugh:

I guess we will find out if we should have signed him depending on if he can Cover Gallup, AC, and or Lamb..if he cant stop them then we know why he sat unsigned until a week before the season starts..if he shuts his player down or limits them we will sit here and go dang we needed corner and didnt go after him..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Just a guess on my part, but I think the Jones boys have been working on a deal with Earl Thomas and his agent. One that pays him roster bonuses rather than any guarantees and that allows McCarthy to cut him if he acts up. I think those are the reassurances the coach and staff need so they can feel comfortable with his potential addition.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess we will find out if we should have signed him depending on if he can Cover Gallup, AC, and or Lamb..if he cant stop them then we know why he sat unsigned until a week before the season starts..if he shuts his player down or limits them we will sit here and go dang we needed corner and didnt go after him..

The reason why he sat unsigned for so long was exactly what we all thought. He was demanding $10 million and no team was willing to pay that. When he came down off of his high horse, he immediately found a team.

Clowney is in the same boat, but apparently has yet to lower his demands to a reasonable level.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that pic after he lost some weight. I thought it was a joke.

Seriously. I don’t think it gets talked about enough. If I was his friend I would be all over him to change it. The guy is a football guy. I guess he still is anyway. That pic depicts a creepy college professor or a regional leader of NAMBLA.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The reason why he sat unsigned for so long was exactly what we all thought. He was demanding $10 million and no team was willing to pay that. When he came down off of his high horse, he immediately found a team.

Clowney is in the same boat, but apparently has yet to lower his demands to a reasonable level.

When Clowney came into the league he was supposed to revolutionize the position. 6 years in and the guy has 32 sacks. Misses games every year. A year older. He has a reputation but not much production. Layer in that attitude and who is going to give that guy a big contract. If he can tap the breaks on the attitude, accept a show me contract, and actually ball out he could be in line for a pay day NEXT year.

blueblood70

Reaction score

clowney lowered his price quite bit at least twice but has a limited team wish list , apparently Cleveland wasn't it because they were willing to pay him his asking price..dude needs to work but is being picky..

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Seriously. I don’t think it gets talked about enough. If I was his friend I would be all over him to change it. The guy is a football guy. I guess he still is anyway. That pic depicts a creepy college professor or a regional leader of NAMBLA.
Broaddus comes across as tone deaf. I think he is all about football. I bet he thinks he looks good.